3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2617 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
A great device for those with bad knees is a treadmill.

The activity can be made interesting if you have a good book or something good to listen to. Like an archery tape.

What I like about a treadmill is:

1) low impact

2) gets the circulation going in those abused joints and helps them be the best they can be, even if thats not what they used to be.

3) you can adjust speed and incline for slowly building up  strength and stamina in your legs and heart

4) you'd be surprised how much a tread can get your heart rate up. Its doesn't take a lot of speed or incline and that is key when you are just getting back into it or have knee issues.

J-
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
When using a tread mill be sure to use GOOD shoes.
I was using slippers and ended up with a inflamed tendon in the foot and also found a spur.

On the subject of Good shoes for walking , any recommendations?
As I say each year this is the year to get my butt motivated after a season of dragging myself around. I started reading Fitness Made Simple.
Got a few good suggestions from it so far.
Any other recommended books on fitness out there?
Tim
47yrs
Deathmaster

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I'll be 55 in June, and I've been fighting with getting into and staying in shape since I was 45.

In my 20's I was a mess, years of being a rock musician and abuse to my body took its toll on me.
At 28 I made a commitment to change, quit the drugs and drinking and dedicated myself to getting back in shape. Hit the gym hard and by 31 was in the best shape of my life. Could run up mountains and not be winded, could climb trees like a squirrel, and use to pack whole deer out on my shoulders.

Then I got married...... 15 years later found myself a complete mess again. To busy raising kids and working, neglected myself. Had to start over again..... not an easy feat this time.

Back to the gym, hurt all over. But stuck with it.
2 years later, still overweight, but stronger was told I had liver and cholesterol problems. Went on a diet, lost 67 pounds in a year and felt like a new person. Have since been using the P90X workout DVD's and feel like I did in my 30's again.
It's amazing how this little workout mixes things up and works your whole body like nothing I've ever done. It's an extremely good program and I'd recommend it to everyone. You don't have to do as many reps as the guy on the DVD, just do what you can and stick with it. Before long you'll be doing what they do on the DVD and will be amazed at the difference it makes in your overall strength and well being.

Best thing I've ever done for my hunting, next to dedicating myself to bow only.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Hal

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Curtis! I hope your healing well from your accident.

A workout thread would be great and I thought about starting one many times when I was laid up and healing from my injury's.

I'm in also, If we can keep it trad hunting related and motivate each other for upcoming hunts and bow seasons. Maybe when can get the ok from a couple of the moderators as I no a few of them work out also.  :goldtooth:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
I just turned 50 myself, right now my son and I are traipsing around hunting rabbits on the weekends and days off, weekdays I go to the Y and lift a little and do 20-30 min. on the elliptical at least 3 times a week, summers I ride my bike. I'm always ready for the riggers of hunting, I work for it and think about it all year.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
OK several things standing out......
1) Hunting isn't done by a long shot, most areas of the US have a month or two of small game hunting yet, if your not taking advantage your loosing a "workout" and training opportunity! Nothing preps you for hunting like hunting!

2) I get the distinct impression many of you only go afield when your hunting!?! 90% of good hunts takes place in the off season, consistent observation of game animals there habits and habitat is essential to being a good steward of our resources. In short scouting is 90% of the game and great exercise.

3) Stop making excuses! I don't buy it for a second if your too fat, old, busy whatever it's your own fault! I've broken my back twice and was told I'd never walk without a cane again in august of 2000. Being a couch potato is not a valid excuse. With all do respect to the christian tradgangers statements like "I've been praying for the will power" drive me nuts! Fact is he/she probably has given you a thousand reasons to get in shape including the drive to hunt. Instead of praying try doing! Hard, painful and often humiliating work is what got me back in the field.

4) You guys lead a MUCH easier life than I ever have! Between hauling firewood, raising a 3 year old and maintaining a household I seldom need to put in any training time. Looking at the lives of others It dose seem to me that allot of "gym time" is only needed because folks are to lazy in there regular life. Stairs not the elevator, don't use the closest parking spot, walk to your hunting pards house.....it's less than a mile! TURN OFF THE TV AND SPEND SOME TIME OUTSIDE! PLAY WITH YOUR KID!

