3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2612 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Even after playing hockey twice a week and hiking the mountains every weekend I lost another 8lbs hunting elk this past fall- and I didn't think I had much fat to lose! Guess I was fooling myself on that one...

But the hunting was fun and being able to handle the work made it even more enjoyable. I saw some amazing things while wandering about with my bow and met some new friends in the elk woods.

Being 51 I have not stopped the exercise routine. Can't afford to. Its very hard to re-start and I've come so far I'd hate to have to do that all over again just to be even. So I just kept going with the workouts even after the elk season ended. Dreaming of 2011!

Don't stop yours either if you can help it and if you are kicking yourself for not starting one yet its never too late.  
If you are thinking its time to up your hunting game, consider bettering yourself physically.  You will be glad you did and so will your loved ones.

And I bet you will be a better hunter too.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
I think its good to keep these fitness threads going. There are several.

Set some attainable goals. Its being consistant that will get you into shape- not a brief surge of effort.

Joshua

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
For what its worth- I have lost 70# in the last five months. I have more clothes that fit, probably last several lifetimes, everything becomes easier.  Method is input verses output. If I eat pizza which I do a lot, then I eat less at lunch time.  Ride a stationary bike everyday at least 45 minutes and then walk a treadmill for at 15-20 min. plus weights working different muscle groups each day.  To keep from being bored I read a book while on the bike and watch my favorite movies while on the treadmill I be 62 in a few months and have the time to do this workout.  If you don't just do a little each day and as you see results you will find the time to do more.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I broke my back on Aug 2009 in a ATV(Quad) role over while on duty at work.  In the last 15 years or so prior to the accident, I carried a little more weight that I wanted. In fact when people would phone they would ask if I was around and my wife would answer he's very round.  

I was mountain goat twice prior to my accident, loved the adventure but I can't say I enjoyed all aspect of the hunt to there fullest.

Since the accident, I have changed my life, I go to the Gym 1.5 hours per day, cardio (20-30 min.) and weights (legs/upper body/intense ab workouts on a three day schedule). I run several up to 5) times a week and even have taken up self instructed yoga (that way I don't have to look like a fool in front of any one else. Instead of going for coffee, etc. I work out doing push ups, squats and stuff in my office. I have changed my life totally to healthy eating habits and food choices.

I have recently realized how much more you can enjoy experiences and life when your in shape.  I love adventure hunting and now realize that health enhances these experiences.

This past summer I went Mountain goat hunting again, what an adventure and experience of a life time even with no goat in hand.  

Anybody preparing for any hunting, whatever type or just living life you owe it to yourselves to get into shape and adopt a healthy life style.  

My inspiration for getting in shape and changing my life style have been my family, me having a second chance and my great friend and hunting partner TDHunter.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Maxwell, we are proud of you! You will be a hunting machine next year.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks Frank-

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Started p90x this summer did 3 weeks felt great then stopped. Hunting season came and I killed a big Ohio buck but felt like crap. I am 45, weigh 294 am 6 feet 5 tall and smoke. Sooooo..I refuse to give up, started p90x lean and just completed my first week. Feel better already than I did all hunting season. I also have an E cigarette am am cutting down the smoking. My goal is to complete p90x this time and quit smoking by the time I complete my first round of P90x. I will do this and I will succeed.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick P:
OK several things standing out......
1) Hunting isn't done by a long shot, most areas of the US have a month or two of small game hunting yet, if your not taking advantage your loosing a "workout" and training opportunity! Nothing preps you for hunting like hunting!

2) I get the distinct impression many of you only go afield when your hunting!?! 90% of good hunts takes place in the off season, consistent observation of game animals there habits and habitat is essential to being a good steward of our resources. In short scouting is 90% of the game and great exercise.

3) Stop making excuses! I don't buy it for a second if your too fat, old, busy whatever it's your own fault! I've broken my back twice and was told I'd never walk without a cane again in august of 2000. Being a couch potato is not a valid excuse. With all do respect to the christian tradgangers statements like "I've been praying for the will power" drive me nuts! Fact is he/she probably has given you a thousand reasons to get in shape including the drive to hunt. Instead of praying try doing! Hard, painful and often humiliating work is what got me back in the field.

