3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Classic Whip or MOAB  (Read 258 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Classic Whip or MOAB
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I have been looking at both these bows for a while.  One of em is gonna be my next bow.  I'm leaning towards the Whip cause I can get it longer.  I know that everyone has there own opinion and you need to shoot a bow to determine if it is right for you.  I would just like to here what folks who have em have to say.  Some pics would be nice too.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Classic Whip or MOAB
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Hatchchaser, all I can speak for is the Thunderstick
I have owned a few the Moab is by far the best longbow I have ever shot. Fast and dead in your hand
I also like the Thunderstick III

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
MOAB is a Hybrid. You can get a Thunderstick of any of the versions in up to 68" long and they would be a closer comparison to a Classic. Both are excellent bowyers and you really can't go wrong either way.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I can't speak for the MOAB, but I do own a 64" whip classic that I love. I was a recurve guy until this bow and its all I shoot. I think you can't find better service than Mr. Toelke. I bet he could have a bow to you in 4-5 weeks as well. Here's a couple pics. BTW my bow has cocobolo riser with Juniper Venneers 51# @ 32".

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Those juniper limbs are what I want.  I was thinking maybe a dark walnut for the riser.  I've never heard a negative remark about either bow or bowyer.  Anyone who has shot both, which is quieter.  Which is faster.  I am more interested in the noise factor.  Most bows I pick up are plenty fast with my 30" plus draw.  Any opinions please.  Thanks and yall have a Merry Christmas.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Hatch... My experience is with whips... A decent arrow weight and they are quiet, but then I use lil wool balls on the 3rds and 4ths cut to 3/4 inch and it is silent!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
I own both , well not exactly my thunderstick is a thunderstick III, and my go to longbow is a whip, My whip I can say is the most silent bow I have ever seen , that is verifed with whover I shot with. I think Dan can get out your custom bow fast and Jim will take probably 7 to 8 months, you will never go wrong with anyone of them but I will vote for the whip, they are very similiar in design also
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Any suggestions for a native North American wood for a riser  with juniper limbs.  I was thinking black walnut.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Osage may look nice. Or maybe quilted maple.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Hatchchaser, I believe Dan may have a nice piece of dark figured walnut right now and a dark piece of Texas Ebony could probably work well with the right Juniper, I would call Dan for suggestions. I own and have shot a number of Whips and every one has been a superb shooter in every respect. Concerning quietness, with just the supplied "cat whiskers" which I have sometimes cut down to 1/3 the original diameter they are ridiculously QUIET and I know it's not just me because other shooters regularly comment about it.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Hatchchaser,   Jim is correct, best thing to do is call Dan on wood selection.  He is a bit picky about specific woods and what he will use.  

I have gotten very lucky and ended up with wood combos I would have picked, and these were stock bows that Dan had on his site (Classic Whip w/Cocabola riser/Curly Hickory limbs,  "Super" D w/Macassar Ebony riser/Quilted Hickory limbs).

The only bow I "ordered" is a Classic Chinook with Macassar Ebony riser, and Zebrawood limbs.  He was about out of the batch of Zebra he had that was exhibition grade so I made sure I got my name on it!

Ive always wanted a Walnut riser, specifically Black Walnut,  but its really hard to find any with proper density for a riser.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I've owned both and can say that you can't go wrong with either. In fact, both are bows everyone should own! LOL
I'd sell something and buy both!
Both are equals as shooters and the Whip's, in my opinion, are always cosmetically perfect.
I believe Dan will make up whatever you want and send it to you. If you don't like it, he'll take it back and sell as a stock bow. But a warning, if you do that, you won't be sending it back. LOL You'll want to keep it.
A 64" Whip, classic or not, is a bow everyone should own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©