3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string tracker ?  (Read 296 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
string tracker ?
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Do any of you use a string tracker for deer or other large game?  If so, have you ever had the string affect flight?  Do you use the 17# string or 30#? (I have been unable to find 30# string to buy).  Does the string break after a while or does it last pretty well as it's being spooled out pulled by a deer?  I've never used one because I theorized that it would affect flight, but am considering trying it for next year. This year, a friend of mine hit a nice buck (sounds like he hit it a bit far back) and it woulda been nice to have a string to follow since we found no blood at all, even at the hit site.  His arrow went all the way through so I think the string would have worked well in that case.  I have had similar problems when things don't go quite as planned on a shot.  It seems that $6 of string might be cheap insurance if it works OK.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string tracker ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I was thinking it might be nice to use for rabbits in the snow too.  Sure would help in finding those arrows...that is if I ever missed :^)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Hey Doug how are you doing? I have seen the string used for bear and in that case it worked really well. I have also seen it used for turkey by a few friends. I am not sure how it would hold up to an elk running through the timber though. I would hate to hike around with the string from the tracker to the arrow getting caught on sticks and what not. I think that if you are hunting from a stand type position that it would work great though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Here is a link to a recent thread that discusses the string trackers.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=082429
I like them for turkeys and pigs.  Not much for deer.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
wow, after reading that, it seems that maybe the string affects flight a bit too much.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
It does not affect my arrow flight at all at my hunting yardage--20 yds. and in.  Shoots right with my non-string tracker arrows.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
David, do you shoot the 17# or the 30# string.  Maybe the 30# affects arrow flight more.  I will shoot out to 30 yds. so I guess I need some assurance that my arrows will shoot well out to 30.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I use one and like it. I use the game tracker model, not sure of the string poundage.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I tagged along with a friend on a string tracking job earlier this year. Although he says it works flawlessly, and it did on the one I followed, I am still skeptical of having something affixed to my arrow. If you feel it would be beneficial give it a try, it might just save the day sometime.

Dusty

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Doug, I think mine has the 17# string, but to be honest, I have had it so long that I am not sure.  I plan to get another spool or two before my hog hunt in Feb. in Florida and will be getting the 17# line.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I have shot lots of pigs with the string tracker. It has, at times, worked great, and at oyther times not so great. I have never had a problem with the string affecting the flight. I have had bad hit animals take out "miles" of string and then break it off and me still not find them. I have also had pigs with little or no blood trail where the string led me right to it. All in all I think it is a good piece of equipment but is not a catch all, save all for finding every animal you shoot.

Bisch

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
the string tracker does cause a vertical deviation in my arrows as I commented iun the reference thread.  

The string tracker mounting bracket has a chart on the back of the package that show the vertical deviation.  the chart and the data i collected shooting the tracker with a AGF Safari sight were indetical.

rusty

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
I used one on a Bear hunt and it worked great, but I kept wanting to set the hook after the shot

:knothead:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Alright, thanks for all the input guys.  Guess I should just get one and play around with it to see for myself.  Does anyone know where to get the 30# string?

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »
I have a Game Tracker brand with a nearly new spool of 17lb in it.  I bought it for a bear hunt on Prince of Wales Is. and ended up not using it. I was uncomfortable with it.  My hunting partner used one and it led us right to his bear in some unbelievable pucker brush.  We may not have found the bear without it.  I would want to do some testing if your thinking about shots of over 20 yards.  This one has been sitting on a shelf for about 12 years but the string is still like new.  If you would like to try it pm an address and I will send it to you.  It's just a dust collector here.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Elknutz, PM sent

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I just wanted to update this for those interested.  Elknutz generously sent me his string tracker to try out and here's what I found with my setup shooting it today.  I shoot 620 gr. arrows, so I thought that the string would not affect flight with heavy arrows.  My shots flew the same @ 20 yds. but hit about 12" low @ 30 (shooting my normal gap).  I was also surprised at how loud it was (whirring sound as the string fed out of the spool).  Anyway, I may still try it on turkeys since my shots should be close.  Has anyone had a turkey "jump the string" (in more ways than one) from the added noise of a string tracker on the shot?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©