3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cascade TD Limb Pocket Felt (Dampening)  (Read 210 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Cascade TD Limb Pocket Felt (Dampening)
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Morning Gents,

Just posted this in the bowyer's bench... but this forum is more often read... so...

I just got a nice Cascade Golden Falcon Mag bow 60@28.  Pretty bow that shoots well, but its loud, even with dacron string (flemish 14 strand I just twisted up last night), qivuit silencers and limb savers.  PLUS I am shooting a heavy arrow out of it!  Personally, I want to get rid of the limb savers.  I took the limbs off and the felt is basically completely compressed providing NO cushioning.  The limb bolts also recess into the limb instead of sitting flat.  I think the limb pockets need new felt or perhaps a silicon layer (like on the Robertson I had). Am I right about this and what kind of felt should I use?  Also, is there a place I could buy that silicon?

Thanks!!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cascade TD Limb Pocket Felt (Dampening)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Erik, I use self adhesive felt that I buy at Hobby Lobby, I think that all of the craft stores sell it. It comes in different colors.
I have also used self adhevive rubber, also sold in craft stores.They both work fine.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
I like the felt...because water can get behind the rubber and rot your wood.

If the felt gets wet, just remove the limb and let the felt dry as quickly as possible.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Play with the brace height and nock height. On my 52" my nock height is kind of high something like 3/4" . I shoot 3 under and that quieted it down.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
As cch said, work on brace height until you get it as quiet as you can first.  Sometimes there is that magic spot that needs to be found that will take away most of that noise.  Felt would be my pick also....what Ray said.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I agree with all the above.  I have two Golden Hawk Magnums, 52 inch, one is 65 @27 and one at 56 @27.    Both have felt and tuned with brace height and nock setting and are quiet.  Also have a newly acquired Nighthawk, 56 inch and 58 lbs that got the same treatment and is quiet also.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Toejammer,

I shoot one over two under... what bh range and nock height should I play with??  Right now it is set 8" on bh and nock height bare shafts straight.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
The brace height on both Golden Hawk Magnums are right at 7 and 3/8" with nocking point set at 1/2 inch above the nock.  I too shoot split finger, one above two below.  For me they shoot perfect...i.e. wood, GT carbons, Axis Full Metal Jacket Easton shafts.  The brace height is measured from the throat of t he grip to the string.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Oops.  Same with the Nighthawk.

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
PM SENT!
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
A good friend of mine shoots a 54@26 52" Nighthawk. He was having the same issue. We made a new 14 strand dacron string, wrapped the ends with wool yarn from the bottom of the loop down about 6" and put some wool puff silencers on it.  Raised the brace height to 7 3/4 and SILENCE...With a 9, 10 or 11 gpp arrow. We also put felt in the limb pockets. Before we put the felt on we cleaned the pocket with Acetone and put 4 coats of Tru Oil on so when they did get wet they had extra protection.  We hunted in some nasty rain this year and just removed the limbs at the end of the day to let them dry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©