3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: big jims bow company  (Read 1319 times)

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
big jims bow company
« on: December 25, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
does anubody shoot big jims longbows they look really awesome just wonering how they shoot and what you think i still cant decide what kind of bow to get everytime i think of one i always find something else that intrests me so im sure ill ask about other bows     thanks merry christmas        /nick
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: big jims bow company
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
I don't own one but I shot one last summer. It shot good and was quite. Be good to see some chronograph numbers on them for comparison. But I don't know that a few feet per second really makes that much difference.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
You are right they sure are good lookin bows. I look forward to shooting one some time.

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
I own one. I love my bow! I had Big Jim make me a special two piece bow. Needed a bow that I could travel with.

Big Jim has so many exotic woods to work with. Do a little homework and decide what you like best. He has plenty of beautiful bow that are ready for shipping if you are in a hurry.

I suggest you be specific when explaining how you want your handle. Most of his bows have a larger handle than what I like. I had him make my handle smaller and rounded like the Savannah. He did a fantastic job.
Clay

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Go to Georgia Outdoor News traditional archery forum and look thru the post on the first page and you will see pictures of four or five bigjim buffalo bows.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 05:13:00 AM »
Jim is a nice fellow and builds a great bow!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
i also like the grip on the savannah my brother has one very good does anyone know the prices or anything onn the bows
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Jerry Ragle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
bought mine back in august or septfrom a tradganger and im very pleased with it

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
My web site is currently down, but I have a page up now that explains that and gives my phone number. There is also several bow pics there too.
I have chronoed my bows at over 200fps but that is relative to a modestly light arrow. I would say you could expect upper 180's to lower 190's out of 9+ g per lb.
What ever it is, I am constantly hearing about how quiet it is and how much faster it is than their bow of higher pounds.
I can make the grips anyway you would like, and bows start at $475 and that includes actionboo cores and most of the exotics I offer.
Unfortunately, I only have a couple of bows in stock, but the wait is worth it and not that long.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
BigJim worked a deal WITH a trade for me over the phone and really helped me out. The bow I rec'd shot great but I decided to someday have him make me a custom with the beavertail grip and traded it. His bows are a great value and look and shoot great. Great guy to work with. Thanks BigJim.
Mike Gerard  owlbait
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I just sent my order in to Big Jim a few days ago.  I've never shot one of his bows, but have seen a few and they were truly works of art.  Talking with Jim on the phone is like talking to an old friend who knows A LOT about wood and bow building.  I'm really looking forward to the bow.  I have small hands so I'm gonna have to call him and discuss the grip options.

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I like mine alot.The craftsmanship is 1st rate.Its a very stable shooting bow.Its well made and tough.Very strong limb that seems twist proof and I am sure resists torsional bending.I think that aids in the stabilityThe woods on all the ones I have seen are of high quality.The glue lines are superb and the overlays are feathered in seamlessly.I got a 62 incher.Itsmarked51#s at 29 inches and draw it about 30 inches and notice no stacking.I dont have a chrono but its plenty quick.I like to shoot heavy arrows out of mine.550 to 650 grains

Excellant service and Jim and his wife Barb will take good care of you.Its an excellant value!I got a 2 piece and am very happy with it.No complaints here.Thumbs up

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I have heard nothing but GREAT comments on him, besides he's he real gentleman.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
WOW Jim, just went to the page you have up. Talk about some fine looking bows. I guess I need to shoot one of those takedowns. What type of veneers are on the top bow on the page? Flint

Offline tnbuckskinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I just got a 2pc. and don't think you will beat the bow,the service,or the gentleman you will be dealing with.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Dad just got a takedown with cocobolo and zebra, sheep horn accents and beavertail grip.  Incredible bow.  Shoots point on with my BW recurve.  Very sweet shooter and quite a looked for sure.

I have never shot a long bow, but have heard they are harder to shoot than a recurve. That is hogwash, I'd hunt this thing tomorrow and have only shot a few times.

Jim this thing is itching to go back with me, but I'd have to pry it from his cold dead fingers as he doesn't let it out of his sight.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
I ordered mine from Big Jim w/o having seen one in person.  I just read alot of good reviews.  I am very pleased with it.

It is absolutely beautiful and shoots fast and quiet.  Spending time in the backyard flinging arrows with this bow is a treat I look forward to each day.  My grip feels like my hand grew around it.  I will get another Buffalo Bow... next time - a two piece.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
As stated above, a FINE Gentleman & FANTASTIC bow !! I let mine go to my buddy as Im more of a "D" style L/B guy, tried to get it back, NO LUCK, he loves it, Oh well, may need another, Jim also has a FANTASTIC selection of woods,, Can't go wrong with Jim & his lovely wife ,, GOOD PEOPLE !!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Guy's, I apreciate all the fine compliments, but aparently you havn't asked my wife's opinion of me. lol
Seriously, it's easy to make a beautiful bow when you start with beautiful materials. All I do is put them together.
Since my wife said no exotic dancers, I have to settle for exotic wood!
Here is a run down of the pics on the web page:
first two pics are Cocobolo limbs and cocobolo/macassar ebony handle and moose horn overlays. I intentionally picked this wood because of the sapwood contrast.

The 3rd & 4th pics are rocky mountain juniper limbs with osage/cocobolo handle.

5th,6th,7th pics are Cocobolo/osage throughout.

8th bow is bocote back side limb veneer, curly anigre bellyside limb veneers, and macassar and anigre handle. The curly anigre shows further down the list of pics.

The last bow is macassar ebony limbs and gaboon ebony/padauk riser with gemsbok horn overlays.

I think I will try to get this stuff posted under the pics.
I shure do apreciate all the interest.
thanks again, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Up for Troutms.Good stuff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©