3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Peregrine or the Whip?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
The Peregrine or the Whip?
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
Hi Gang,

I am new here on this forum and decided to register after lurking for a while.
I have some questions:

I am thinking of buying a new longbow. I narrowed my choice down to The Peregrine of Cari-bow or The Wip from Dan Toelke.

I understand that both bows are outstanding and show great craftmanship.
I will use it for 3D tournaments/training only, because bowhunting is forbidden in The Netherlands.

Which bow will be more convenient for 3D shooting?

What I search in a bow is:
- A Smooth draw with no stack
- Stabile
- Forgiving
- Accuracy
- Speed (min. 180 fps at 45# and 9 GPP)
- Beauty
- Reliable

Since I am an MS patient, a smooth draw is important, otherwise my fingers will hurt to much.

I read alreday the reviews at Pete Ward's site.

An other question is: in which dept. here can I introduce myself?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Peregrine or the Whip?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »
G'day!

My Opa is from Rotterdam, so I'm part-Dutch. The Dutch sure know how to create good Christmas food!

Anyway, here on PowWow is the place to tell us a bit about yourself.

I can't help you with your choice, except that I've not gone wrong by looking at pictures, reading what others have to say about a bow, and ordering one unseen from a reputable bowyer - I haven't met a bow I didn't like. I'd say go with the one you like the looks of most.

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I can't help a lot as I have not owned them and shot them extensively, but I have shot them both.  

The Peregrine was probably the smoothes LB I have ever shot.  The limb action is really light.  The limbs are like a fly rod sort of feels, very flexible.  It was quiet.  The grip on the one I shot was a little different with not much of a palm swell so my hand kind of wanted to hang off some.  I don't know if that was a standard grip or not.  All I know is was different to what I was used to and a little odd at first, but very repeatable so I shot it extremely well for a bow I had never picked up before that.  The bow was flawless with a really nice low gloss finish system.  It was everything you read about and more.  I have had my eye out for a used one, but have never seen one come up for sale yet.  I hope they are at Kzoo this year for the show.  I didn't know anything about Cari-bow last year so I didn't shoot any of their bows.  They are one of the top three on my list for this year.

The Toelke bows I have shot have been very nice.  The fit and finish was great.  They were nice shooters for sure.  Better bows than most of the LB's I have shot and owned.   I just didn't find them to be spectacular for me personally.  Top of the line they were for sure.  I would have to shoot a few more to see if they are really what I personally like.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
If you want smooth.....you can't beat the peregrine!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Great advice for you. Also, is there an appreciable difference in price or delivery time? Will the bowyer work on the grip with you? Some things to think about. Good luck with your choice, and welcome to tradgang.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Thank you for all the answers!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I have a peregrine and a wolverine from cari-bow.
both bows are very smooth and easy to shoot. The
wolverine is lighter and you can get it shorter
than the peregrine. Long story short, I will never
part with either one of them.PS, pete ward review
is right on the money!

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I have a peregrine and a wolverine from cari-bow.
both bows are very smooth and easy to shoot. The
wolverine is lighter and you can get it shorter
than the peregrine. Long story short, I will never
part with either one of them.PS, pete ward review
is right on the money!

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Good choice of longbows !!!!

I have owned both. Both will have the accuracy, beauty, and reliability that you listed. In fact both had the craftsmanship of near perfection!

My Whip was 60" and if I ever get another one it will need to be 62" or 64". I never scaled mine but my shoulder felt some stack after 28".

My Peregrine was 62" and it did not stack for me.

I perfer a heavier mass riser to help me in my shooting. So I found both to be too light in the physical mass weight area. I like 3pc bows for that reason.

You didnt mention grips but I found both to be somewhat comfy with the Peregrine being a fuller grip. They both have thumb rests.

I think they were equally forgiving to an extent because of the light mass weight.

Performance speaking, it was a clear difference. My Peregrine was faster hands down. The Whip wasnt slow by anymeans and it was one of the quietest longbows I have shot.

