3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove vs. Tab  (Read 355 times)

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove vs. Tab
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I've been shooting a super glove since I started with traditional. I've been thinking of trying a tab. I've heard some say you can get a cleaner release. I mainly bowhunt and shoot 3-D and I shoot 3 under. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Carl
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Onewldcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove vs. Tab
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I get a bad pinch on my ring finger tip when I release using a tab. Don't know why. That's why I'm shooting a glove. That's shooting a 62" bow w 26.5" draw length...
I like bows

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I also shoot 3 under.I tried a tab my fingers hurt could not get a good anchor point.went back to my glove.but it might work for you.give it a try.

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I don't shoot 3 under. But I like a tab the best. You probably don't want a can't pinch though that way you can keep your fingers together. Tabs are relatively cheep give one a try.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Carl,

I just recently (three months ago) switched to 3 under. I have a tab as well as a skookum glove.

It's hard to describe the differences to me, but I will try. The tab that I use is a Cavelier Elite, it requires a deep hook for me to use. I will say that the release seems to be slicker, with the tab going off of the string.

With the glove, I get a much better feel of the string on my fingers, because there isn't as much between the string and my fingers. I guess that is what makes me feel like I have better control......not sure that is a good thing, because a release shouldn't be made happen, it just should occur, when the site picture is right.

Actually, I usually take both with me, and on the days that my release isn't "feeling" quite right, I shoot the tab for a few rounds, and this sometimes corrects my "thinking to much".

I have an extra tab or two lying around here somewhere, and if you would like you can have one of them to give it a go. I don't want anything for it.....just PM me your mailing address and I will get it out to you.

Just consider it a Christmas gift, from one trad brother to another.

:campfire:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Woops........provided that you are a right handed shooter.   :knothead:  

Winterhawk1960

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
what winterhawk said, i feel the string better with a glove.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Winterhawk,

You are to kind. That's why I love this forum, because of the people who are on it. You don't know me from Adam and you are willing and ready to send me one of your tabs. I do appreciate it, but it won't be necessary. I can afford one if I decide to try one, besides my glove is about worn out and I need to get a new one so I'll just order a couple different tabs and try them out. Once again I greatly appreciate it. Please keep your tab as a backup or save a fellow shooters day when he/she forgets to bring their's to a shoot. Thanks, Carl
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Carl,

I'm serious as a heart attack, I have a tab here that I NEVER use. I got used to the deep hook of the Cavalier......I can't and don't use it.

Dag nab it.......just PM me your mailing address, and I will get this Black Widow tab in the mail to you the day after Christmas.

It will at least let you know, before investing in a more expensive one......if you like the "feel" or not.

Besides.......I have a backup, another Cavelier.    :bigsmyl:  

Winterhawk1960

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
tab or glove?  

subjective stuff, all will work, each of us need to find out what 'works', feels best for each of us.  

ain't nothing else matters or can be said, 'cept what you like best, and that's the subjective part.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cable Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
I fully support the idea that the way you shoot is like your own fingerprint.
...Exhale

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
I steadfastly refused to use a tab for 51 years of shooting bows, but as I read posts by folks here on TradGang and watched Fred Eichler shoot with his tab, I decided to give it a try. I got one of the Black Widow tabs and shot with it awhile. It was fine, but I didn't like the extra flaps that protect the insides of the first and second fingers when shooting split fingers like I do. I then ordered a few Bateman cordovan tabs and started shooting with them. I purposely refused to shoot with a glove for several months so I could give the tab a fair test. I have now shot extensively at targets and hunted with a tab, and I can say that I like it as well as a glove. The glove I like the best is the Damascus style with the nylon finger covers, like the Grizzly Leathers glove. I will probably keep shooting the tab because it is so easy to take on and off, and it can be worn over a thin liner glove if I need to. Both the nylon faced fingers on the glove and the cordovan tab give very slick releases, but I have to admit that the tab is a little slicker, maybe because the gloves have the enclosed finger ends that cause a slightly longer contact time with the string as it rolls off my fingers. I am happy shooting either and don't find one or the other to have much different effect on the quality of my shooting.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SMA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Can't use a tab. Get my stash caught in it then my eyes water and can't see where I hit. I'll have to stick to the glove.

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
i have always shot a glove, i tryed a tab the other day and after a few shots it was in the mail to a lucky tab shooter.... i think its all what you get used too....

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I like a tab for 3D and target and a glove for hunting.

Overall, I prefer the tab, but I seem to lose them when I'm hunting, so the glove it is for hunting.

Don

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't know which I like best,I've shot both on and off for many years-I think it's just what feels right for each person,which you have the most trust in-or how it does on finger pain,or lack of it-I would advise young or new archers to try both and give them a good test before settling on one or the other.Me-now I am in a tab phase of late I can't shoot as much as I like anymore and have to drop in poundage that may have something to do with my choice- lots of different choices here that's what makes it fun!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I shoot a tab but I like the glove because it always at the ready when hunting. Problem is I shoot the tab so much better. Like others a tab has a tendency to hide from me at times but to fix that I started making my own and now when shooting or hunting I carry several spare. Note always put a few doz. Shots through the tab before stashing it in your quiver.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©