3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tinitus and hunting  (Read 780 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tinitus and hunting
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
FWIW, those of you who are veterans and have tinnitus, it may very well be a VA compensable disability. If you can show that your tinnitus was caused by things such as jet engines and firearms, artillery, etc. that you were exposed to while in the military, you could be eligible. Check with a local vet rep or your local VA benefits counselor. They probably can't stop the ringing, but at least you might get a bit of compensation for your problem.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Wow and I thought I was the only one.Left ear, started when I was shooting at a running ground hog with a 357 mag revolver. 30 years ago. Just learned to deal with it like music when I want to relax or read. Hud thanks for the info I will check out the online info today.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Along with extreme, sudden high dB noises and some medicines,
I've found another source of that classic 5 kHz whine to be caused by mother-in-laws   ;)
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
owlgrowler, very good information there.  Waterfowl hunting ruined my hearing and like Killdeer I'm never without silence, just a ringing in the ears.  I have ringed my ears deer hunting twice including once this year and now carry earplugs to push into the ear when I see a deer.

The most irritating thing is to have my grandchildren talk to me with their little voices and I can't understand them half the time.  I also have trouble hearing my wife or in a crowded place with lots of background noise.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I have had severe tinnitus for the last 20+ years.  It is associated with dizziness, nausea, and headaches.  Its there constantly, thought more noticeable at some times than others.
After years of trying to find help I was finally diagnosed with “Meniere’s Syndrome”.  It’s a Vestibular (Inner Ear) disorder.  No cure, nothing (meds) really helps.  Actually the meds I was put on (for 15+years) did me great harm.  I was put on Klonopin (3mg daily).  I was told it was harmless.  It is not.  It is in the same family as Valium, Xanax, et. but much stronger.  I got seriously addicted to it, not even knowing that I was.  I just thought I was getting sicker.  Long story short, it took me over a year to detox, and now 3 years off it, still have neurological problems.  It’s nasty stuff.

Warning to all.  If you are ever prescribed any sort of Benzodiazapine (this is the family of drugs including the Klonopin, Valuim, and Xanax).  Do careful research yourself and know that it IS addictive.  Many doctors do not do their homework on the long lasting effects of many meds they prescribe.  You have to be your own advocate.

As mentioned stay away from Aspirin. It makes the tinnitus worse.  As does salt.  A low salt diet helps.  You do sort of get used to living with it, but its not pleasant.  It’s less noticeable when you’re fully occupied with something, but sitting in a tree blind is one of those times when it will really be noticeable.

Anyone with severe tinnitus, and thinking they might want more info on Vestibular Disorders, “Meniere’s Syndrome” (tinnitus with nausea, dizziness, vertigo, headaches), tinnitus.  Might find some info here…

VEDA web page  

Hud!
Thanks for the tip on the OHSU clinic.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Lipo-flavonoids------a natural supplement that is very good for inner ear circulation.
It is the main ingredient in nearly all the ear-related substances out there.
It helped my tinnunitis after I started taking it.........
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
I might not have conveyed my thoughts here. I too, HAD, as in the past tense, tinnitus. My hearing aids have almost eliminated the ringing. I can hear silence. When you lose the ability to hear high frequency sounds, your brain takes over and fills in with all the weird stuff.I'M CONVINCED IT WILL MAKE YOU CRAZY, MENTALLY DISTURBED. And then, if you don't do anything about it, because your brain has gone for such a long time without receiving those synapses, you will lose the ability to receive them and it will be gone forever. Do yourself and loved ones a favor and get tested by a legitimate Dr./ audiologist. OK lecture over.

It won't be cheap. Most insurance companies won't cover it,(big surprise). Mine cost $1600.00 apiece, thirty two hundred dollars, it was worth it. Although now I would probably downgrade to the $1000 ones without the volume control. Do it.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
i did some reading on it and this is some of the things i've found
AVOID.... loud noises, nicotine, caffeine, tonic water, alcohol and various medications
SOME THINGS THAT MAY HELP.... cleap your ears clean of wax, anti-anxiety drugs, antidepressants, antihistamines, ginkgo biloba, zinc, magnesium and acupuncture
mabey this will help someone, if not sorry and wish you all the best
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
You will find some helpful info at the OHSU website. You can Google OHSU Tinnitus Clinic or us the following.

