3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toot your own horn ?  (Read 889 times)

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
Toot your own horn ?
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
Toot your own horn ? what is the Best shot you have made, that ring's out in your head? There's are probly many. But there's alway's that vivid #1. Happy Holiday's

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toot your own horn ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
The first arrow I shot out of a traditional setup!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Sitting on a bucket, shooting at a foam turkey, surrounded by compoumd guys with a Osage self bow that I made. The shot was about 18 yards down hill and the high tech boys were going to let me shoot thru. I "ten'd" the turkey and those six guys did not. You could here a pin drop when that cedar shaft thumped that target!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
On foam: shooting with some wheelie friends,we placed a red golf ball on the 3d deers nose, too dark to see very well but my buddy had a new lighted sight. stepped back to 50 paces and launched an arrow into the beans. I let loose and drilled the golf ball.
On game: An old mature doe that I had just missed at 5FEET. Bleated to her and she circled around me about 45yds out got down wind and slipped in on the same trail turned boadside at 27yds and stopped. Then it was OVER a branch, around some brush, UNDER a branch and 'tween two trees, to double lung a FULLY alert mature doe. That all took about 20 minutes to play out and my nerves had about had it.
TOOT,TOOT.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
One of my most memorable hunts....I had a buck that decided to get around me by going above me on a steep Iowa bluff.  The shot looked close, not sure why, but when I paced it off it was close to 40 yards.  The arrow took him from the underside at the arm pit and went out the top of his back. Trifecta, heart and both lungs.  Then walking out in the dark, there was a fawn in my line of travel back to my truck.  I kept my head lamp on it and continued walking towards it.  It wouldn't budge.  I ended up walking right up to it and slapping it in the butt!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
On a target;  A sea shell at about 33 paces in the dunes one evening with a couple of buddies.  They picked the target thinking i would not hit it.  I wasn't sure I would either.  Didnt tell them that though !

On Game;  A charging ground hog at 5 paces.  OK, maybe he wasn't charging.  I missed him at 27 paces clean, then he came running back to his den.  When he paused at the entrance I was ready again.  Was for sure he was gonna naw my leg off.  It was close.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Hands down, my javelina shot last Oct.  First hunt, first harvest.  I'd been watching two javies and one got closer and closer.  I don't remember releasing, but time seemed to go freeze frame on me...  I saw the arrow in the air... saw it hit the javie... saw the javie jump up in the air, turning... saw the arrow in the javie with feathers on one side and head out the other... saw the arrow go through and fall... saw the javie come down on the ground and start running.  Then time seemed to go normal again.  The javie ran in a 3/4 circle, ending up in some mesquite about 15 yards to my right.  The mesquite, shook violently for a very short time, then went still.  Whole sequence couldn't have taken more than maybe ten to twelve seconds.  Shot was about ten yards.  I waited about ten minutes... no more movement or shaking bushes.  I stepped back out of my blind so I could look over into the mesquite.  Javie was lying dead between two bushes.  I can still see the whole thing frame by frame every time I think of it.  My first hunt, my first harvest.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
My first day with trad gear. I was shooting at 7 yards just trying to figure out how to hit the target without any sights. My wife came around the house as I was coming up the hill to take a break. She asked how it was going and I said watch this. The shot was 40 yards down hill, I drilled the target dead center. She couldnt believe I did it. The bad thing is I havent been able to do it again since that one shot.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
10 days after buying my first hunting longbow, 2 javelina were running past at 15 yards. No time to think. Time, sequence, instincts took over & speared the lead pig exactly where I expected. Hills/style LB since 31 straight years.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Walking back to the truck south of Prudhoe you will often find 2" wide surveyors sticks off the road a bit.  One was near the truck and about 150 yards away.  I arched an arrow at it, walked up and pulled my arrow.   It was stuck in the ground with the feathers touching the stick about half way up.  Should have bought a lottery ticket.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
My first 3D shoot I went to was a big traditional only event in WA and there were over 100 people there.  I had only been shooting trad for a month or two and I came along with my trusty Bear Montana longbow.  They had a black bear target at 100yds.  I just hail marry'd and arrow through the sky and watched and listened in amazement as my cedar arrow landed right in the 10 ring and the whole crowd said "HOLY $#*@!"  I did really well on the rest of the course too and took 7th place.  I never did shoot at that bear again though cause I knew it was pure luck!

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Very windy, west central South Dakota in November.  Was stump shooting with a friends father, for whom I just built a longbow.

As we approached the camp, I said "let's try for the corner post"  This fence was over 100 yards away.  He drew and aimed and I told him. .  higher,    higher,   he adjusted,  released,  and missed the post by only 6-10 feet.  After appropriate hoots and hollars, it was my turn.  

