3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chemical hand warmers  (Read 680 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Chemical hand warmers
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Have you found one brand to be warmer than others?

I find sometimes they work great and other times, not so much and I cannot figure out if it related to  the brand or just a bad warmer.

The brands I've used are Grabber, Hot Hands and Game Winner.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chemical hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
I believe they have a shelf life. I have used last years leftovers with mixed results. I buy the ones that Wally World sells.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
I like Grabber, the Hot Hands have aren't as reliable. I don't know what I would do without  hand warmers.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
These are made in various plant with various formulas.  And the Quality Control is often sketchy at best.  That probably accounts for the variability more than anything else.  There are some military suppliers that are really good but you will pay for them.  Probably cheaper and easier just to live with the variability.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I buy whatever is on sale. I personally think they do have a shelf life. If I'm not sure of their quality....I take a bunch.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Hot Hands work great for me. However for some reason the ones left over from last season do not get as hot. bought some at dollar general do not remember the brand and they only heat for about 1.5 hrs ( pkg says 8).

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
I like Grabber. I have had problems with hot hands.

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
The Heat Factory brand is the one I prefer.  All the ones I have used this year had an '08 expiration date, and there have been zero duds.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Expiration date?  They expire, dang so the ones I been saving for 5 yrs probably will fizzle.

Guess I should use them when I have cold hands instead of waiting for when I think I really need them.  Usually pick up a case when Wally World has them on sale.  Keep them in elk camp for everyone to dip into.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Do any of you guys remember the reusable ones?

They were a plastic envelope with clear liquid in them and a dime sized piece of metal floating around.  You simply grabbed the metal piece through the bag and "popped" it by bending and it started a chemical reaction that solidified the liquid and generated a LOT of heat.  

To re use, you just put in the microwave for a certain time and it all went back to clear liquid again.  I don't remember the name but would sure like to find some.  My dad had them and loaned me two one time and I thought they really worked well.

FYI, my description above may be off a little...it's been about ten years or better and I never owned any myself, just got loaned some and liked them a lot.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Yep Dave I think I still have a couple around here.  Trouble was they only lasted about 5 minutes and were very hot.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Just answered my own question via Google....

They are called HotSnapZ.  Look it up.  They have a video showing the activation and reactivation.   Pretty cool.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
I haven't experimented with enough different brands to develop a preference.  I do know though that they need enough air to get really warm.  If they're starved for oxygen, say in an inside pocket,they won't get as warm as if they're in a pocket exposed to the outside that occasionally lets a little air in.  I think the foot packets are formulated to work with less oxygen because they get really hot when exposed to the air.

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I remember my Grandpa used a little metal hand warmer that was covered with red felt I think.  He used to light a little bar and place it inside the warmer, which would smolder for hours and keep your hands toasty.
I don't remember who made that hand warmer, or if that type is even manufactured anymore, but they sure did do their job well...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I have had good luck with the Grabber brand

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I use them all with no problems! I just finished up some that were 2 years old and worked perfect! I take them out of the wrappers for 15 minutes prior to putting them in my pockets! I'll take them out of my pockets every once in a while, shake them up and let them  get some fresh air and they warm right back up! Air is the key!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
i just bought a couple of the old style handwarmers off ****, i got the one j.adams is talking about, the fuel bars are kinda hard to find but i did pick some up on there. I bought one of the old jon-e g.i. handwarmers that uses lighter fuel, its probably from the 1960 from the looks of the packaging it came in, it works great but it does smell so dont think i'll be taking that one to the stand. I like the small disposable warmers from wally world to put in my mittens,i get mixed results from all brands of those.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Another type of warmers I found to be very helpful during the late season.

http://www.youtube.com/user/W8N4FALL#p/u/17/76tufK6wglM

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I use the Grabber about all the time now.  I think I had some not so good ones a while back.  I think they were hot hands.  I have just used up about the last of my stock pile I got two years ago after the season closed.  They all worked great.  I just got loaded up on them for Christmas.  I got three 10 packs of hand and toe warmers.  Now I am set for a couple more seasons.  I also always carry them in a sealed freezer bag just to keep them organized and maybe it helps them last.  

I carry around a small plastic bag to put them in when hunting.  Often when the weather is a little cold, but not really cold yet I only need them for a couple hours early in the morning or at night.  I can seal them up to stop them from working and then use them a gain a second or even a third time.  

I also love those Thermacare back wraps.  I normally only use them when my back is a little achy from long hours hunting, but they sure to heat you up.  They are supposed to last 8 hours, but I get an easy 10 or little more.  I can put them in a plastic bag also and get a couple hunts out of them if I only hunt half days.

I still have a couple old metal lighter fluid style.  They work great, but smell a lot.  I have not used them for years.  Just too much fussing around.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I remember taking a nail apron and a couple Jon-E hand warmers along when I'd hunt in cold weather. I'd wear them under a one-piece camo suit and slip my hands inside to stay warm. Half the time those things would stop working within an hour (which I'm sure was somehow my fault). The one and only time I got frostbite was after both of my Jon-E hand warmers went out on a sub-zero afternoon hunt. I also used the charcoal warmers for years, but they were also notorious for not staying lit.

These days I wait until I see the dry chemical hand and toe warmers on sale and then buy a bow of each for the following season. Only once have I ever had them not work, and that was probably because I didn't expose the toe warmers to air long enough before putting them in my boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©