3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to me Bow question  (Read 174 times)

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New to me Bow question
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Tryin to find out about a New To Me bow I just got. It is a Ben Pearson Cougar 7050, 62" 45@28". Anyone know about this bow? All comments are welcome.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: New to me Bow question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
The first Ben Pearson Cougar was made in 1958 in 64" length.  The first 62" Cougar was made in 1967 but the model number was still 962, and yours is either a 1968 or 1969, the two years they used the number 7050 for the Cougar.  In 1970 the number became 7080.

The 68/69 had:
Brace height recommended 7 1/2 to 8 inches.
6 1/2" sight window, solid bubinga riser.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Got the Bow today and was kinda disappointed...I'm gonna have to post pics b/c it looks like the limbs are split on both top and bottom completely through and including 1the handle area. The splits appear to be through the lams and one looks like it goes completely through to the other side. I think whoever had this attempted repair and failed, but I'm not sure. The bow also needs a little tlc as far as the finish goes as well, the bow is old I know but has not been well cared for. I hate this b/c my mom got it for me with good intentions, and I'm unsure if I will ever be able to use this bow. I will try and get some pics up and see what you guys think, and any recommendations will be welcome for sure.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
I'd clean it up, hang it in the center of my living room or rec room, and tell my Mom a "Big Thank You". The reason for not wanting to shoot such an old bow is ? Use your finest imagination for that answer.
That's my recommendation.
You can find an awful good shooter for a good price here in the classified section and not disappoint your Mom.
I'm sure others will chime in and possibly help out on this one.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Thanks Bowferd,
I'm sure I'll think of something...In the meantime I guess I'll be looking for another recurve bow in the 45#@28" range. I checked the classifieds and have inquired on a few, I guess I'm just down about how thoughtful Mom was and not being able to use such a nice gift that she spent her hard earned $ on. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find one that'll be able to be used that will at least be in better taken care of shape from the fellas and ladies in here.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©