I no longer have either one of them but would not hesitate to buy a 62-64" Whip....by the way im looking for one......or a Peregrine.....yup looking for one of those too.   :p
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAD101:
PS, pete ward review
is right on the money!
As a foreigner I am not quite familiar with that expression. Do you mean he is getting payed for positive reviews? In other words: the reviews are of no value???
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
"Right on the money"

Means that his opinion is exactly correct.  That it is of great value!  It would be worth paying for.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Ok,

now I understand. Thnx for explaining!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I have three different brands of RD longbows, one is a Peregrin. I can say the Peregrin has a much more reflexed/deflexed limbs than the other two. It is very smooth and just plain wicked fast. Much quicker than my other two.
I may also add that I really like the other two brands also.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Builder:
I have three different brands of RD longbows, one is a Peregrin. I can say the Peregrin has a much more reflexed/deflexed limbs than the other two. It is very smooth and just plain wicked fast. Much quicker than my other two.
I may also add that I really like the other two brands also.
I would like to know if the string of the Peregrine touches the limbs, as a recurve and what are the tow other brands you mention?
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
The string doesn't touch on the limbs of the Peregrine unless you get it tricked out with brush buttons added.  Abe does beautiful work.  i had mine done with cape buffalo limb tips, brush buttons, cape buffalo inlay on the riser and thumb locator.  i've never owned a Whip, but the Peregrine is one i've kept in my collection.  It is fast.  The limbs load up pretty fast, but it is smooth.  I, too, prefer the mass weight of a takedown so when i hunt with the Peregrine i add a bow quiver.     :)   Hope this makes your decision harder (just kidding)!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
I have owned both bows.

The Peregrine has a more pronounced reflex/deflex design in the limbs. It is a faster bow than the Whip, but the Whip is a quieter-shooting bow.

When strung, the Whip is more d-shape than the Peregrine, therefore the string is further from the limb surface at the tips than the Peregrine.

The Whip has a slight thump to the hand, whereas the Peregrine has none. The Peregrine can shoot a much lighter weight arrow without any hand thump, whereas the Whip requires a heavier arrow to lessen the hand thump.

The Peregrine has more weight on the string at it's strung state than the Whip, this is referred to as "pre-loading". At the beginning of the draw, the poundage per inch increase is a bit more than the Whip. The poundage per inch increase when drawing the Whip is a more gradual and overall increase.

All of the above characteristics are common when comparing a slight r/d longbow (like the Whip) and a more pronounced r/d longbow (like the Peregrine).

Both bows are of impeccable craftsmanship. Both bows have a very comfortable grip with consistent hand placement.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
sidenote to Joe VT - there is a Cari-Bow Snowbird for sale on the classifieds. It is the precursor model of the Peregrine, not quite as fast as the Peregrine (but very close). The grip and balance of the bow is very similar to the Peregrine. The reflex/deflex in limbs isn't as extreme as the Peregrine, and therefore it is a bit quieter than the Peregrine. I know this because I owned that bow at one time. I should not have traded it away, but my affliction to shooting/owning different bows is quite incurable, lol.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Pinelander is spot on with his input. Good description Dave.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pinelander:
I have owned both bows.

The Peregrine has a more pronounced reflex/deflex design in the limbs. It is a faster bow than the Whip, but the Whip is a quieter-shooting bow.

When strung, the Whip is more d-shape than the Peregrine, therefore the string is further from the limb surface at the tips than the Peregrine.

The Whip has a slight thump to the hand, whereas the Peregrine has none. The Peregrine can shoot a much lighter weight arrow without any hand thump, whereas the Whip requires a heavier arrow to lessen the hand thump.

The Peregrine has more weight on the string at it's strung state than the Whip, this is referred to as "pre-loading". At the beginning of the draw, the poundage per inch increase is a bit more than the Whip. The poundage per inch increase when drawing the Whip is a more gradual and overall increase.

All of the above characteristics are common when comparing a slight r/d longbow (like the Whip) and a more pronounced r/d longbow (like the Peregrine).

Both bows are of impeccable craftsmanship. Both bows have a very comfortable grip with consistent hand placement.
Ok,

I think you narrowed it down to the Peregrine then. I live in The Netherlands, where bowhuntinmg is forbidden. So I shoot 3D tournaments only. This means I am in the low-weight arrow camp. 9 GPP would be very common, 8 grains would be even better.  I understand that the Peregrine is more suitable for low arrow weights. I am also in the speed camp. This would be another vote for the Peregrine.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
What I search in a bow is:
- A Smooth draw with no stack
- Stabile
- Forgiving
- Accuracy
- Speed (min. 180 fps at 45# and 9 GPP)
- Beauty
- Reliable
After thinking a bit more about your original prerequisites, a 21st Century longbow might be to your liking as well. Following is a photo of a 21st Century Edge that I used to have. It was 66" long, 40# @ 28". The bow shot .600 spine carbons with a nice flat trajectory (335 gr, 8 gpp, no handshock). Very consistent target-shooting bow, mainly because of the really long riser, and the 66" length provided a very comfortable no-finger pinch release.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©