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohrc/tinnitusclinic/

I have personally found the Remington R2000 Hearing Protection Thin Muffs helpful for a lot of situations. First they have a dial that allows you to increase hearing, but at the same time cuts out loud noises. Great for work, around power equipment, shooting, and even hunting. You can carry on a conversation while wearing them. They can be uncomfortable in warm or hot weather.

You can find them in lots of sporting outlets or online. There is a picture at this website.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/remington-r-electronic-thin-hearing-muffs.html

I always keep soft plugs with me if not ear muffs for any situation. I NEVER us any power equipment without good hearing protection.

Secondly, I have used the Walker Game Ear, Digital HD Pro which has accessories, follow the directions. I believe it is important not to turn it up to high, it is capable of 9x hearing enhancement, and does not block out loud noise as they claim. You can hear ants in leaves with these hummers. Seriously, it would be possible to do more damage to your hearing by increasing the amplification more than what is needed.

If you make it a rule to use hearing protection around work or home when using lawn mowers, shop equipment or anything place where there is loud noise, it will help prevent further hearing loss.

If your kids are prone to use head sets for music, videos etc., I would DEFINITELY discourage their use. Nothing good will happen. After you look at the website, show it to your kids.

As for quiet times, I keep a radio with me while traveling and at home or work. I even use it at night, but I am single and the dogs don't seem to mind.

The point is to provide the information so you can improve your situation and enjoy hunting a bit more. If you use either the Walker Game Ear or the Remington R2000 and there are others out there, you won't be surprised by a deer walking out behind your ground blind.

It would be important to get tested, not just for hearing loss but by a tinnitus clinic.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Very informative. I don't have tinnitus, but do have hearing loos of high frequency especially. 30+ yrs of power saws, nail guns, shotguns, handguns, rifles, chainsaws, you name it, I did it. Just like a lot of you I can't hear in any noisy crowded place or carry on a conversation. The one good thing I have done is convince my son to wear hearing protection at work(construction)
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Killy,

I'd never mention it but now that you bring it up, I can hear that din in your head over in my camper at B'more and it does bode restless sleep for others within 200 yards!   :rolleyes:    :saywhat:  

I thought mine was from allergies. When they flare, it's insane. But doc's promised me it came from running chain saws, tons of shooting w/out hearing protection (who knew cigarette filters in your ears weren't helpful?), and factory work.

Course, then in a quiet room like now, dead of winter, I can close my eyes and pretend it's a summer evening with the katydids just singin a chorus for me...

RE: Walker Game Ear. I have a good adjustible frequency one... I lost so much of high end frequency in both ears, it can't help much improve that range of hearing.

What I do notice is that a) it allows me to hear better, but I can't begin to tell what direction the sound is coming from without TWO of them expensive buggars and b)as time wears on wearing it, I keep having to turn it up to get the same assistance from it... and then when a blood crow flies over and rips off a Kaaaw-kawwww I about jump outa the stand.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Is the noise in my head bothering you?
Killdeer

Not if you stand over there.

Sometimes my dogs have this weird look, I think their trying to figure what the noise is coming from, so I give them a bone and their happy again.
Barry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Wow! I didn't realize that this was an issue with so many people.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm sure that something may help even if it does not get rid of the condition.

Thanks,

Don

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Too many pistols..and concerts (late 60's early 70's). That's what the Doc. said. Tinnitus....well...I think I might have always had that.  Not sure, but pretty.

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
It's not so much the sound of the tinnitus that's bothering me while hunting but the loss of ability to distinguish direction of sound is more annoying. My tinnitus comes and goes, louder some days than others. My understanding (from an audiologist) is that there are a lot of different causes--exposure to loud noises over time (Did I really need to go see the Who do "Tommy" all those years ago?), ear infections, pressure in the eustachian tube, etc.

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I have had it in both ears for 30 years and it is not much fun. Hearing aids help. I sometimes ues the a Game ear while hunting and it helps a lot.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
I've also had tinitus since the afternoon in 1969 that I fired off two boxes of .357's out of a Ruger Blackhawk. Went to an ENT when the ringing hadn't stopped for a week and was informed that I should probably get used to it since the ringing would never completely go away. He was right the ringing has never totaly stopped and has gotten progressively worse with age. Walker's Game ears do help.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
I've had it for 30 years. Caused by, at the time, untreated high blood pressure
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Also for a long time.  Like Huntryx, the directional hearing messes me up, especially with high pitched sounds.

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
The Walker Game Ear will help, but you'll need two to get good directional qualities. I finally went to hearing aids because of the ringing, which covers up the high pitch noises. I found ear candeling helps somewhat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©