3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toot your own horn ?  (Read 890 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toot your own horn ?
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Best shot on foam was at a novelty 3D shootback in England. 140yds at a standing buffalo, first shot hit it square in the pro-kill ring! Mind you, the following 5 missed it by a mile  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Doe I shot last week was at 43 good steps, close to 40 yards.  I center punched her, taking both lungs she went only 30 yards from there. The arrow went all the way thru and stuck into a tree root behind her. This was by far the longest shot I had ever taken on a animal, but it all felt right.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
My father and I went on a fishing / scouting / shooting trip up around some high mountain lakes.  On the way back, we decided to take the long way around one of the lakes and cast to fish along the shore on the way.  about halfway around the lake, which happened to be the narrowest part, we started talking about if our bows could shoot all the way across or not.  

We both grabbed our worst arrows, and of course even though the opposite shoreline was better than 200yds away by our guess, we picked a target anyway as if we actually hit it...  In this first pic about in the center, you can see a patch of snow come all the way to the shore, with tiny little pine tree growing right up in the middle of it.  

Here is a closer pic of that same spot, we are going for the tiny pine tree in the patch of snow.

Well I aimed for the clouds and let one fly! We didnt see in our binos anyh water splash, and it looked as though I over shot the bank by a long ways!  I grab my binos, and take a closer look, and could not believe my eyes!!  I had not hit the tree, but came pretty darn close for that distance....  These next pics are what we saw when we finally made it around to the other side...  You can see my orange flethcings just high and left of the tree about 5 ft!!
Could'nt do it again if I tried!!!

“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
First hunt with a recurve EVER I shot a black bear in NY (no bait) from the ground with a wood arrow.
It just doesnt get better than that to me.
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for shareing your story's And Dream I guess " MUD "? Got a kick out of alot of them. Later T.S.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Grey squirrel out about 60 yards on a branch in an old Red Oak. I was with the neighbor and my brother told them both to watch as I was about to shoot the squirrel off the branch. I hit the smallish branch right below my intended victim and sent the squirrel and the branch to the ground. I know I missed but it still is a shoot that stands out from others.

DD

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Me and a friend was shooting out of my garage one day at a block target set about 18 yards when he seen an O-ring about the size of a quarter laying in the floor so he stuck it on the target and sarcasticly said "I bet you can't hit that" well I would have bet that I could'nt hit it either but I drew back and center punched that sucker! needless to say we both got a kick out of it! I figure thats as good as a robin hood! HA! BTW, that was the first and the last time that happened! if I could do that every time I would be on TV! Jason

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I hit a running squirrel at 25 yards. Joke was on me when the critter went up the tree with my arrow in it. Never got it back

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
On foam: a couple of years ago I was at the range with a couple of compound buddies. The shot was a 45 yd. and my buddy hit the 10 ring on the bighorn sheep target. I was usually moving up on the longer shots but thought I'd give it a whirl. I shot and heard my arrow hit but couldn't tell where. Buddy grabbed his binos and said "I think you hit my arrow". We walked up and I had 'robin hooded' his arrow.

On game: Long story short I found myself 15 yds from a bull moose frantically looking for a hole in the willows and swamp spruce before the bull made his exit. I finally found a plate sized hole but I had to get on my knees and turn my bow horizontal 18" from the ground. That arrow went right where it should have. Another compound buddy was standing right beside me scratching his head. He couldn't believe the shot I had just pulled off. He kept saying over and over how he couldn't have made that shot. Only with a stickbow!!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
One that sticks out is this past Summer at a 3D shoot. There was a large group of compounders ahead of us that let us "play through" because it took so long for them to get ready or something. Funny, because the rules stated no range finders,  :readit:  yet almost all of them had these funny necklaces on.  :rolleyes:  

Anyway, it was two targets, about 30 yards down the other side of a steep ravine. It took all of 10 seconds for me to drill a 10 and a 12. "Nice shootin'" came from a couple of them. I just said thanks and waited for my wife and daughter to shoot. They both made kill shots too. It was fun hearing the mumbling at the top of the hill when we went to retrieve our arras.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
sorry about the double post
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
One was just after having a really bad shooting practice and coincidentally running into a pro-shooter and asking him for lessons. He asked to observe my shooting first but to visualize that: "This shot is for ALL the money at The World Tournament of Archery!" I centered the very epicenter of the X!" He said: "See? It's all in your head; you don't need any lessons!"     :D  

My best consistent/fun performance was shooting an the first 15 on an impromtu 3D with my compound friends, this time from were they shot which were mostly long shots. All but one were in the kill zone and I was in second place when we were done. (We didn't shoot the rest and nobody was happier about that decision than I)!    :bigsmyl:   The next time we shot my tradbow friends and I had come up behind them at an official 3D. I teased: "let a real archer shoot through-never mind, just clear out." I was at least another 15 yards farther back than their stake and I made a nice "8." Thing is, I don't pretend to be a great shot except with those guys as, as long as I don't shoot with them AGAIN-I'm a legend!     :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
My worst shot and my best shot both came on the same javelina within a few seconds of each other. I had been sneaking up on this javelina as it walked away from me, crossing back and forth across the sendero.
It disappeared into the brush at a wide spot in the road. I stood still and it came out about 12-15' away and stood broadside to me! I knew it had spotted me so I raised the bow and shot quick. I missed, went over its back from 12'!. It turned and trotted across the sendero. I pulled out another arrow and took my time as it neared the other side ot the sendero. I made a perfect hit behind the shoulder as it was walking into the brush!
John

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Once out practicing with my buddy we where stump shooting but had a buck 3D target set up as well we had hiked for a bit and i looked back down the valley at the 3D and said to him think you can make that shot? it was about 160-180meters away LONG LONG ways off he liffed up his 65lb hill drew back let go, we waited it was looking on line then after a few seconds THUD! he drilled it.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
The best shot I ever made brings me back 45 years to when I was about 12, a green fiber glass longbow, no nocking point on the worn string, and mismatched cheap cedar target arrows.

My buddy and I were stalking the town dump for mice and other big game when a sparrow in a pile of garbage caught my attention. It was much too far to shoot but just for the heck of it and to see how close I could get, I said "watch this!"

I raised the bow to the sky, innocently made a calculation and released. It was so far that I had the bow by my side as we both watched the high and far arc of the arrow to the point where it disappeared into a small puff of feathers. True story.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
1.)I had a new deer target in the back yard and was practicing. I had to go to the back side of it to retreive an arrow that had missed.

A fly landed on the still primo side of the target. My daughter was with me and I said "watch this". At about 3 feet I shot at the fly and hit it in such a way that we saw it fall into the grass. Even at 3 feet I thought that was pretty cool! If I had'nt seen it fall I might have thought that I had missed or drove it into the target.

2.)A 26 yd shot at a ground hog. Center punched him in the chest!

Not as impressive as most but those are my most memorable.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I was hunting squirrels one morning when I walked it a small patch of berries. I don't who was startled more the two squirrels or me.I hit the first one running on the ground at about 5 yards. The second one was half way up a tree when I released the arrow. It fell to the ground. Those were the first and only squirrels that I've taken over past couple of years.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
20 yards...my best shot to date.

>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Did you eat that one Vtmtnman Lol. Great shot at 20 Yard's. Some these shot are just crazy !! Never ate a squirrel. First time for everything !!  Killer Story's

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
B.glass is shooting the wings off flies?!

I'm not messing with her; and can only sit in awe   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©