3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BOW SCHOOL - Horne's Archery  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
BOW SCHOOL - Horne's Archery
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
I am returning to archery after an, almost, 38 year layoff. I knew I needed a compound because that's what everyone shoots. After about a week of practice I knew something wasn't quite right - I grew up with a recurve and although I appreciate the technology, compounds hold no charm with me, are mass-produced and I hold no reverence to them. I wanted something special and was hungry to do-it-myself. I studied bow kits, you know - the ones that come in the mail with an instruction sheet and no support - the ones that let you fail a few times before you get it right. I didn't have time for that. Surfing the 'net' one day I found "Tradgang" and saw an ad for a "bow school". This is exactly what I was looking for. When I called Horne’s Archery to get details I was greeted with a friendly voice and offered the courtesy of a visit to verify what I wanted. The very next weekend I visited Horne's Archery. Mark and Sandy were patient with me, answered every question, let me shoot the bows they make and impressed me as having on of the best products available today. I feel qualified to make this claim because in a period of about a month, I had purchased a total of 7 traditional bows, some of which, are from names (more common to me at the time) as the “big-boys” in custom traditional archery.  
It's Dec 21st as I write this - I hunted yesterday with the bow I built, under Mark Horne's tutelage,  a week previous. What I learned in 2 days could not be learned in months trying to do it myself.  I have a 50# bow that draws so smoothly,  you would need a scale to know that fact, if you shot it. Never mind that fact that it’s beautiful too! Being good at your craft does not necessarily qualify one to teach that craft to others. Not so with Mark Horne. He has the patience of “Jobe” and communicated clearly the “why & how” of every step in the process. Though I felt I was at the controls, Mark watched closely to keep me from stepping into the ‘quick-sand’ mistakes usually turn into. This project exceeded my expectations 2 fold, at least! Though I have not chronographed my arrows yet, I predict now that the arrows will only be a few fps slower that my compound – this is the hardest hitting traditional bow I have ever shot. I am not a ‘speed-freak’ anyway and will choose a slower, heavy arrow over a light, speedy one every time. If my bag target can be called a “gauge”, I am getting about the same penetration as my 62# PSE compound which, by the way, is for sale if you need one!
If you do not have the time and money to afford to fail trying to figure out and learn the nuances of the perfect bow, be it longbow, recurve or deflex/reflex, you owe it to yourself to contact Horne’s Archery to see if there is a fit for you in “bow school”. You will receive and instructional DVD to view (I recommend 2 or 3 times) before class. Access is easy as the area is served by Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport and/or Love Field for those of you who use Southwest airlines. Boyd Texas is an easy, approximately, 1 hour drive north and west of Dallas.  Dates for the 2010 classes are posted, hunting season is almost over so, do yourself a favor and register for the school. If you are not of the mind to build your bow, then order one and wait for the UPS truck to show up – you’ll be glad you did.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BOW SCHOOL - Horne's Archery
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
I have thought about building my own bow, but I lack the skill, tools, forms and patience so I didn't pursue it any further. My wife's youngest niece lives in Grapevine and she told me anytime I'm visting the area and need to a place to crash for a few nights, I'm always welcome. I'll have to look into this.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
You seem to be in the same place I was. I have to tell you, what you will learn, you can take away and keep with you forever. Later, if you have the desire to build a bow, you will have the knowledge and confidence to pull it off. You will know exactly what you are in for and can minimize the 'land-mines' you would, othersise, step on. Headquartering in Grapevine puts you about 30-40 minutes from Horne's Archery. The big bonus, for me anyway, was walking away with an outstanding bow, that makes me a netter archer than I have a right to be after such a long layoff. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd let you and the viewing public see for yourself. Hit Horne's Archery website, the 2010 school dates are posted I believe.

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Dan

Had a great time with you in the class.  Congratulations on the beautiful bow that you built.

