3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javelilna hunting  (Read 412 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Javelilna hunting
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Javelina has become my favorite kind of hunting. I have to travel a long way to do it, but it is worth the long drive to Texas from Alabama. One of the things I like is that they are out and moving almost all day, not just mornings and evenings. I also like the very close shots.
Does anyone know of any special "tricks" or methods for finding and hunting them?
One thing I learned that shocked me was that if I shoot (when they are in a group) and they scatter, I blow very loud and fast on a javelina call and often they come charging back in. Wow is that exciting!
John

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javelilna hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
John... I'm with you!  My hunt in Oct. was supposed to be javies and hogs, but once I saw (and got) a javie, I seemed to lose all interest in the hogs.  I got to watch a javie group for a couple of hours from about 15 yards and got fantastic pix.

I hadn't heard of a javie call.   Can you tell me more about that?
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Dick,
It is basically a predator call. Javies respond to distress calls, and as I understand it, the predator call is close to a javelina in trouble. It should be exciting to use.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to get me one.  I'm looking forward to another Texas hunt in about March, when Curtis recovers from his accident.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Just when and ordered one.  Going on a javie hunt in Febuary and have to give that one a try.  Thanks for the tip John  ;)
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I use my call when I miss, it usually gives me another chance. But if you use one, be ready, they come charging in as if they will attack you, very exciting. The calls sound like a wounded rabbit call, bow it as loud and as fast as you can.
The javes can come from any direction, so be ready fast!
Which hunt are  you headed for in feb? I am going to the Texsas shootout (Texasshoot-out.com)
John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
2 years ago I was stalking one. The thing kept crossing back and forth across the road/sendero.
It went into the brush and came out at about 15' and stood broadside. I drew and shot quick thinking it would see me and run. I missed it, from 15'!
It turned and walked back across the road. I took a quartering away shot at about 18 yds and made a perfect hit. I concentrated harder at 18 yds and a slow walk than at 15'. Love those little critters!
John

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
John,
There are about eight of us headed for a ranch down near Marfa TX this Feb.  Lots of Javelina and some hogs too.  They say the hogs are the hardest to spot and stalk so I'm really looking forward to it.    Been wanting to do it for a long time so I'm pretty excited to give it a whirl. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Javies are on my "bucket list".  Would dearly love to spend some time down south one of these winters and chase them around.  Just seems like it would be a hoot!

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Watched a Bowhunter TV segment this week where they were doing exactly that, calling.  It seemed to work great, as Larry D. Jones got a double out of the group that responded to the call.  I would love to try it out in the future!
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
http://www.javelinahunter.com/

This site has great info. During a rather slow day of deer hunting my son and I used their J-13 call to get two boars to come to within feet from over 300 yards across a canyon. We were  just trying to see if it would work. We were forced to run them off by throwing rocks but then called them back in again.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
John

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Love hunting Javies
they are a lot of fun and exciting
puffed up popping and snapping their teeth
Not very difficult to hunt but worth every second you spend doing it.

There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Are They good to eat?  I would love to hunt for them someday but am quite far from any know populations.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Sounds like fun.Are they edible?glen

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
C.S. Check out this site Great Hunt, a lot of people from all over the ststes go!
 http://m.www.texasshoot-out.com/

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I have been told that there are a lot of javelina on this ranch.
I hope that is correct, can't wait to get there.
John

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
My brothers and I are going on a hunt with Mihaska Outfitters the first week of March.  I can't wait.  Looking forward to seeing new country and some animals I have never seen.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Neat thread!
Planning on going on a javelina hunt in January in Arizona so this thread is timely  :)
Craig

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
leaving friday for west  texas will be my first shot at javis cant wait.  will definitely have my predator calls on my neck!  
hope to make it an annual affair  :)
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©