3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I hunted the rockies with the MO Sherpa last elk season and we hunted upto 12 000 ft most days. I'm 34 and like to keep in the best shape life, work and my family will allow me to be in.

I stay in shape by hitting the rowing machine, running, lifting weights and also do a lot of pull ups and push ups for a more natural strength.

IMHO...life is way to short to be unfit and unhealthy.

As the saying goes... "Life is no dress rehersal"

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by coaster500:
Cloudcroft New Mexico is over 9000 feet with lots of elk.
OK one more time I asked about treeline because I was stunned anything worth hunting was found at 8,500 feet, NOT because I doubted jhg!

At 8,500 feet here in Alaska you have snow, rock, maybe a lichen or two and if your lucky in coastal areas you might find a mountain goat. You would not however find anything remotely like an Elk!

Starting to feel you have to candy coat to the highest PC standard any opinion you want to post on tradgang and curiosity is apparently expressly forbidden.  :rolleyes:
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
hiking as often as possible. cycling to and from work,, kayaking.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Rick, didn't mean to offend just thought it might interest you, I mean your curiosity?

Sorry Brother   ;)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline IaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I do Crossfit, one of the most challenging programs I have ever done. Best shape of my life at 38 years old!

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I sure hope I will be !  October thru May or so I work hard on an eliptical 3-6 times a week, for cardio and just to burn calories (~1,000 caloreis a shot).  Used to do a lot of power lifting stuff, but anymore if I lift weights I do a circuit training routine.  Spring comes and I do a lot of hikes in the mountains, early on with my widow for black bears, then in the summer just for exercise, scouting, and just to see whats on the other side ! Am probably in the best cardio shape of my life.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Adirondackman:
... If anyone has actual experience that disagrees with this I would like to hear it. First off the Gym is the worst place that you can go to work out for hunting. Machines and weight lifting are a waist of time if your goal is for hunting shape...
I think we all agree more than disagree....

but,
Take into account not everyone here is in the same shape we are. I agree that the gym is not the best place to train for hunting, but man does have the capacity for higher learning. I don't train in one but thats beside the point. I play hockey and it goes a LONG way toward doing most of what is needed to put me in top shape for the mountains and hunting. Likewise, the gym is not a static environment where the only thing people do is get on a machine or lift weights the old fashioned way. We do plyometrics, speed training and lactate tolerance training and use weight training to build strength rather than  for hypertrophy.  Especially out here in Colorado-so many full time athiletes train here and the knowlege rubs off. The gym can be a pretty tip of the arrow kind of place.

A lot of folks can't, due to schedules or other reasons, find another place to train. If thats the choice they have between doing nothing and something I think something is always better. I think its better to support that than condemn it on a wholesale bases. And as you mention, its how you train your body that counts. I don't think where you train makes one bit of difference.
Any training regime can be applied almost anyplace with some thought.

J-
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Adirondackman:
I don't want to be argumentive but I do have alot of experience in keeping in shape for hunting season.I'm a military veteran and have alot of experience. If anyone has actual experience that disagrees with this I would like to hear it. First off the Gym is the worst place that you can go to work out for hunting. Machines and weight lifting are a waist of time if your goal is for hunting shape.Gym machines work the same motion over and over. Weight lifting does the same thing and builds bulk.Do a check on Navy Seal training. Your heart does not Know the difference between muscle and fat. In fact muscle weighs more than fat. You should work the muscles that you use in hunting. I will be 50 years old in June 2010 and I have not hunted with anyone that can keep my pace. I work out to hunting conditions. If anyone is interested in my workout procedure I would be very happy to share with you. The worst fantasy of good shape is the "Treadmill". PM me and I will share a hunting workout based on my military experience.
The team guys, aka Navy SEALs are gym rats and running fools, they do both.

If everyone did something everyday, or every other day that made them stronger, ie challenged them physically, we would all make Lance Armstrong look like a wimp.

Everyone, everywhere, in every state would be more successful if they were in better shape.  It is not just those of us that hunt with our pack on our backs for a week plus in wilderness areas, but also those hunting the back 40.

One of the biggest strengths "better shape" gives you is not just the ability to go farther, faster, stronger, but also to recover quicker.

My dad is on the 60's side of his 50's and is tough as nails.  He doesn't workout much but is tough as all get out, however after a few hard days he is spent.  Being able to "do it" is only good if you can repeatedly "do it", aka endurance.  Being able to do the same thing on day 10 that you do on day 1 is the biggest difference.

Most folks I know that are in horrible shape can get to the top of just about any mountain on the first day of the hunt, but what about the last...

Stay safe, consult your physician if you have questions, and have fun most of all.

My boys are great pack weights, and also they love to be drug around in a bike trailer or jogging stroller as daddy tries to get "ripped".

Zeke
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I am a bigger than average guy for sure,I have always been big. So I have to stay on top of it. But what I do is to stay as active as I can. I really do not like gyms or machines and would rather do something else.
I bike to work when possible
I hike with a load on
I play at 10,000 ft alot(at least once a week)
I park at the back of parking lots
I fish miles of rivers with vengance,back pack in to remote lakes to fish.
I just do things that take some effort,and push it as hard as I can. I am lucky to live where I do it gives me an opportunity to be in the outdoors alot. Not that I don't have room for improvement but between my hunting,fishing hiking,biking,back country skiing ect... I always suprise the ones that try to keep up each fall.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
I don't think the gym is the worst place you can work out for hunting.
In fact if it is the only place you can work out, then it is the best place you can go.