I can't do anything the easy way, I decided that I was gonna do it weird and I drew to anchor, held it up about 60 degrees and upwind and let er rip.  (the arrow... silly).

It flew up and almost out of sight, turned and started down.  The wind caught it and it drifted, down down down    PLUNK   it bounced off the post !  

Couldn't believe it and neither could "dad".   Course,  I told him I planned all of it (and he knew I was lying out my rear end. . .)   Anyway. .   without a doubt,  that one was my best.
ChuckC

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
I was walking with a friend leading in a place where we could find some boars,on the way downhillI saw a hare 65ys,one shot one kill.It never moved.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I worked at a fire tower this past summer. At these sites a person is left pretty much alone for 5 months with 1 grocery delivery per month. Its a good thing my province has an open season on Rabbits and Squirrels since they were my primary source of protien. Anywho its about 9pm and I have just climbed down my tower for the day and am washing a few dishes when I notice a Rabbit in the backyard eating clover. Now these Rabbits have become pretty jumpy this past month with me shooting arrows all over the place, so I try to plan a stalk. They have heard my squeaky door enough times so that they bolt whenever they hear it, so I figure I'll be sneaky and climb through the kitchen window. Well half way out the window I snag my shorts and fall flat on my back on the rasberry bush outside. I figured the Rabbit probably bolted due to the noise of the crash (not to mention my squeal of fright) but decide to proceed with the stalk anyway. Well my luck has held and the Rabbit is still there, except he has hopped to the end of the yard due to all the commotion. Now the only cover between me and him is the stand that holds my shacks gravity fed water tank. No matter what I try I just can't seem to find a shot through the stands bracing. Then I find one. I have to kneel with my upper body horizontal to the ground and the bow itself completely horizontal. Now I am figuring there is no way in hell I could hit a Rabbit in this pose at 5 yards, let alone this Rabbit which is sitting at 30. But I am hungry so I draw back, pick a spot and loose.
Imagine my bloody surprise when the rubber blunt smacks the Rabbit right behind the shoulder. I was almost more surprised than the Rabbit. Here is a pic of him.

Oh and on a side note I made the worst shot of my life the next morning. Figured I could easily make a short shot at a Rabbit under my truck. The dent in my trucks door still keeps me humble.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
My first shot at a live animal, a hen, I put the stalk on her then waited for the flock to come into range, made a perfect shot on the biggest one, it was awesome!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Have to be  The first Elk I shot with Trad equipment.  16 yds Broadside Watched the arrow disappear behind her front leg, She had no Idea I was in the country.  I remember it was like in slow motion, Watching the arrow rotate in motion on the way there.  And the 60yd run and down she went in sight. Hunting has never been the same since. Just brings a whole new level to the life of hunting with just a stick and string.
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
The most recent...

I was in Custer, South Dakota, a couple of years ago for a few days.  Went to the local archery shop.  Walked in, unpacked my Pronghorn, put it together, shot the first arrow inside out in the X-ring on an NFAA target in front of a bunch of young compound shooters.

SHOULD have taken my bow apart at that point and walked out without a word.  Didn't though, so they found out shortly that my first shot was blind luck.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
33 years ago I was out stump shooting with a friend of mine. He picked a knot on a tree, about the size of a tennis ball, at least 60 yards away and told me to hit it. I let a Microflite go out of my Darton Magnum and center punched it. I don't know who was more suprised, him or me   :)  He told me to do it again and being no dummy, I declined. Still remember that one  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowhuter82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
It was at a 3d shoot the first year I swithed to trad gear and I took a beat on an elk about 60-65 yards and drilled the 11 ring it was awesome
Striker slap stike 58" 54lb @ 28"
Fox longbow 60" 56lb @ 28"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
First elk hunt iwth a trad bow.  60# sley longbow.

After chasing bulls all day, we made one last try. I bugled into the canyon and a bull answered below.  We had to circle the rim to get the wind right and headed out a near double time.  A few hundred yards out my partner snapped his fingers and made a gesture meaning cow call.  I dove for "charlie browns christmas tree" and hid.  Looking up I see antlers coming through the trees headed right at me.  He ducks and darts his way down the hill and goes behind a tree 10 yds away.  My partner told me I drew the bow and held.  When the bull cleared the tree he turned quartered to me at 7 paces.  I remember looking at the forward crease fo the shoulder and thinking if I took the shot, it would be right there.  My fletching buried in the spot and the bull turned and ran up hill.  He was down in 50 yds.

I can close my eyes today and see it all happen again.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©