3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2618 times)

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Yep...you old guys are spot on. I'm fixin to be 55....I start walking 3 miles a day with my 50 lb. back pack in June. That gives me 3-1/2 months to get conditioned for the walking part of my hunt. Base camp is 9200 ft. there ain't a thing I can do about the altitude, it's a killer for the first three days, then gets better.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
Almost 55 and the last couple of years I have started cross county skiing during the winter.
I try to get out at least every other day and do 5 to 10 miles. This has helped me stay in shape during the winter.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
Staying in shape is a lifestyle and like you said getting in shape is harder the older you get. It also means giving up or at the very least limiting what you eat and drink like beer (   :(   ), fried food and second helpings. Something else, it helps to mix up your work out every couple of days. Hiking with your heavy boots on and pack is a lot different then running, lifting weights at the gym isn't like chopping and stacking wood. Mix it up to keep all the body parts active but do try to do something active every day.
lll

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
like many have already posted on this thread, 'staying in shape' is essential for hunting ... and for your overall well being.  

killinstuff's post above about sez it all.  you got to put in some effort to get positive results.  gettin' in good physical shape ain't gonna happen by itself.

you couch potatoes have been challenged!  get on out and move it - or lose it!     :saywhat:      :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
When I started about 5 years ago I could only run about 100 yards. I am 48 years old the longest distence I have made it is 12 mile on 5 different days. the last 5 days 4 of them I have  run a total of 20 miles 5 miles each run. if I can do it others can to. I shoot my bow about every day. I keep track of how much I run on the calendar. when it is cold out is is harder to go but there is some close made they sell at walmart hole suit is about 15.00 air does not go through. they are for gogging. it only takes a few minutes. I cant even begain to tell you how much better you will fill. just do something you will settle in on what you like. for me it is running.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
As 60 comes over the horizon, I have rededicated myself to make as many mountain hunts as I can in the time I have left.  That said, this year it's Moose and Caribou in Alaska.  Jason and I will be hitting the road soon walking miles each day and using our packs to build the weight up.

Got a universal Gym in the garage to work on weight training.

I got 60# of fat off last year and want to trim another 25 before September.

Gotta get after it though.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I get into shape year round through lots of scouting, shooting and exercise. I kinda fall off a little during deer season as most of my time is dedicated to family activities, work, sleep and hunting.
 I pick up again in January with lots of hiking and beginning my exercise routines for the up coming year. The areas I hunt require long walks with a climber strapped to my back. Plus if I should get lucky, dragging out even a small deer at those distances can be killer.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Fortunately I actually like working out. I turned 66 a couple of weeks ago and I average four days a week in the gym. I do two days of upper body work and two days of lower body work. After each workout I do 30 minutes of hard cardio on a recumbent bike or the stair climber. On the cardio, in particular, I try each week to increase the intensity of the workout because you can live longer with a strong heart than you can with big biceps. I do it so that I can enjoy and can continue to do the things I like to do, hunting being one of the biggest motivators. In the long run I don't want to happen to me what happened to my mom if I reach the age she did. She died at 87 but when she got aches and pains she stopped doing whatever made her hurt but never tried to get it better. Long story short, she got pretty fragile and weak and the pain did not go away. I try to look at pain as a warning my body is giving me to do things harder or differently. It is not a sign to stop. When I go I hope they have to look for my body in a treestand of find me in my kayak with a large stripper pulling me around Great Bay.

Wingnut has it right...you need to set goals....plan the work...then work the plan.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Good Lord, I appreciate the zeal, but cannot we at least get through Boxing Day and New Years first?
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
A large stripper? Bill, you rascal!!   :biglaugh:
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Great post. I,ve been telling myself that this year I,m gonna commit to getting in better shape.

Two years ago I was in a serious car wreck breaking both feet with a shattered heal that required surgery. Since then it's been a slow recovery and I've lost alot of motivation for pushing  myself. Not anymore. I've gotta do it. As Bill said, other aches and pains have crept in and I gotta get back to that level I had before all of this. This thread just gives me more motivation. Thanks everyone.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
stump shooting here in the mountains, climb shoot, climb and shoot. Cutting wood for the water stove. This will get it started if the weather permits. Right now, we are covered in ice.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Great thread  :thumbsup:  

There is nothing easy about it the older we get  "[dntthnk]"  I'm 47 and let my self go also then finally made a commitment and joined a gym and changed my bad eating habits. I dropped 30 pounds and started running then I had a bad accident at work 2 years ago destroying a shoulder and a hip/leg.

Several surgeries and some healing time and I'm back at it. Marshall I hear ya bud but I'm committed and won't stop till I meet my goal weight. I love to hunt out west and that is alot of motivation right there for me.

"Food is fuel" So watch what you eat do some exercise of some kind and don't get in a hurry.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
At 63, I've tried to stay in good shape with exercize and proper eating.
But I couln't help but smile as I crawled into the tent blind this morning rather than climb up to the tree stand five yards away in the 23 degee air.
I may be getting a little old.
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Dang Bill and Killdeer!!  I didn't need that in my head today as I head out deer hunting.

Just how large a stripper are we talking?

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I'll be 58 in June, about 7 seven years ago I had some issues with blood pressure and 4 years ago I found out I have a artery that is blocked. I stopped doing martial arts and started just going to the gym. I retired 2 years ago, I now go to the gym mon-fri,minimum 30 min on treadmill or elliptical and some light wieghts to help with my archery activities. I also went back to martial arts with a few classes and help to teach the kids classes{4-10 year olds}.I also got told in August that I now have type 2  diebetes. You have to do whatever you have to do to keep doing the things you like. I really think that inspite of my health issues I'm in the best shape of my life because I got out and made it happen. It don't matter what you do, just do something that will improve your health.I also kayak, fish, ride bike, Ride motorcycles, woodcarve and just try to keep active.I have noticed that when I hunt now I'm not out of breath and looking for a spot to rest as often....it must be working!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Stump shooting; it generally encompasses a mile or more up and down the ridges.  I had a friend who lifted weights and ended up missing a whole year to a torn muscle.  I shoot the bow to keep in bow shooting shape.  That makes perfect sense to me.

I don't care for Bon Bons, Killdeer, but I can play behind Reeses Peanut Butter Cups real easily 8^).

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks for this thread. I have been feeling more overweight and lazy lately. I can't run anymore cause after years of long distance running my knees are shot. I started back on my routine last night because of you guys. Elliptical machine, wieghts and bands to start with, along with regular hiking and shooting again. I always suffer during hunting season of not shooting and being active enough.
Killie, thanks, I was hoping I wasn't the only one to see "large stripper"
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
An 18 year old girlfriend might help you old guys.  :readit:    :readit:  
My health may go way down hill fast!

Reality of good physical health is not something that should be feast or famine. Good physical health should be something maintained. I started running in the evenings a few years ago. I made it fun by picking different country backroads to jog on. Then, before I knew it I found that I actually craved running. It's when I don't exercise that I feel bad. I know it's not so easy for some folks but exercise can be fun once you start seeing and feeling results. CK-42 yrs old yesterday.  :p

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Another thought.. Maybe a motivational daily workout thread would help keep folks motivated. Maybe daily posting of your workout, weight loss, etc., may help one guy/gal keep the next motivated. I guarantee you'll be proud of yourself if you can stay with a program for 9 months. You'll also see and feel results that will make you feel good all over. I'll participate! I've got many injuries to overcome in the next 9 months.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©