3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Legends Bows  (Read 353 times)

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Legends Bows
« on: December 25, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I had an experience awhile back with a friend of mine and felt I should share the short story.

I have a very close friend who is like a brother to me. His name is Larry Franco. Alot of you guys may know Larry. We have been shooting with each other for years and years. Shared many a fire together. He is a great hunter, tournament archer and an extended member of my family. I am fortunate enough to own a small ranch out in the country and I have a shooting range in the back that I can shoot pert near any distance I please. Well, a short time back I was out in the back shooting and heard a truck coming up the drive. I stopped what I was doing and went up front to see who it was. Larry had come over to show something off to me. He said he had a bow he wanted me to shoot that was in his truck. Larry proceded to pull out this beautiful recurve. I got excited as he handed me the bow. He started bragging about how well the bow was balanced and how good the bow could shoot. I took the bow out of his hand with enthusiasm. The bow was a truly beautiful example of a fine recurve, and I should know because I own a bunch of them. I immediately said to Larry "follow me" and we headed out back to the range. I was stunned the first time I pulled the bow back. It didn't feel at all like the weight that was marked on the limbs. It felt much lighter. Smooth as butter, balanced and easy to hold. The string was "real tight", the bow just felt solid, no slop or spongy-ness ( is that a real word ) at all. I took one of Larry's arrows, aimed, ( yes, I aim ) and fired the shot. What I got was a silent "thump". Beautiful I thought. No silencers on the string either. At that point I couldn't stop shooting the bow. I shot that bow for an hour or more and was consistantly dumping the arrows right in the boiler room. Larry and myself have been shooting competativly and hunting for years and I can tell you we know a great bow when we shoot one. Mr. Rash at Legends bows has built a remarkable tool in his bows. I would suggest that if you have not had the chance to shoot one of his bows you do so the first chance you get. I do not own one of his bows at this point nor have I contacted him to build me one yet so I want to make it clear that this is not a sales pitch. I don't know what his "secret" is, but he has learned it well. He builds one heck of a bow. If all his bows shoot like the one I got to shot, all I can say is "my lord". I can also tell you I am not a "cosmetic" type of guy when it comes to bows. I am more of a "performance" type of person, but Mr. Rash's bow was beautiful and looked as good as it shot. I don't do to many of these kinds of write ups but after shooting this bow I felt I needed to share this with everyone. Nice job Mr. Rash, I was impressed and that usually takes alot for me to feel that way. Don Barkley
"Just passing through"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Legends Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
I was transported back in time when I read the topic title.
 Years ago there was a bowyer here in Missouri that had a bow business making bows known as Legend Longbows. Jim Johnson was/is his name and he also build some works of art that also were workhorses, I mean shooters that hit where you were looking.

I've lost rack of Jim and I can't tell you how excited I was when I read the topic title. But alas! It wasn't/isn't the same "Legend". But, it sounds like a good bow and bowyer all the same.

Sorry to jump in on your thread but my ole daddy said, "There's no point in being ignorant iffen you ain't gonna show it!"

Merry Christams!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Foxtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also clicked on this thread hoping to find information about Jim Johnson. I certainly don,t mind hearing about Mr Rash- does he had a website?
But I picked up a Jim Johnson bow a few years ago for my wife- sweet shooter, and a heck of a looker. Nice work!

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Mike Rash is a sponser here and you can find him listed under "Legends Bows" in the sponser links.

http://www.legendsbows.com/
"Just passing through"

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Hey Mudd,
         I have one of Jim Johnsons Legend Longbows.
 66" 46# @ 27" Bacote riser,red elm limbs with a carbon core.Beautiful classic D shape,super quiet
shooting bow.

