3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Noise and aluminum arrows ?  (Read 370 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Noise and aluminum arrows ?
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Ok well for the first time I had to get aluminum arrows.I am shooting a HH Tembo 70#@31 and now have XX75 2315 with  a 125 woodsman up front When I shot them today they sounded loader than when I would shoot wood that were lighter.Is it common for aluminum to be loader? and how can I quit it up. It's dead on accurate.   :confused:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline GINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Noise and aluminum arrows ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I find that using seal skin or calf hair shelf material quiets my shafts down to almost nothing. You're right about the noise, wood is a lot quieter. At 20 yds the deer don't care.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
That is a light arrow for a 70#@31 bow,is that your draw length?It probably weighs around 500 grs. or close to it.In my 65e28 Wesley(scales 69e28) I shoot a 2020 with 145 gr. and it is close to 600 grs.,and it is quiet.Aluminum can be alittle noiser on some bows,especially lighter weight aluminums.

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
I haven't found aluminum to be any different than carbons or wood with the rug rest on my bow. Aluminum is somewhat louder when it glances off trees though LOL

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
My guess is your overspined. Try some heavier field points and check the noise. Your also way too light on the arrow weight for that bow like JRY said.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
It it the bow that is loud or the arrows. I know I have stood to the side when my son shot his aluminum arrows and heard them make a metallic buzz in flight. I suspect he plucked the string, but wood or carbon won't make that noise.

If it's the bow that's noisy, then I would agree that the arrows are probably a little light.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
Those arrows are light ... unless your draw is like 28" on that bow.  If the aluminum buzzes in flight as 30coupe noted; the point is loose.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
I second you have a wrong matched arrow for your bow,this is the reason of the noise.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
What 30coupe said.

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
The only time my aluminum arrows seam loud to me is if the tip is loose. I put a little ivory bar soap on the the treads to keep them from loosening up.

Also do a google search for Stu Miller dynamic spine calculator, to make sure you are shoot the right arrows. (it is free)
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
according to the easton spine chart they are within the weigh.should I put more weight up front?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
I have never had good luck with the Easton charts with trad bows. Your Hill is also cut around 3/16" out from center. My guess is that you should be in the 2219 range at 31", and with around 175 or more up front that will put you close to 10gpp. That should go a long way towards quieting your bow. You can try more weight up front with the 2315's, but your still going to be too lite for that bow IMHO, but at least that will tell you which way to go with the spine.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Yep, too stiff and too light for a Hill.  They like heavy and a lighter spine.  I think you will find that you will be happier with an arrow spining around 60#.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
30coupe, the "buzzing" noise you got was from a loose point, not the arrow material itself.  It took me awhile to figure that out, but I discovered it when I had a camera set up at the target and was getting noise there.  A little string wax to keep the points tight elimated it.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Aluminum is all I shoot get the right spine and like George said a little string wax on tip thread and they fly dead quiet.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
They make that noise when they are bent a bit too, but then you get kind of a funky flight out of them as well. I know what you mean about the loose point noise. This was different, kinda hard to describe. The closest sound I can equate it to was when I used to work in a metal fabrication shop. When we'd put a large piece of 12 to 14 gauge sheet metal on the shear table, it sounded similar.

I think my son plucked the string enough to get the arrow to bang into the riser and the noise was the arrow trying to recover from that combined with paradox and the fletching fighting to straighten things out. The point was tight; I checked that when I picked his arrow up for him.

I wasn't hearing this from an arrow I shot. I was about 10 yards to the side of where he was shooting. I had him shoot the same arrow again and all I heard was a slight hiss from the feathers, so it wasn't an equipment problem. Still, I don't think you could get a similar sound from wood or carbon.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
My experience has been that with the proper spines and weights for a particular bow set up you will have noise if there is any type of vibration from the bow. Each arrow material has different harmonics produced with an applied vibration. Of the three shaft materials aluminum is the worst in that dept.
That being said, the sound can be reduced or eliminated by locating and subdueing the source of the vibration. Some bows may not be tillered properly, the string may sit in a tip groove slightly off, or may be oversized or especially undersized. Some string material/bow limb design or material combination may cause it.
A poor release with a torquing of the string or bow hand causes all kinds of issues with noise being a common one.Shooting glove or tab can cause it.
Aluminum is a great arrow material, but due to its composition it will amplify harmonics where wood will absorb it.
Find the source thru a process of elimination and you can shoot the metals just as well as any other.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I have found that the best way to silence loose points (if that's your prob) is to put a couple wraps of plumbers teflon tape on the threads. This not only stops the rattle, but prevents them from becoming loose.
  Larry

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
that is why I stopped using aluminum, from what I was taught, it is because aluminum is softer than carbon(in my case).  And since it is hollow the arrow correction makes more noise?  Dont know how much truth there is to that, my buddy shot aluminum for a while and with his bow he was quite as can be.  Anytime I shoot aluminium it is noise city!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Chris....that's pretty much B.S. 8^))).  I've shot aluminum arrows since 1967.  You have to have them tuned with the right spine, so they clear the bow riser without hitting it, and the points need to be tight...not unscrewing as soon as you let go of the string.

Carbons are hollow too....just don't have the metallic makeup.  My aluminums are as quiet as any other arrow I shoot.  It's nearly always a spine/tuning issue, not the material.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©