3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BW Longbows  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
BW Longbows
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I have a 62", 49# Firefly that I shoot extremely well.  However, I need 50# minimum to hunt elk here in Oregon.  A good friend is telling me that the BW longbow is the way to go.  I could order a set of 53# limbs for the Firefly, but to be honest with you I still have a bit of a problem with the TD recurve handle/longbow limb set-up aesthetically .  Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I like the looks/lines of standard recurves and longbows.

So, that said, any real life opinions/comparisons of BW longbows would be greatly appreciated.  Please, no BW bashing.

Thanks!

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BW Longbows
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt because I've only had a PLG for about a month. For my shooting style and my money I think you can get something else that would be less expensive and shoot just as well. Just one of many examples - I think Jim Neaves is charging $800 for a Centaur Carbon Elite, which you'd have to wait for but is an awesome bow. My feeling thus far is that the widow is kind of "high strung" - it shoots hard but you feel it in both the draw and the shot. Like I said, though, I've only been shooting it about a month.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
"My feeling thus far is that the widow is kind of "high strung" - it shoots hard but you feel it in both the draw and the shot."

Thanks Bowfiend.  That's the kind of info I'm seeking.
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I don't know Weasie, I just got ANOTHER BW longbow cause they seem so smooth to me. This one is Juniper, 66", 54#@32". I'm shooting 700gr carbons w/125gr Muzzy Phantoms.

Different guys have different feel but the only longbow I have that is smoother is my Great Northern Traditional Longbow. That may be because it's a 70"er.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I am shooting my 2nd PL V. I used to have a 64" 63#, and swapped it for a 62" 57#@28" that is absolutely perfect for me. IMO, It is a hard hitting, super smooth bow that is also built like a tank, to withstand the harshest environment, be it weather or terrain related, as well as the harshest treatment from its owners, or at least one of them, ME! I also think the bamboo in the PL V adds to the smooth draw.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and look at Dan Toelke "Whips"
(www.montanabows.com), as well mannered a bow as you will ever shoot. They are $700.00, superbly crafted of beautiful woods and the longest I've waited for delivery on a number of them has been 29 days. In addition you will find Dan the best guy in the world to deal with.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I have a PLX 62" 83#@29 which is very smooth provided you are used to pulling something like that. For most things I shoot what would be considered a light 8.1gpp arrow for the bow weighing in at 675 gr and is very fast and flat. Shooting something more in the 10gpp range is really quiet, smooth and hard hitting, which would likely be the case with any weight BW longbow with a 10 gpp arrow.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Weasel, Jay St.Charles can make you one that has all kinds of romantic appeal, and it will shoot great too.   Is the BW even a D-bow?

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
what jim wright said x2

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I third Jim's comment.  Dan is the best, IMO...Mike

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Well, my Mom always said, "If you can't say anything nice..."

I've owned a few with a mix of the older LAG and the newer PL models, don't own one now, and won't in the future.  I know there are a lot of folks who love them, great for them, just not my cup of tea...  I do like the Widow recurve design, but don't happen to own any right now as I'm more of a longbow shooter.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Having had two, I think they are a fine bow. They are fast and forgiving. I really cut my teeth as a bowhunter with them, taking my first goats, pigs and a camel. However, these days, the romantic in me prefers to shoot Hills when the longbow bug bites.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I've owned BW Longbows in the past. There is no doubt they are a sweet shooting bow. However, for me, they are just a little on the heavy side.

My current favorite is a Mississippi Lake Longbow made by Jim Godden. He takes the time to listen to what you want and makes a great Longbow with little weight time. Also for less that any of the bows mentioned so far.
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline Spike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I have been through 24 trad bows in the last 8 years or so,trying lots of different designs. The PL is not the fastest or prettiest depending on the model, but I am down to 1 bow and that is a PLV T/D 62" that I draw to 29" nicely. The PLV has the right combination of grip, performance, decent brace height to clear heavy jackets etc and is very forgiving and easy to setup/tune. It is also one of the best built/durable bows I have owned. You need to find one to shoot or do their "TEST DRIVE" to see if it is the bow for you. Used ones a couple of years old can be had also for a reasonable cost on teh classifieds and sold for what you paid if you determine you don't care for it.
Big Jim TC 56" 53#@29"
Live Free or Die!

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
After all the bows that I have owned and tried over the last 10 years I have finally gotten out of the buying, selling and trading.  There are a few that I have owned that thinking back I maybe should have kept, (MOAB, Massie, to name two) but the two bows that I ended up keeping are my ACS CX and my PLGA.  My ACS is hands down the best shooting bow I have ever shot and my Black Widow PLGA is not only a looker, but fast, smooth, forgiving and built to last.  Not only are both of these bows great to shoot, but the customer service of both companies is outstanding.
  Best advise would be to find one to shoot and see if it is for you.  If not, there are many other great bow makers out there producing bows.  If you have the time and the means, Kalamazoo is coming up in January and you could try out alot of bows from different bowyers.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I agree completely with you on the "looks/lines" comment Weasel. I like the BW's but I prefer the Border GL. Pete Ward did a review on  www.peteward.com  if you'd like to check it out.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
I agree with Lefty as I have both too. And have another A&H ACS CX on order.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I think BW still offers the test drive, where you can try out the model that you want. If your still leaning towards one you might try that.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I can't imagine a PL not being smooth. I do know that you want to get one made after they started putting carbon in the back of the limb. I have a 64" 60lb PLII and it is one of the best longbows I have ever shot. Light as a feather too. It feels like I'm drawing about a fifty pond bow.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I've had two B/W longbows.  My b/w is my go to bow------right now....  I really do like it.  Quiet fast very pointalbe (is that a word?) Killed two deer with it this year both pass throughs.... Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©