5)Traditional bow hunting is a lifestyle not a 1 month a year hobby, live that life instead of talking about it. Spend time afield every week, scouting, observing and learning about the game you chase. You'll be a better hunter and "get in shape" without noticing your working out. Either that or take up gulf.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Good points made Rick P. I might add to my previous post, I have had 9 (I thought 11...but as usual my wife of 32 years set me straight) knee surgeries. Three were total reconstructions, one a bacterial infection, and, one was an extensive allograft/replacement (dead guy parts, and titanium). The rest were simple ligament/cartilage repairs. Point being...If you, as Rob said get off the couch, the results start right then. If you don't do anything but WALK...that is an excellent beginning.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick P:
...4) You guys lead a MUCH easier life than I ever have! Between hauling firewood, raising a 3 year old and maintaining a household I seldom need to put in any training time. ... TURN OFF THE TV AND SPEND SOME TIME OUTSIDE! PLAY WITH YOUR KID!

I heat with wood. And I don't pay someone else to cut, split or haul it. I don't have a TV. And  I play with the kids all the time. So don't be so sure we all have it easier than you do.
Even doing all that stuff (and more) does not translate into being able to climb a  slope @ 8500' with a pack chasing an elk. It requires some "GYM TIME".  Some of us can't be in the woods all the time.  So we steal an hour here and there for a workout.

If its at the gym that gets it done, thats a good thing.

Joshua

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Granted

Alpine hunts are a different story.....they do require more training. But the best training for that hunt would be on that mountain not a gym.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Wait a minute where the heck is tree line in Colorado?

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
When did elk stay below tree line anyway?

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Around 10,000
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
jhg

Well 8,500 feet would put you in habitat on the upper edge of what Dall Sheep can tolerate and firmly in mountian goat teritory here in Alaska. Kinda beggs the question "where is colorado's treeline" dont you think? I never said elk don't go above tree line, never hunted Elk so I wouldn't know.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Around 10,000
That's what I gathered from a quick Internet search....thanks for the help.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Congrats Bawana  :knothead:  Bad form dude!

The only thing Rick said there that made any since was you do need to stay active no matter were you live and what you do for a living.

You don't need a gym member ship or a bunch of fancy equipment just do some push ups or sit ups maybe some pull ups a few times a week and you will slowly get better and better.Remember stamina directly effects your desire and it gets better also.

I like to mix it up with running,walking, hill climbing with a pack(Yes we have hills in eastern Kansas)Riding a mountain bike which I use for hunting and some wieght lifting.

I applaud all of you for wanting to better your selves and there physical well being and I look forward to hearing how everybody accomplishes it.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Bad form? Explain please?

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I don't want to be argumentive but I do have alot of experience in keeping in shape for hunting season.I'm a military veteran and have alot of experience. If anyone has actual experience that disagrees with this I would like to hear it. First off the Gym is the worst place that you can go to work out for hunting. Machines and weight lifting are a waist of time if your goal is for hunting shape.Gym machines work the same motion over and over. Weight lifting does the same thing and builds bulk.Do a check on Navy Seal training. Your heart does not Know the difference between muscle and fat. In fact muscle weighs more than fat. You should work the muscles that you use in hunting. I will be 50 years old in June 2010 and I have not hunted with anyone that can keep my pace. I work out to hunting conditions. If anyone is interested in my workout procedure I would be very happy to share with you. The worst fantasy of good shape is the "Treadmill". PM me and I will share a hunting workout based on my military experience.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Adirondackman:
I don't want to be argumentive but I do have alot of experience in keeping in shape for hunting season.I'm a military veteran and have alot of experience. If anyone has actual experience that disagrees with this I would like to hear it. First off the Gym is the worst place that you can go to work out for hunting. Machines and weight lifting are a waist of time if your goal is for hunting shape.Gym machines work the same motion over and over. Weight lifting does the same thing and builds bulk.Do a check on Navy Seal training. Your heart does not Know the difference between muscle and fat. In fact muscle weighs more than fat. You should work the muscles that you use in hunting. I will be 50 years old in June 2010 and I have not hunted with anyone that can keep my pace. I work out to hunting conditions. If anyone is interested in my workout procedure I would be very happy to share with you. The worst fantasy of good shape is the "Treadmill". PM me and I will share a hunting workout based on my military experience.
Not at all argumentative you made a statement of fact as you see it and your spot on!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Cloudcroft New Mexico is over 9000 feet with lots of elk.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I had my 40th birthday July 6th

July 13th I awoke to severe vertigo that was a struggle for weeks.

mid-November I hurt my knee playing basketball (my good knee, the other was scoped a year ago)

I've made up my mind, with life as short as it is, to go back west on a solo hunt this fall. Maybe Colorado, maybe NM, maybe ID .... I haven't chose where or if it'll be elk or muley but I'm going like I did when I was 22 and did it.

I've got about 9 months to lost 15 pounds and get in shape physically and to strengthen my knee etc. I look forward to the challenge.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©