Craig

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Mike Rash is a fine man. I have had the opportunity to speak with him on several occasions. He makes an honest bow for a great price. Mike knows archery history and has expressed his respect for the gooduns out there. His appreciation and respect for men like Tim Meigs may be the point of his bow title "Legends". There aint enough folk in this industry like Mike. An artist, archer, hunter and historian of the sport. Proud to call him my friend.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Don and Brent,Let me start out by telling you Merry Xmas.Thank you so much for the nice words.Don i have a great deal of respect for you and your love of the sport.We share alot of the same friends. Larry and Jim Poot have talked about you often. You may not remember but we met many years ago.I want to say you knew my grandpa as well as Larry did. His name was Delbert"DJ"White. I learn so much from him. Thank you so much for sharing on Tradgang your story of shooting one of my bows.As a bowyer those words are truly appreciated.When you get a chance you should come up to the shop.I would be happy to give you a tour,and always enjoy talking about archery.Im not that far from you.Right here by Don Pedro Lake.We have been working about 7 days a week right now so we are always in the shop.
Brent,as always thanks for jumping in and say'n good things about me.Not sure i can live up to it.And right back at you.You are right about how Legends Bows got its name.To me my Grandfather was a legend in this sport and his friends who also became mine.You named Tim Meigs, who was a friend of mine and my grandpa's for many years.When i retired from the life of a crime fighter after a major injury Tim taught me how to design and craft recurve bows.I respect and appreciate alot of legends through my life.Some maybe legends to everyone, some only to me.But i have learned and continue to learn from. Brent im still wait'n to here the rumble of your Harley in my drive way."Road Trip"
Thanks again
Mike

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Road trip for sure. Merry Christmas brother.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
One of these days I'm going to have to try the Legend!   Mike makes a beautiful bow by what I've seen on the shooting line at some of the 3D shoot!     Merry Xmas Mike!  :)

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Mike was good enough to donate one of his bows to the JLMBH raffle to raise $ for ST. Judes auction last year and my son won it.He already had 2 bows but the Legend is all he shoots now and shoots it better than the other 2 anyway...Mike had also sent along pics. of game he had taken with it which was cool.Like it myself,it's smooth,fast and stable and I shoot it well just a little light for me.Thanks again Mike for you're generosity and a great bow.   :notworthy:

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm words Mike. I'm just calling it like I see it if you know what I mean. I remember Delbert. Fine man. I remember meeting you what seems like years ago. One day in the near future I would love to come by your place for a tour. Thanks for the invite. Right now though I have a shop full of bows myself these days. Seems somehow I have been given the title of "can you fix my bow, it's broke" person. ha ha ha. But it's cool. Whatever I can do to keep people shooing is my goal. Miss talking with Mr. Poot. I guess I'm gonna have to look him up. Stay in touch brother and keep building those fine works of art. Don
"Just passing through"

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
I can not say enough good things about my friend Mike Rash!!!so as a person he is at the top of the list, as a bowyer in my book he is also top of the list. I shoot his recurves better/ more accurately than any other bow. Thanks Jerry.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
Hey Mudd, I did the same thing...

Has Jim moved?  I've still got one of his brochures with contact info if you want it.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jim P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »
Hi Don, its good to see you here on tradgang. Hope you had a good Christmas. We will have to get together sometime. Maybe we could take a drive up to see Mike.
In regards to Mike and his bows, Mike is a great guy and Im Blessed to have him as a friend. His bows live up to everything don says and are definately worthy of consideration if someone is looking for a new Bow.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Hi Jim. Taking a ride up to Mikes with you sounds like alot of fun. Now if we can just find the time to actually do it. ha ha ha Thanks, Don
"Just passing through"

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I guess that since I shoot with Mike and hunt a lot with him I may as well chime in, but I will admit that I am biased. Mike, you are a great friend and we have shared many a fun campfire. As for your bow, it speaks loudly for itself, all anyone has to do is pick one up and shoot it. I invite anyone who wishes to do so and sees me at a 3-d shoot to ask and you can shoot one of mine.

A quick story about my bow, a few weeks ago while hunting in Oregon, we started stump shooting to pass some time (actully to get warm). I took about an 80 yd shot at a green leaf and just barely missed by about an inch or so. Mike turned to me and said " what the heck did you just shoot, that arrow looked as if a compound shooter let it go?"  I just laughed and said---like how my new arrows fly! Now we all know his bows are not that fast, but they are very smooth,forgiving, quiet and I think more than fast enough.

By the way, there is never a dull moment in our hunting camps--Mike always has a way to keep your side in stiches
Mike ---see ya next week for ducks!
Take Care Ben

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Ben,Ok, i admit maybe your bow doesnt shoot as fast as a compond.But i was impressed with the speed of that
 shot.Ben just changed arrows from 600grns.to a 500grn arrow.That 100grns.made a big diffrence on those long shoots.His bow is 51# at his draw.My guess is his arrow are around 185-190fps.,for those who care about speed.But outside of shoot'n stumps,when do you ever shoot that far.
As always thanks again to everyone for your nice words.

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Mike , thanks for letting me see and pull the daughters bow. Very smooth and great craftsmanship.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©