3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks  (Read 2622 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will you be prepared physically? 14 weeks
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
As a former athlete (and the father of a former college football player and two former college basketball players), it is my opinion that the gym can be an important part of a full program of fitness and strength. As said earlier on this thread -- the gym is where the equipment is, all in one place.

Weight lifting and other resistance training have changed a lot in the last few decades. Rapid sets keep the heart rate elevated build strength, endurance, and cardio-vascular fitness all at the same time. Complex resistance motions dominate training now and were  unknown a few decades ago. And, yes, it is possible to get very strong without a gym, but strength does take resistance, hard work, and lots of reps no matter what method you use. A barbell, a hammer-strength machine, a log, or your own body weight can all serve the same purpose, but you do have to lift it to get the benefit.

Strength improvements made at the gym need to be put to use and translated into skilled motion. That is where getting into an environment of application (hunting woods, baseball field, boxing ring, etc.) and using the improved strength and fitness comes into play. Skill and strength are different training areas.

Every professional and college sports program has a weight-room routine. They do that for two reasons: first, because they have found there are limits to what can be efficiently done with body-weight exercises alone; second, because it pays off in measurable results -- measurable results: times and scores, not opinions.

Perhaps we can think of it this way: more strength and endurance means having more physical talent. Developing the talent into an applied skill is the next step in the process and both steps are necessary for me to be at my best (I am not a "natural" in either area).

My two cents worth and my humble opinion.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Folks! Keep it up if you started or already have a routine!

If you have yet to begin a program now is a good time to plan one and get it started! Little pieces lead to success.

C'mon now, you'll thank yourself later... we are all pulling for ya!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Great topic and i just pray i can put these dang smokes down. I workout on a regular basis and then light up when i get through, how insane is that.

The biggest buck i killed this year came in and i had to drop my cig in my water bottle before i could shoot.

I was addicted to pain pills for 15yrs and finally kicked that habit or should i say sickness, these cigs are turning out to be harder to kick than the pills.

Any advice would sure be appreciated.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Joe, find a local group or create some sort of support system amoung friends/family so you don't have to "go it alone". Its been proven someplace that quitting is very difficult without others
. We all lean on our friends, out families and others.

Quitting smoking is no different.

Post your progress here. We'll pat you on the back and/or kick you in the butt, depending...

Joshua

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I couldnt agree with you more Joshua, i have a huge support group im envolved with concerning my drug addiction.

Im going to have a house full tonight watching the Alabama game.

And yea i do need a kick in the butt on a regular basis.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
GET OUT!

Are we walking yet? Maybe with the pack on? Doing a few push-ups? Stretches?

Make the change, one piece at a time.

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Hitting the gym 3-4 days a week. Lifting and cardio. I am going to start hiking in a few months when the weather gets better. Not so wet out.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
ttt

Added the rowing machne to the end of my weight routine.  Building stamina, cardio and leg strength.

J-

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
I have been having a hard time getting to the gym this week. My schedule at work is weird. I work 1 on one of 2 on type schedule and they are nights and 12 hour shifts. These are my excuses.LOL. I am going to the gym on my next day off (sunday). Everyone keep training hard.

Greg

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
When the weathers bad and the wife and I don't want to get out we just work out at home while watching TV. We have some dumbbells we picked up cheap and a workout ball that we picked up at Walmart for ten bucks.

We do some kind of exercise on every commercial, Sit ups,push ups,leg lifts,jumping jacks,weights, tons of different things you can do. We have a treadmeal too for when the weathers bad outside. You would be surprised how much you can get done and still watch your favorite shows and get in shape at the same time  :D  

When the weather gets better jump on the bike or go for a walk maybe a run. Spring is right around the corner.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I started something new this year, ROM exercise machine. I was skeptical at first, and I still don't know if it will live up to the hype, but I figure, in addition to my usual conditioning, it can't hurt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
TTT

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Well I am feeling human again after having the flu this week. My temperature is down and feeling good. I am working tomorrow and back to the gym on Monday.

Greg

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »

I just HAD to post that!! Sorry, Guys!       :thumbsup:      
>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »
Ok, I'm 44 yr. Now and I have a pacemaker / defibrillator I also have a mechanical Heart valve. so lots of work out I can't do.

The Wife and I have been doing walks  (when weather lest Us) every night with the dogs. That's about it for now.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
57 years old - 6am

I'm headed down to my home gym for 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of lifting -3 days a week

Not all that much fun - but worth the effort when spending a day on the trout stream or still hunting white tail!

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I need to stack wood . That is a good workout and makes me smile when I see the end results.

Parking farther away and keeping food spending journal.

Lets keep it up.

Tim

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
One last bump to top and then I'll let this die... (sniff)

For those working out let us know how its going.

Joshua

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
No reason to let it die lets keep it going and hopefully motivate someone else.  :D  I hope everyone else is staying with it.

Running on treadmill 3 times a week because of the crappy weather, Come on spring  :bigsmyl:  and hitting the weights 3 times also. As soon as it drys up some I will be on the Mountain bike alot too.

We ran a under-ground 5k race in January another 5k this month and have another March 6th. I just ordered my first ever new bow and will be picking up the pace soon getting ready for the mountains this fall.  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I run 3 to five miles a few days a week and when it warms up those miles will move to the mountains.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©