4) You guys lead a MUCH easier life than I ever have! Between hauling firewood, raising a 3 year old and maintaining a household I seldom need to put in any training time. Looking at the lives of others It dose seem to me that allot of "gym time" is only needed because folks are to lazy in there regular life. Stairs not the elevator, don't use the closest parking spot, walk to your hunting pards house.....it's less than a mile! TURN OFF THE TV AND SPEND SOME TIME OUTSIDE! PLAY WITH YOUR KID!

5)Traditional bow hunting is a lifestyle not a 1 month a year hobby, live that life instead of talking about it. Spend time afield every week, scouting, observing and learning about the game you chase. You'll be a better hunter and "get in shape" without noticing your working out. Either that or take up gulf.
:eek:
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Ok I'll play, I'm 40,and I have a pretty active life style. I xc ski a few times a week for 1.5 hours and walk quite a bit.... I do some strength work out like push ups, pull ups and core work on the ball!! I was pretty inactive for almost 2 years, cardio wise and man I had hard time in the mountains... So skiing is for me a great way to get in shape!!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Maybe one thing for the one that have a hard time to work out, instead of saying to your self, "I need to go work out...". make it that way," i want to go work out...", I'm not kidding you, it does make a difference!!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
...I have recently realized how much more you can enjoy experiences and life when your in shape.  I love adventure hunting and now realize that health enhances these experiences...

Amen on that sentiment!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluegrassbowhunter:
As of today I'm 40lbs lighter than than I was in deer season....15 more & I'm were I want to be for turkey season....I can't believe how much more energy I have...may have to buy some new camo that will fit...lol...
Make that 107 pounds total...& have kept it off a year this past November...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:

Great job Mark. Can't wait to see your skinny self at the Ky TradFest. We need to shoot a round together this year. You can show me how the hometown boys do it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Best thing I've found is mountain biking. Work and hunting has had me slack off with hitting the trails. Thanks for the thread.

Gotta get back to it.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
A favorite trick of mine is to take my rucksack, put some weight in it, and do stair steps up to about 12 inches. I'll put on a DVD movie or some music and do this for 30 minutes or so. As I built up and got used to it, I increased the weight and then worked 5 pound dumbells into the action.

At first it sucked out loud, but I realized fat was jumping off of me.....and I was working my huntin, hiking, weight carrying muscles so I kept at it. Eventually I'd get my heart rate up to 140 or so and be really huffing the air, and keep it that way for 20 minutes or so.......

It took a while to get to that level, but man what a difference it made.....and I could do it in any weather, inside while watching hunting videos for motivation.....all it took was my old Army ruck, some junk weight (fired rifle brass in a box) and commitment.......

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
I need to lose some weight before next hunting season.
James Kerr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Went on my first Elk hunt last August. Camped at 9500', if I had not been going to the gym and bumped up my cardio before the trip I would have been in trouble. As it was I had no problem hunting at 10,000' for a week. I did lose 7 pounds on the hunt but that was just from a real change in diet while camping. Staying fit and in shape is really a full time thing! [P.S. I have been working out at the gym for the last 7 or 8 years,before that it was martial arts!]
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Just found this thread. Some great info & success stories. I have been overweight my entire life. Have always been very active but ate badly. Was following the elkfit challenge thread. Eating much better. Lost 15#s last year but ready to get serious this year. Want to drop 50 between now & our April stumpshoot in rockwood. Lets keep this going for those of us that need it. Thanks. Will turn 45 on Feb 10th.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
1st trip back the gym in over a month last night reminded me that I have a long way to go! The first step is taking the first step. The second step is to keep taking that first step! Last year was a no hunt year due to a pinched radial nerve in my neck/right arm. I hope to be in the best shape of my adult life by this October! It's not age that slows us down. It's what we're not doing that slows us down. My dad is 76 and we have him going to the gym all the time now and he has the chiro stretching him out. He feels better now than before he had a mild stroke 10 years ago.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I am humbled by reading about those of you who have come so far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©