3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Those Mountain hunters question for you  (Read 412 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
Those Mountain hunters question for you
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
I'm hopefully going to tag along with some family elk hunting in CO this year and I am looking for a sleeping bag. Any suggestions? What rating?

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Those Mountain hunters question for you
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
I suggest that you get a canvas sleeping bag cover. That will not only keep you dry no matter what- it will improve the comfort of whatever sleeping bag you use.    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
Minimum 25 degree, would be my suggestion.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
Depend if you have a camp or a backcountry spike camp.In the first case you can use a very confortable sleeping bag rated for10-20 degree.In the second case you need the very best on the market rated from 0 to 20°.Remember that the pad is at least as important as the bag itself.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:00 AM »
Feliciano has it right. Really need more information before trying to make any kind of recommendation.
Base camp use near the truck or hiking use a few miles from the truck, tent or no tent, what weather, rain, snow, dry, want to use it other time of the year or just this trip... etc.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
Ideally for a camp; you would have a cot; a pad; a canvas sleeping bag cover; and a decent sleeping bag.

The sleeping bag; and the pad can roll up in a canvas sleeping bag cover; and strapped up and keeps everything dry.

I have spent nights in subzero temps in high quality sleeping bags; and your body will give off moisture; which will trap itself in sleeping bags.
 That I believe is because your cold; and have only your nose sticking out of the bag. In any case with just a sleeping bag in really cold situations; you need to get up and shake out the frozen moisture in it.

But the canvas sleeping bag cover; which was used by many many cowboys and trappers in the old west; well- it can be used all by itself in moderate temperatures. Its what you see tied behind the cantle of the saddle (the back of the seat). It provided not only warmth on cold nights; but it kept them dry.

The loose fit of the canvas sleeping bag covers allows your moisture to escape; and no ice crystals form. Because your warmer and not burying yourself in your sleeping bag. While sleeping in an snow cave - with a canvas sleeping bag; you stay warm and dry.

Yep they weigh something; and if your carrying camp; remember it works as a cover for your sleeping bag and pad; and clothes; and keeps them dry.  

I have a cover that has a flap for over your head. I have awakened on a rainy morning in a canvas wall tent and found a puddle of water on top of the sleeping bag cover- but I was totally dry.

I have spent many -30 nights in mine- in a wall tent; and in a snow cave.
  They last a lifetime; and are a good investment.
  google this: canvas sleeping bag covers
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
There is a very tempting Wiggy's in the classifieds.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I have a Wiggy's and it works great go to the website do what they suggest and buy a good pad to keep the cold ground away.

Dave
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Without doubt, mind that statement above about the pad.  It is that important.  

I find that there is such a thig as TOO warm a bag.  I don't believe I have ever actually zipped up my bag ( a great down bag from REI ).  It is too warm.  It is rated to -10 or -20 and I believe it.  If I were to do it over, I would chose another, slightly less capable bag.

As for whether it should be down or poly fill, or canvass covered. . .  all of that depends on how you intend to use it.  If you are camping within sight of the trail head, heavy doesn't matter.  If you are camping in a tent or camper, on cots  canvas or outer covers do not matter.  Get the picture ?   Match what your needs will be.    

I might suggest,  make a liner.  Take a flat sheet, fold it in half lengthwise and sew up the bottom and about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the open side.  Place that inside the bag first and sleep inside that.  That liner is MUCH easier to clean than the bag is.
ChuckC

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Putting packability aside a little bit by assuming you can take a larger size stuffed package here is what I would suggest.

Warm nights can ruin your sleep if all you have is a "warm" bag.

If you are hunting early season take two bags. One thin rectangle bag (mine is a 50 dollar synthetic with no canvas and NO cotton) that will be great for those nights when it only goes down into the 50's and perhaps even as warm as the 60's.

Have another, better quality, roomy mummy bag rated about 15*

If it gets colder use the lighter bag as an overthrow or an overbag giving you comfort into the zero range.

This way you will be comfortable over a very wide range of temps.

Both stuffed the package would be about the size of one large bag.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Wow great stuff fellas!  And to be honest I'm not sure what the conditions will be.  I just want something that will last and is well worth the investment.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I have several bags depnding on what I am going to do. They range from +40 to -30.
Like jhg said.
If you are hunting early season take two bags.

I have a rectangle bag that I use in camp. I also use blankets and sleep on top of my bage when it is warm enough.

Have a worm bag somewhere in the 0-15 range that you can swithch to if need be.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
If you buy a mummy-style bag, they are much more comfortable and much warmer if you use them as a blanket rather than zipping them up.

If you zip them up, because of the tight fit, you compress certain areas of the bag, and those areas get cold.

Far better to have a good pad below you, and just throw the bag over you and tuck your feet in to the foot area. Mucho warmer that way, and a lot less restrictive when you are sleeping. If it's really cold, you can zip up in a small polar-fellce bag liner (they weigh nothing) and then use the mummy bag as described above. Using them this way also eliminates the moisture problem.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
If you buy a mummy-style bag, they are much more comfortable and much warmer if you use them as a blanket rather than zipping them up.

If you zip them up, because of the tight fit, you compress certain areas of the bag, and those areas get cold.

Far better to have a good pad below you, and just throw the bag over you and tuck your feet in to the foot area. Mucho warmer that way, and a lot less restrictive when you are sleeping. If it's really cold, you can zip up in a small polar-fellce bag liner (they weigh nothing) and then use the mummy bag as described above. Using them this way also eliminates the moisture problem.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I just use a 38 foot 5th wheel.   :biglaugh:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Look at a new army sleeping bag shell made out of Goretex. They come with the 3 piece sleeping system.  They sell them seperately brand new at Army surplus stores.  I have slept in mine on the ground in a pouring rain.  I woke up in a shallow puddle that morning and was dry as a bone.  I carried one all over this big old world while serviing with the Army and it never let me down.  Light weight, weighs less than the canvas covers and breathes to let moisture out.  Only downside is it sounds like a small drum when the rain is pouring down on you while sleeping in one.  Carry a thermarest or foam pad to keep the bag off the rocks and it will last a really long time.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
If you are going in September to bow hunt, you will not need a heavy  bag. Night time temps vary according to the elevation. Typical at that time of year is mid 30s to low 40s night and 60s during the day at 9000 feet. Keep in mind unless you are sleeping outside, temps would be higher in a tent or camper.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I agree with Bill- unless you experience one of those "freak" events that happen every once in awhile. Be prepared.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
What type of hunting?  Bivying means carrying all your gear, and that means to me being very selective.

I tote a 40deg Marmot Pounder (16ozs).  I also carry a 8 oz liner that adds 15deg and also I carry a bit more clothes than some for backpack hunting.

I figure I can put on all my layers, use those emergency hot hands, keep the OR Advanced bivy sealed tight and put hot water in my Nalgene bottle in the bag for the "if or when" situations.

Also the extra layer makes those sunrise glassing in the wind setup more bearable.

For car camping it is just like any cold weather camping, and if getting dropped by horses I do the above for spiking out, and keep a heavy bag for the basecamp, the horses complain less than I do usually.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »
get a six pounder...mines eight and it roasts me like a chicken....i just unzip it a bit to cool down.get one thats rated for -10 or better if sleeping on the ground.can get mighty cold up in the colo rockies at night.remember one thing..you can never get one thats to hot as long as the zipper works but if you go too light then you have a problem.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©