3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HUMBLED!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HUMBLED!
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
It does not matter to me personally but it is not just for classified dealings according to the original post.
 "What is being rating? Well, classifieds deals, for one. But a rating could also be an indication of your posting value in terms of helping out folks, sharing info, knowledge base, and generally being just a good person."  
Merry Christmas Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
The Mods ARE responsible for consistency & common respect throughout which is why good folks participate. Thanks all.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by JoeM:
It does not matter to me personally but it is not just for classified dealings according to the original post.
 "What is being rating? Well, classifieds deals, for one. But a rating could also be an indication of your posting value in terms of helping out folks, sharing info, knowledge base, and generally being just a good person."  
Merry Christmas Joe
the member rating system can be whatever you want it to be, or don't turn it on for your profile.

as guru alluded to, in the best of all world's it can be an indication of how you participate in the classifieds.  it's just a tool.  turn it on or off - use it or not - all are your calls.

another tool that hasn't been mentioned yet is your profile signature line.  if you have had a good classifieds deal with another member, mention that in your signature line, perhaps as ...

"GOOD MEMBER DEALS WITH - (add the member handles that apply here)."
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
C'mon folks, give it a chance. We are criticizing something that just got started. I'm sure the mods are going to need time to work out some kinks, but we have to let time take it's toll. If you don't care for it then opt out. Just give things time to work themselves out.
Question: Would it be too much work for someone who rates someone too low to have to explain to A mod(via PM only) why he/she rated that person that low? This might be too much work but I wanted to ask.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Since we are on the subject, I would like to say that I hadn't thought about the classifieds. I see how they could be useful to some people, but I never thought about selling stuff, especially being across the border (extra shipping costs, duty, exchange, etc.).

I thought that the rating was to assess a person's credibility,experience, helpfulness, personality, etc. pertaining to their posts (and I guess it could be used that way too).

I understand now, and the whole thing makes more sense.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Question: Would it be too much work for someone who rates someone too low to have to explain to A mod(via PM only) why he/she rated that person that low? This might be too much work but I wanted to ask.

Mike
mike, i wrote a program that identifies just what member rated what other member(s) and what rating each one has.  so we do have that confidential info (only available to admin) that will NOT be shared.  

HOWEVER, *if* we see a 'pattern' whereby a member is 'stuffing the ballot box' by dishing out predominantly low ratings, we're gonna have a chat with that member.

only takes less than one second for my code to read through many thousands of member profile records and spit out who done what to whom.  

the big question will be 'why?'.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I like the idea of the rating be used for the classifieds like Curt (Guru) said. It could be helpful identifying those who have made bad deals with our members.
But like MikeM stated the original explanation of the rating system didn't spell it out that way.  Glad I got a better understanding now.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks Rob.  :thumbsup:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
When the ratings started I just rated everyone I could remember dealing with from the classifieds, all Class Acts of course. I  couldn't imagine a case where I'd rate anyone, good or bad, for anything else, since anything other than a physical transaction is my OPINION, which could be wrong.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
When the ratings started I just rated everyone I could remember dealing with from the classifieds, all Class Acts of course. I  couldn't imagine a case where I'd rate anyone, good or bad, for anything else, since anything other than a physical transaction is my OPINION, which could be wrong.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Don't sweat it...let's leave the popularity contests to the high schools!
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
IpcJon2,

I may have reacted too strongly to one of your posts and I apologize.  Sometimes I take things too seriously or fail to see the implied humor.  

However, Hunting, fishing, wildlife, and all things outdoor related the outdoors are the most important parts of my life outside of my family. Many places that I hunted and fished are long gone and knuckleheads have been all too common over the years.

Anyway, you sound like a really good guy with strong values and ethics, and one who is serious about hunting.  In addition,I have enjoyed reading many of your posts. I am glad you are here.  

Nevertheless, I am glad rating system isn't based upon posts as I don't do well in popularity contests, especially when I believe strongly in the subject. However, loyalty is one of my best assets.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Did the rating system disappear???

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by adirondack46r:
Did the rating system disappear???
gone like a buck what caught yer scent ...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Site seems faster now Rob.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    yep seems faster to me too!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Site seems faster now Rob.
speed was never an issue.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Used properly it was a good idea. You guys will think of a way to make it work with the classifieds. Appreciate your efforts, you had our best interest in mind. As to personal ratings!

I believe we should be thoughtful of others and choose our words appropriately, but we should also speak straight and honest with a sincereity that comes from our heart. To do so should not penalize us in any manner.

F R
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Used properly it was a good idea. You guys will think of a way to make it work with the classifieds. Appreciate your efforts, you had our best interest in mind. As to personal ratings!

I believe we should be thoughtful of others and choose our words appropriately, but we should also speak straight and honest with a sincereity that comes from our heart. To do so should not penalize us in any manner.

F R

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
oops! sorry for the double post, lagging a little

Venatôr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©