3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool hunting clothing????  (Read 780 times)

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool hunting clothing????
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I own both of Ron Le Clairs Longhunter shirts. I layer my clothing starting with long johns, sock liners, wool socks, fleece lined pants, a wool sweater or a hoody sweatshirt. Over that I can wear my Gatlin Wool bibs, 100 below rated Sorel boots, Both of the Longhunter shirts and a watch cap for my head. This setup keeps me plenty warm when it gets cold and windy here in North Jersey. If I need to I'll wear my Gatlin Wool coat over everything I listed.

Just remember to wear less when you are hiking into your stand and then add layers as needed when you start cooling off.

I used a lot of this layering system while deer hunting here in the early mornings when the temp was in the upper teens. But I didn't need to wear every layer that I listed. I was comfy wearing the heavy longhunter shirt over a wool sweater and longjohns and my wool bibs.

How cold does N. Carolina get? I've never been there.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Not cold enough. Deer season is over this weekend. Probably the coldest this year is maybe high 20's.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
So much good has been talked about wool it almost needs it's own forum. Never had any wool until Woodchucker hooked me up with my sweaters. Than it was Justin charles wool longunderwear. Than i got ahold of a heavy wool longhunter shirt and love it. But when it is really cold have to layer up heavy. This past month i got a Dayone wool parka that is insulated with windstopper. I figured it would be too bulky. But i been wearing it shooting and it is not bulky at all. I wore it one day in 20 something degrees and 25 mile hour wind with very bad windchill. Nothing on under it but a tshirt and it is the warmest coat i ever had.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
The European populations always depended on whools,same for the best climbers that are been over the peaks of the top Mountain around the world up to 30,000 feet.They have just the outer shell of sintetic.I use different layers of whool under my King of the Mountain Jacket.Why KOM and not a cheaper one? Because it has some features that other don't carry.Double, padded, elbows,double layer on back and shoulders to protect from rain,very low profile pockets and tight sleeves to don't interfer with your bowstring.Same for the pant build for sit in the snow with out getting wet.The overall quality of the fabric is top level too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
My system right now is ulfrotte long underwear underneath some Sleeping Indian pants and jacket, and I can sit in cold temperatures.  try to wear wool clothing over cotton shirts or cotton long underwear.  DONT do this!  The two fabrics are only fighting each other.  Get yourself some Ulfrotte longunderwear, and put this under your outer layer.  You will stay toasty warm!
Ulfrotte,Worth it's weight in gold!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Ulfrotte is plain warm.  I love the stuff.

Dave

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Look at Filson wool.well made.very warm.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Filson socks at $25 a pair will hike you farther, keep your feet warmer and last forever. The high quality Marino wool is amazing. With these socks, a set of their long johns and a good shell you can outlast anything else I've tried, sitting still or hiking hard...IMHO
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
My advice is to buy wool, buy quality the first time and only spend the money once.  

I went the thrift store route with wool for a few years but found it bulky, it didn't block the wind well, and most important it didn’t keep me warm.  Flat out it didn’t keep me warm  when I needed it the most, while sitting on a tree stand in Montana from November through January when it is -10 to -40 and the wind blowing between 5 and 30 mph.  I broke down and bought some Hidden Wolf when it first came out around 1998 and have since replaced all my cheap, Umm….I mean inexpensive thrift store, wool since then.  My favorite wool is Gray/Hidden Wolf because of the tight weave, weight, fit (it is designed for bowhunting and not as bulky as KOM), and patterns (predator & plaid).  After Gray Wolf I prefer King of the Mountain, Sleeping Indian, Swandri (when I can find it), and Filson.  Like most people, the retail price for wool clothing from these companies is beyond my budget.  Heck, you could pay for a good out of state hunt for the price of pants, shirt, and jacket.  It took several years but I eventually found all the wool I wanted/needed, either in the classifieds here or at the auction site, for my self imposed price limit of 50% of retail.  Yeah, I know, that is still a lot of money for most of us, especially for used clothing, and it took several years to get everything, but I have never regretted spending the time or money.  Also, if you buy it used and are not satisfied with it, re-sell it on the classifieds and get you money back.

There is clothing made from synthetic materials out there but all that I have seen or tried has at least one, if not two big draw backs, they are noisy and/or bulky.  I haven’t found anything warmer, while sitting a late season tree stand, then a quality snow mobile suit.  However, it is also was the most bulky and noisiest clothing I have worn while hunting.  It didn’t work very well.  I have friends who hunt late season in the latest synthetic hunting gear, and they swear by it, until the temperature drops below zero, then they are wearing their KOM, SI, HW, or Filson in the tree stands to stay warm.  Another comment they make is that the other stuff “makes to much noise”.

One note, this recommendation is for sitting or little movement when hunting, if you will be exerting yourself other types of wool work fine.  For example, when hunting mountain lions, unless it is below -20, I wear a $5.00 pair of European military wool pants because my KOM’s and GW’s are too hot while chasing hounds around the mountains.  However, the military pants need to be replaced every year or two where the others have lasted for ten years and have at least another ten or twenty years of use left in them.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I have had great luck lately at Goodwill,nobody seems to want wool. I got two LL Bean sweaters and a Pendleton shirt all for less than 8 bucks.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm going to Goodwill first thing Monday.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Doesn't happen every time but it happens enough to keep me checking.Only takes a few minutes  and you never know.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Best for the money - I'm sold on my longhunter shirt *and* hood from Ron L.  Want to get the Asbell macanaw as well but the longhunter is inexpensive and it works very well.

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Buy quality wool ( thick weave weather-proof, machine-washable). You won't regret it, and above all, you will spend money one time only.

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
If you like the traditional look, try Johnson Woolen Mills. They have been in business since 1842.  Not cheap but really good stuff.  They hav e website, same name.  rightminded

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I have used and loved wool for decades and I think it beats anything for certain applications... but neither wool, nor any particular type of wool, is the right tool for every job, so I mix wool and synthetics to make best use of both.

On top, I wear wool shirts (Pendleton and Woolrich) on the outside in warm weather and inside in cold.  I add a lightweight insulated Woolrich jacket under a windstopper pullover for sitting on cold, windy days.

On the bottom, I wear lightweight (!) wool pants when the temperatures drop to zero, and I've found no equal for walking in snow.  Snow and moisture don't get through or compact them, they breathe so you stay dry, and they don't become cold to the touch like synthetics.  For sitting in cold temperatures, I pull windproof synthetic insulated bibs over the top.  Wool can't compete with the light weight, compressibility, or warmth, and bibs don't really contribute noise when drawing a bow.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
The high-end brand names are expensive and don't always fit in with the rural budgets.  I doubt they keep you any warmer than good second hand wool garments; sweaters, pants ($39.95 via internet), shirts, jackets, vests, etc.

I saw a sleeping Indian once at a bus station, but I don't own any.  No KOM, or other high-falutin' brand, but I stay warm and comfortable in what I find doing internet searches and frequent stops at the local Goodwill Store.  Layering with good wool will keep you warm.  Don't forget the neck and midrift area when layering for cold weather hunts. And, of course, feet and head.

Now if you have to impress your hunting buddies, you may need to go another route 8^).

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
A very important item I like is a wool scraf, keeps the neck warm and out of the wind,also can use it as a face cover to hide this old ugly mug...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Adding to what Mr. Vic said above, I had my Sitka jacket fall out of my packpack this morning and sat with just my DayOne wool vest (w/windstop) and it was like 23 and a windchill of 8 degress out this morning for 2.5 hours. Never did get cold!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I like Filson-it is a little pricey but very well made and warm!

Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©