3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Day with Don D...and some other fine folks...  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Day with Don D...and some other fine folks...
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
I don't know what you and Marty are gonna be doing at midnight but you'd better be very quiet about it, cause if you wake me up I'll stuff you both in an old tennis shoe!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Hey there Jay! Glad you found a home to hunt hogs- call sometime when you want a change of scenery. I know you don't like feeders so much, but there's plenty of walkin room if you don't mind bears and panthers- a few have moved in since your last visit!!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Jay, Glad you posted here, I didn't know if you were even a TG member.
I was gonna ask Don for your email to send pix and thank you for the invite to stay for another day.....it meant a lot coming from you. You all made this "yankee" feel very much at home at your "little piece of heaven". There's something so special about camps like yours.

I can't thank you all enough for the hospitality, and yes, I would luv to come back some time!   Thank You,much appreciated...

Congrats to Cody, that's awesome!! Ya know I thought about that, but really couldn't tell if any were. Just don't have enough experience around hogs, and I sure didn't want to make a mistake.  Any pix of Cody's hog?

Biggie, To be honest, I had no idea what Marty had in mind when he asked, but my first thought was "I plan to be sleeping at midnight"...I'm pretty boring.  Besides,I plan on being worn out from killin, skinnin', and butchering hogs!!

I'll see you tomorrow!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Hey Marty!  I've been hoping you would come over and spend time with us!  Food's real good. We'll throw on a beef loin and all the fixin's. I owe you for all the kindness you showed me letting me hunt your place so often back in the day.  

Curt, Cody and I had a chance to glass those sows for a good long while to pick out the one for him. That scruffy male was still in there, and I may chase him around this weekend. I'm lugging a bunch of camera gear out to get some turkey and pig photos for a few articles that are brewing.

You are welcome back any time, whether through Don or me. As you know, Don Davis is a great hunting companion and friend. Karen and I owe him a great deal for helping me through some rough times, getting me out of the hospital and into the woods.

I'm glad you could get down and find some success! - Jay and Karen Campbell
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Marty, Biggie,

Don't be too hard on the little feller, ain't much bigger n a squirrel. Kinda jumpy too. Rattlers should be moving all over the place when the sun is out down there. Didn't you guys lose a Yankee to one a couple years ago, or so the story goes? Curt ain't gotta worry about the bears or panthers-they won't eat Yankees. Probably the smell.
DonD

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Cool story and pics Curt! Nice work.

Hmmm...you havent lived until you've seen Biggie in his "tighty whiteys"...in person...

Peter

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
.... Don, I DO like the way you tell a more believable tale. Some folks tend to prevaricate.

Killdeer    :saywhat:    Trad Gang is more than a place to visit with hunting friends.  It is a place to expand ones mind!  :thumbsup:    :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I don't know what you and Marty are gonna be doing at midnight but you'd better be very quiet about it, cause if you wake me up I'll stuff you both in an old tennis shoe!

:biglaugh:  

A good time  WILL be had by all!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Nice story from both Curt....and Don!  And a nice piggy too, Curt!  

I've been to that orange grove....but Don did'nt show me no feeders?  Whats up with that Don?   I had to work to get my mmmmisss!  

It truly is a beautiful place down there.  I only had a day to wander with Don, but I won't soon forget it.  Fun stuff.  And yes the food was incredible...and hey, that Jay Campbell can accompany on the guitar pretty good too!    But he can't sing too well.   Great camp in my opinion.   Congrats again, Curt!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »
Jay, Thanx bud...I hope to take you up on that. Like I said earlier, it means a lot coming from you.....

Don...   :scared:     Let's hope he's at least moved on to boxer briefs    :smileystooges:    

Everyone, Thanx so much for the congrats, well wishes, and fun.

You'all are the reason I'll take a chance and pull out my camera mid-stalk to take photos...I just know you'll enjoy "being there with me"!    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »
Man Curt, you're up awful early aren't you? What are you excited or something? I'm just wonderin how Biggie is gonna get us into a tennis shoe? I'll havta set my alarm and get up Thursday eve and find out!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »
I have honestly been up since 3:00...this feeling never gets old!

Biggie's all talk, he's one of those guys that are all big and tough behind a computer screen!

When I met him last year with Terry at the Paradise...he was just like a big shy teddy bear    :goldtooth:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
True, I did not know of the feeder until this past weekend. Besides Mark is a Montanan and an incredible hunter. He certainly isn't the worlds greatest bow shot like Curt- I don't think he missed the target, just one hog because didn't want me to throw out my shoulder loading it, unlike Curt who didn't care about my wellbeing.

Yep the Montanans are my favorite people and if they happen to need someone to share a camp with them, in Montana, I will make the sacrifice. (hint). And they at least will make an effort to eat their grits!
DonD

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
GOOD LUCK Curt...keep us updated...and Sky said again that he wishes he was with you  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Well, Mark: Good to hear from you! True, I can't sing much, but its been a good year for guitars. Here (if the photo thing works) is a picture of Karen and me and a few new Taylors. I hear you may be coming down this year again! We'll have a time. I'll show you a feeder, if that's the way you roll.  :-)  Jay and Karen Campbell

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/jaycampbelljd/Jay_and_Karen_Christmas_09tradgangs.jpg[/IMG]
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I'll try that picture thing again - Jay Campbell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
Don, it won't be long and we'll be chasin' hogs in TX!!!!

That's a great pic Jay!  I heard ya pickin', but was kinda lost around camp that night and didn't wander over to get a better listen...it was cool to hear though...

I'm about out, we'll "talk" in a couple day   :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

Shhhhhhh-don't tell Guru, but this was right outside of camp last week on the main road- interrupted my wife having one of those oranges on the buggy! How many women won't put down their orange to pose with a rattlesnake?

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Dang Marty, that thing is still squirming!

I just ordered "Totch" to learn more about how you guys hunt down there in the Glades! Thanks for the recommend DonD.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
No prob Terry. Not the best written book but the dude led an interesting life for sure. Give me a ring when you are down and we'll try to set you up for some pig huntin. I don't actually have guest privledges at the lease Guru hunted but another member made room. We talk more in Nashville I hope.

Marty, You have to use that snake to scare Curt somehow. Actually he looks like good eatin size, with grits of course.
DonD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©