3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool hunting clothing????  (Read 779 times)

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool hunting clothing????
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Best wool hunting clothing for the buck? I know that KOM and maybe Sleeping Indian are  top end along with some others. I've looked at the Columbia line. I realize they are wool blend, but does that make a huge difference? Obviously good range of movement is necessary for bowhunting. Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys and a Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool hunting clothing????
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
It doesn't get 10-20 below where I live but I have a longhunter( Ron LeClair's) wool shirt and do a fleece or sweater under it I like the fact it goes over my rear and front and nothing to get in the way.and its warm as well.I guess it depends on how cold it gets where your at.In NC it would be great I was stationed their.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
I bought some Swedish Army wool pants for $34 that are very good quality. Look on line at the army navy stores.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
Yes, I'm also gonna follow this post closely because I'm to the point that I want to replace all my hunting cloths with wool. It will be nice to hear some opinions from experienced users.  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
The only thing I know about wool is that as I get older the more I like wool.
When I was a young man I hated anything and everything wool.  It was too itchy, too scratchy, I couldn't find any redemptive qualities in the stuff.
Along came "smart wool" and I tried it. Then I sewed myself a pullover out of a wool blanket. My list of wool garments has just continued to grow as has my love for it.

I seriously doubt that the qualities of wool have changed since then so why the change in attitude? IDK

I got some information somewhere that I would like to investigate. Is it true that you're better off with a high wool blend rather than 100% wool. I either read or was told this was true because there was enough wool to keep you warm but enough synthetic material that it wasn't attractive to the critters that like to eat wool
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »
I have the guide series from cabalas. I like it,it is very warm.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
I have several wool garmets , swandri 3/4 length, woolrich shirt jackets, KOM pullover, Teresa Asbell Pullover, Cabelas outfitter wool,LL bean wool . What I have found is you pay for quality , BUT you don't need to pay for the TOP of the line stuff . LL bean makes good stuff, as does woolrich . I bought 7 shirt/jackets off e-bay last winter for under $ 100  2 brand new with tags. Also check goodwill in your area.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
I might be a little bias but Woolrich has been a Pa. work and hunting garment for over 100 years. You can still buy a new coat for under 200 dollars and it will last you a life time.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
The 2 main differences between top of the line wool and less expensive wool are the tightness of the weave and the blend %. The tighter weaves help to block the wind and you will notice the difference if you spend alot of time outside in cold windy places. Any blend % above 80 will give you all the good properties wool gives you as an outdoor garment. I prefer to buy my wool in the thrift shops like so many others on the site do. I do have a KOM jacket and it is the best jacket that I ever owned.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I have KOM shirt and pants you cannot wear it out! But if it is windy and cold it is not warm, at least for me anyway. I would buy wool with a wind block liner if you hunt where it is cold and you will be sitting.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
I am a woolaholic and I'm not looking for a cure! I absolutely love the stuff. I have mostly KOM brand, but also have the Asbel pullovers, Woolrich, & Columbia wool as well.

Buy a good pair of bibs (use KOM, Gray Wolf, or Sleeping Indian... and use an Asbell pullover) and you got a winner without a ton of bulk. I always use a layer of heavy silk as a base layer, the a woolpower 400 series top and bottom undergarment, and then the bibs and pullover. Granted in Mississippi it does'nt often get below 20 but it is likely warm well below that.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I've hunted with wool exclusively all my life.  Right now I have KOM, Autumnwood, Sleeping Indian and Weatherby for external camo layers and Woolrich, Bean and Pendleton shirts for under layers, with some silk, Ufrotte and other wool long john tops and bottoms.  Wool has a lot of good qualities, but stopping the wind isn't one of them.  No wool will do it by itself.  If you're likely to hunt in very windy conditions, buy some stuff with a wind blocker in it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Its like anything else...you get what you pay for. Keep an eye out on the classifieds here for good wool at a reduced price, there are some real deals. Goodwill and such have brand name stuff at crazy low prices. Sweaters, vests, coat and jackets that wool make great hunting gear. You can get a size bigger to layer up. Wool is your friend!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
I like Filson, always some for sale on the auction site.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
My system right now is ulfrotte long underwear underneath some Sleeping Indian pants and jacket, and I can sit in cold temperatures.  try to wear wool clothing over cotton shirts or cotton long underwear.  DONT do this!  The two fabrics are only fighting each other.  Get yourself some Ulfrotte longunderwear, and put this under your outer layer.  You will stay toasty warm!

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Day One w/windstopper, firstlite, filson and smartwool. I would stay away from blends personally, wool does the best job alone and the synthetics only hinder what mother nature made as a near perfect winter gear. Just my .02 cents.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I have heavy wool military pants, a bunch of lambswool sweaters from Goodwool, and an Asbell pullover. I stay toasty and dry!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
I have filson, sleeping indian, pendleton, smartwool longjohns, cabela's windshear sweater. I personally love filson wool clothing, from pants to jackets, the stuff wears like iron, but when the wind blows you cant beat the cabelas windshear wool sweater, worth its weight in gold, also smartwool thermals with a smartwool neck-gaitor is the key to my outfit. Hope this helps.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I have Pendelton,Browning,Cabelas and Columbia. Each one has a certain application depending on the temperature and conditons out. I do know that with wool on my movement is almost silent, but early in the season when I wear cotton my movement in the stand is almost immediately noticed by animals and walking in to me sounds like I'm rattling cans compared to wool!   Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
I used the columbia coat and pants for several years and I liked it for warmth but didn't like the bulk of it.  I bought some KOM pants and a bowhunter jacket off of the classifieds here and I'm really impressed with it.  The KOM is alot less bulky and I'm pretty surprised at how much warmer it is.  I think you really do get what you pay for, but at the same time the columbia is a good alternative if you want to save some $$.  Then again, if you average out the price to comfort and durability over years and years I think it's worth it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©