3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tanning a beaver tail  (Read 149 times)

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
Tanning a beaver tail
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
In an earlier post I asked to see some grips on some of the gangs bows to get an idea for my new Kanati. I still love the looks of the beaver tail grips.  Now I just got off the phone with a local trapper.  I have tails coming my way.  Can anyone who has experience tanning give a reccomendation for a good tanning product.  I know I can purchase tanned tails from sponsors and other companies, but I would like to give it a try first.
Al

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tanning a beaver tail
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
You can preserve Beaver tails to use as grips very cheaply. You do not need to tan them. Just rub them good with Borax. Put them in a warm low humid area. 2 days later, wipe with clean rag and rub with Borax again. Do the same thing 2 days later. After that rub with neatsfoot oil. Ready to use in about a week. Will last your lifetime.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Thanks, Adirondackman.  My local trapper asked how many I wanted?  I told him all he could get. He Said he had several in the freezer he used for coyote bait but threw most of the tails away. Just think of all those wonderful grips going to waste.
Al

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I tried some.Not easy to skin but theres really not a whole lot of fleshing to do.Im gonna have to try Johns method.Mine shriveled up til the were like thin rawhide.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
If you have any extra let me know. I'm making an Indian D - bow that i would like to use beaver for the handle'
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©