3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New guy  (Read 445 times)

Offline lbows

• Trad Bowhunter
New guy
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Hi guys new on here been reading and learning alot from everyone on here thought it was time to join in and I have some questions. How do shoot in the winter with a tab and not have your fingers freeze off, also I tend to baby my bows does it harm them to go from really cold into a warm house thanx.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Hey. I use a Damascus shooting glove. Then buy wool full fingered gloves and cut the tops out of the middle three. That way only those three freeze off. But I'm in NC and it doesn't get as cold here. I think they do make some fairly thick shooting gloves though.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Welcome the    :campfire: . I shoot with a tab during the warmer weather but, when it gets cold out, I shoot with a glove over the top of a thin camo glove. I've been out in single digit temps and came into the warm of the house and haven't had anything happen to any of my bows.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Welcome aboard. I keep a chemical handwarmer in my pocket. I still my hand in there when I'm not shooting. I usually just go bare handed with my tab. I have used fingerless gloves with the tab, but prefer to just use my pocket.

About the only thing that happens when I bring a bow in from the cold is some moisture condenses on it. I just towel it off and it's good to go.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang. I keep those pocket warmers handy all the time.  :)
"Just passing through"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
:campfire:  i live in the south so we don't have the temps like you.  i use fingerless gloves with a SAM tab.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Welcome I use a glomitt glove and my shooting glove fits inside nicely.   :wavey:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I too am fairly new to trad archery started in Feb. in the winter I shoot inside to work on form. When it warms up then I work on distances.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
welcome. I just wear my Damascus glove.I cant wear gloves while shooting.and put hand warmers in pockets.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Welcome!!
 I've never had an issue with cold weather affecting my bows after taking them in and out. The only weather I would worry about is if it's too hot and your bow is left in the car.

For warm hands, I use hand warmer packets inside a coat pocket. I shoot without a tab or glove and find that those stretchy kids gloves work great. I plan on cold fingers a little since most cold weather gloves are too bulky.   :knothead:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
I usually only wear a knit or fleece glove on my bow hand.  If it gets chilly, say in the teens    :p  or lower, I dig out a chemical warmer.. and dare I say it... a fleece muff...    :saywhat:  for my gloved string hand.

In a cold rain I sometimes put my string hand in a pocket.  Its ok but I forget its there until the deer is too close to pull it out and shoot..      :biglaugh:

Welcome to tradgang!  Not to stray off topic... you going to make it to the bunny stomp up in St. Johns?
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
Lightweight camo glove inside a 3Rivers superglove.  I tried a lightweight under or something camo glove this year and it is very warm for as light as it is; also a snug fit.  After spending 5 years in North Dakota,learned a chemical hand warmer inside a fleece muff works as well as anything for me when the temperatures drop to 42nd parallel cold.  Made me appreciate my "balmy" Nebraska winters.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
welcome  :) , follow the advice above ^^^
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
I have been in North Dakota my whole life, so as far as shooting in the cold, find a place indoors!! Hunting in the cold, u gotta do what u gotta do! Hand warmers are great!! Inside of a muff of some sort is the best option! I find a good glove to wear on my bow hand and my shooting hand I use a Big Shot glove and keep it in a muff with hand warmers. I have been out in temps as low as -35 degrees. As far as the bow, now problems with the cold temps. Just a little harder to pull with all the clothing on!

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Hand Warmers,light knit gloves and wherever you can find a warm place to put your fingers. I wrap mine in the bottom edge of my coat when I'm sitting and a pocket when I'm standing.

Offline lbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas going to try the hand warmers. Allegan archer I'm going to try will more than likely be a last minute thing, the way I shoot the bunnies will be pretty safe if they come my way.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I wear fleece gloves under my tab, and it works just fine. No need to use fingerless gloves or anything like that. Also, I keep hand warmers in my pockets. However, here in Georgia, it usually does not get so cold that I need particularly heavy gloves. If it did, I would probably need a plan B. If you do wear gloves with your tab, don't forget to practice while wearing the gloves, because it does change the feel of things.
Sam

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
One pair of thin cotton gloves with fingerless wool gloves over them and if its real cold I'll tie on my hand-muff. Here in Missouri ti can get cold but its been a few years since I've had to use the muff(global warmer and all!)...lol

I'm sorry I'm this late welcoming you to Tradgang but somehow I missed your arrival. Thanks for picking us as a place to join. Its always great to meet new folks. One can never tell when we might just be meeting the next "Howard Hill" or someone who really will re-invent the wheel. I hope you're a combination of both.

Pull up a seat, get yourself a hot cup of whatever you fancy most, put your feet up by the campfire and enjoy the journey with the rest of us.Welcome!!
God bless,Mudd

PS Please tell me what this means...lol

Originally posted by lbows:
Mudd your mental image has to be better than the real thing, trust me on this.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
:wavey:

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
cmon in have a seet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©