3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2615 times)

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Added stairs and running this week.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
marathon is coming up soon. going out for a 10 mile run up hills shortly, raining pretty good here but will be a refreshing brake from the heat wave! keep up the good work everyone!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Ran 3 miles this morning.  I have been hard at it.  Lost 12 pounds so far and 13 to go.  Shooting my bow almost every day.

Keep it up

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I hike horse trails with a BullPac with a 50# bag of play sand strapped on it, plus my water. You do get some looks but it does work well.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm 56 and have DDD (2 heirniated discs in low back)... going to CO for a wilderness elk hunt this fall. I'm riding a road bike 15-20 miles every other day. Since I began riding a month ago, all chronic back pain is gone.

I think the riding is good for my knees too. I've had arthroscopic surgery on one knee (torn meniscus) but they are doing fine. Hitting the bowflex three evenings a week. Not losing much weight (although eating "fairly" clean).

Still have my gut. Gotta clean up the diet more.

Hope to begin shooting (again) every other day.

Good luck to all!
Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Now that its almost elk season I am training by running uphill with my bow in hand then making a shot. Wow, you will learn a lot about shooting this way.

Good luck everyone and good job all of you that have been working out!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Got my triathlon in 6 days: 600 yd swim, 16 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. After that I will have 2 weeks to WY so I will start some serious walking with my 50 pound pack over the toughest hills I can find. Keep after it everyone...the finish line is near!
Mike Davenport

Offline Huntnjim

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
55 years young, have always been in better than average shape. Some how this year has been very difficult to do the right thing and workout. I have an elk hunt in 30 odd days we all need encouragement!
PBS Regular Member since 1989

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
p90x, I am half way thru & I feel better than in years. I played 70 minutes of small sided soccer with guys half my age last week & kept up quite nicley.  The p90x really works.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline Huntnjim

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
enlighten me Mr. No on this p90x,,,,I'm always looking for an edge to stay young.
PBS Regular Member since 1989

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Interesting topic for sure. I'll turn 42 this year and USED to think all of you old farts were preaching doom about aches & slow recovery times. Guess you could say I have learned my lesson!
Hanging around with my 15 and 14 year old kids (and their friends) has made it clear that I have lost a step or two.

Re the P90X program. We love it! It is a DVD set (of late night TV infomercial fame)that you can do at home with limited space & equipment. Lots of calisthenic style work. The official set is pricey but can be had on e-bay pretty cheap.
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline ridgerunner_sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I wish I had a out west hunt to go on ...
I have over the last few years been preparing for my 50th birthday . riding my bike watching what I eat ...I think I am in pretty good shape...
I feel these things should be a matter for daily
concerns and not just when you go to the doctor or realize that your not what ya used to be...

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I finished my triathlon this past weekend. It is excellent training for the mountains. In 15 days I will have my Stalker recurve in my hand and will be racing elk and mulie bucks up the mountain.

My training is now different. I am loading a pack daily and walking hills with 25 pounds for 3 miles. I tell ya, even in good triathlon shape I can tell that having a pack on is tough on the wheels. I hope to work out the kinks before I saddle up in the high country.

Here's a pic of my finish prize: my triathlete wife of 13 years. She's good lookin' and lets me go bowhunting in the high country if I'm a good boy and train with her  :)  

Mike Davenport

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
ttt  This thread started back last year after elk season in Colorado.

How did everyone do meeting their goals?
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Goals met  :)  Fitness level achieved, backstraps toted down the mountain   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I am 62 years old.

I walk an average of 200+ miles per month every month of the year.

Usually at about 6 to 8 miles per day, in a minimum of 1 hour and never more than 2.

Sometimes more sometimes less.

It is always hard to start but as my senior Drill Instructor said many years ago 'You ain't gotta like it, maggot, you just gotta do it...'

Just gotta put one foot in front of the other for an hour or two.

It helps minimize a lot of health problems that come with aging.

Charles.
USMC (retired)
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Just turned the BIG 40 in July and I wish I had taken better care of myself.  I notice that I come home from work(I'm a plumber) alot more sore and injuries last FOREVER.  

I am finally watching what I eat and do some light exercise(better late than never)but I have a long way to go.  Wish me luck.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I have met all of my training goals and now were waiting for the hunting season to start  :bigsmyl:  

The training continues but will slow down some during the season and pick back up after. It's hell getting old and you have to stay with it thats for sure, It's to hard to start over  :biglaugh:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online flycastr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Fitness is a lifestyle commitment for me, and not just something to jump into prior to the season.  I'm primarily a runner.  I have done 12 marathons (including Boston 3x).  I also cycle and do  intense whole-body conditioning--weight and resistance training, core work, Yoga, plyometrics and stretching.  It admittedly is an issue to integrate the conditioning workouts into my running program.  That often means two-a-days.  But, I feel better today than I ever have!  A contributor to that was recently giving up alcohol and coffee, and I love wine!  I have always eaten a low fat, low sugar, low salt diet, but I never ate breakfast consistently.  I have started doing so, as well as getting at least seven hours of sleep a night.  I don't get tired during the day, my thinking is clearer and I think even my vision is a bit better.  A vital element of any conditioning program that is often overlooked is rest .  You make gains not during a workout, but during the recovery period.  So, for me at least, the balance of cardiovascular and strength training, proper nutrition and rest, all wrapped into a consistent, progressive program leading up to a goal event is what keeps me going.  By the way, I'm 64, 5'11", 142 lbs and have a 32" waist--and proud of it at this stage of life.  The best part though, is keeping up with my 40-yr old son climbing canyonsides chasing elk!

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
this is good stuff to hear. when going out in public i am constantly amazed at what a bunch of fat slobs we Americans are. my favorite thing on hunting shows are the fat hosts who are elk hunting in the mountains. they look like they are about to die. you know they drove, rode a mule, or were choppered up that mountain as there is no way they walked up there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©