Any exercise is better than no exercise.
Circuit machines are good for keeping large muscle groups toned and keeping joints moving. I think this in itself is a big factor in preventing injuries and keeping muscles from atrophying.

A lot of you talk about hiking in the higher altitudes in the off season. Well I live at the highest altitude on the east coast of Florida. My little piece of paradise sits at a breath taking 67' above sea level!!!!
If not for adjustable incline treadmills and stair steps there would be no place that I could train that isn't level ground.

My next door neighbor is a world class triathlete and (SHE) does weight training, and swimming at the same gym which I attend. Runs and bikes the road along river where we live.
I would be willing to bet this little 5' 2" cutie could leave most of us in her wake in any endurance type of hunting situation.

The main objective of a hunting exercise program IMO is to keep muscles toned, joints flexible, and build endurance. Combine this with a good diet to keep body fat levels low, and that's all you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep your hunting experience pleasurable.

It doesn't take heavy weights, body weight training is all that is needed to maintain a better level of fitness than 98% of the people in this country are presently in. Look around the next time your out say at the local WalMart. The United States at this time, has got to be the most overweight society which has ever existed in history. I blame it on High Fructose Corn Syrup and the failure of physical education programs in the schools. (I never see kids running around the track these days at schools, their always walking! Whats up with this?)

I'm getting off subject so I'm going to stop. But like I said any exercise is better than none, so don't tell someone what their doing is bad, if at least their doing something!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
bawana bowman, I agree 100% and live at sea level...What are pull ups, push ups, walking up hills, running if not repetition, they may be better? but,if a man gets up in the dark, works 8 to 12 hours a day and can get himself to the gym before or after he is a whole lot better off than doing nothing.

Anything you do to increase the blood pumping ability to feed and strengthen your muscles, tendons and joints is going to translate into a better hunt and you are less likely to be injured or have a heart attack. You will also have more fun in the process. I will not say any mans way of exercising is a waste of time, if you can get in mountains and hike great, if running is your thing great, if the gym great but like Nike says "Just do it"....

Excuse me gents my Elliptical (one of those bad machines) waits and I'm late starting this morning

;)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Have you started yet?

C'mon, you can do it! You'll be glad you did!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
It is so true that it is easier to stay in shape rather than beat yourself into shape.  It has to become part of your life, not just something you do if you draw an elk tag.  

Part of my job is doing stress tests on people, so I am constantly being reminded of how out-of- shape people can be in.  Elderly people who just walk several times a week are often in better shape than the 55 year-old who has a sedentary job and lifestyle.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
NEW YEARS. Time is ticing away. Lets get going so we are ready for the rest of our lives.

YOU have time.
25 push ups jump rope 50 times 25 push ups
Park farther away
Use the steps
100 crunches befor you sit down to tv
EAT HEALTHY.(My problem)
Motivator

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Did my work out this morning and getting ready to go for a run. It has started to snow again and we already have a foot on the ground from last week  :goldtooth:  Got to stay busy.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Any man who says the gym is a bad place to workout is sadly mistaken. My thought is this---the gym has the necessary equipment needed for a complete body workout, all right there in a nice, neat spot. One can do a cycle of weights and cardio there without even leaving the room(keeping the heart rate up). The outdoors are a GREAT place to get your exercise, but the gym is agreat place to use if you are wanting to focus on one or two troublesome areas.

I use both---whenever I have the time to do both.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
As long as round is a shape, I'm in...lol I do expect to do better this coming year assuming that the back surgery holds up like it appears it will.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I find the opinions on this thread intresting and helpful. One that bothers me a bit is the one that Adironackman makes about the Gym being a waste of time.I will agree that if you want to walk or hunt in the woods the best way to get ready for that is to walk and hunt in the woods. but to say gym time is not helpful is wrong. Its helped me alot with my health issues.Any physical activtivity is good and benefits the person doing it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I agree Ron, The gym has it's place. Earlier in this thread I said you don't have to go to the gym to get in shape there's allot you can do at home. Gym member ships are expensive but worth it if you are serious about getting in shape.

While I was injured and recovering several different machines helped me tremendously. I use the free weights to but keep it light, My shoulder has seven pins and anchors in it now and just doesn't work like it use to but I can still pull a bow so I can deal with it. The elliptical machines were great for my hip when I couldn't run or barely walk and I recommend them for anybody with bad knees and ankles also.

Its also the atmosphere in a gym that helps motivate you some times. You see all the other people working out and some are worse off than you but there in there day after day and you think, "If they can do it so can I"  :)  

Next thing you no it's been a month than 2 months and you have started to see your body change in the mirror. You start to notice that set of stairs at work that used to wind you after climbing doesn't anymore.   :saywhat:  Then the scale you weigh on starts to go the right direction and you say hey this is kind of fun.

Good luck everybody so get out there and shed hunt, pull down your stands and do some scouting for next season that's the best kind of exercise right there and take your kids too if you can, Mine are all grown up and I miss it.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
I am rowing, free weights, walking, snow shoeing and some stump shooting to try and keep any kind of fitness level for the spring. The gym is mandatory, its -25-30 degrees outside. 48 years old, not that easy getting back into shape if you let it ride.
Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©