Night Wing

These classes were designed for people just like you who have the interest in building their own bow.  We have had several students take our class and all have finished with  beautiful bows.  If you have questions about the school please feel free to give us a call at 940-433-3044.  Our current class schedule is on our website  www.hornesarchery.com

Mark

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Lets see some pictures, I am sure it looks great.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
OK, pictures are definately in order. Here is how my new bow started life. If I made any mistake, it was not bringing my camera on day 1. This is a 'before' image but (regretably) not my bow but, you get the idea - here is how a newly glued-up bow looks

Be prepared to get your hands and clothes dirty.

From a catapillar to a butterfly - here is how things looked at the beginning of day 2. At this point, I had maybe 8 man hours in the project and was amazed.

Mark Horne applies final finish after I autograph my master piece

Basking in the fading Texas sun at the end of day 2. The finish is still a bit tacky but, we have braced and tuned the bow and checked arrow flight. You will string the bow up several times during your project. The first time we checked weight, on day 1, it pulled 64# at 28". I set out to have a 50# bow at 28". Just before this picture was snapped, the bow checked exactly 50# at 28". I could tell you how we chased 14 pounds out of the limbs but then I'd have to 'kill-you'! Take the class and you'll learn this skill.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have. In addition, I will tell you all about mistakes I might have made. They were few and minor I am happy to say - forgetting my camera was the worst mistake!

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Dan,
   Wow, that is one beautiful piece of workmanship.
  Mark and Sandy are two of the nicest people you could hope to meet. You guys sure are putting alot of gray hair on Mark though!     :biglaugh:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
As on myself!! You are exactly right about Mark and Sandy. In this day and age meeting 'real' people is a joy and pleasure!

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
It looks great.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
That is soooooo cool, great job.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
I just spoke with Mark and Sandy.  I am enrolling for the 5/1- 5/2 course!  This should be a really fun and informative experience.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks Owlgrowler! I appreciate the kind words!

BUCKSTER - You are going to have a great time. Where will you be coming in from?
I'm also curious, if you don't mind, to know which bow you plan on building? No hard feelings if you'd rather not say.

Happy New Year!

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
That is nice!  I'm impressed, well done!  Eric.
  :clapper:

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Dan,

I'm coming from Benton, AR, just West of Little Rock.  I am going to build the TD longbow and upgrade the basic limbs to the Tonkin bamboo.  This will be a little faster and noticeably smoother bow, according to Mark.

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I upgraded to the bamboo limb cores as well. I plan to chrono my arrows just to see how many fps my arrows fly compared to my compound and other recurves. I have to tell you, this bow is fast. I imagine design, is mostly responsible for performance but, the bamboo should store a little more energy and allow for smoother draw. I know this, I do not regret my decision to upgrade to bamboo.  
I was practicing yesterday and decided to shoot my Assenheimer and an old Ben Pearson recurve after launching a dozen arrows out of my Horne. Explaining "dead-in-the-hand" to me, is like trying to explain what a rattle snake looks like to someone who's never seen one - it's hard to describe but, when they on their first rattler, they will know exactly what it is. I didn't know, exactly, what 'dead-in-the-hand' was until I "stepped on it". The Ben Pearson is down right offensive to shoot compared to either of the other bows - it's vibration and noise are so bad, I'll never head into the woods with it. So, did I compare and apple to an orange? The Pearson is a 58" 40# @ 28" recurve and I didn't know how bad it handled until I shot it yesterday. The vibration alone was numbing after 6 arrows. My Horne bow is a 60 inch, 50# deflex/reflex and the Assenheimer a 64" 46# recurve. It was a close tie between the 2 bows as far as "deadness" (if that's a word) and lack of noise. Both bows had flemish twist strings and were outfitted with string silencers. With the same carbon shafted arrows, I was getting 1 to 1.5" more penetration with my Horne bow and it's 4 extra pounds of pull weight. Later today, I will put the 56# limbs on the Assenheimer and do the comparison again. Stay tuned for the results!

Offline shortdraw55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I also went to Hornes school and built a bow before thanksgiving. Its All I shoot now very pleased with it, in fact im leaving today to hunt Couse deer in southern NM. First time I shot it in Marks shop touching arrows. Was a great time and will maybe get back up there for another bow next fall. will post pictures when I get to the house.    :clapper:

Online spotteddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
great story and a pretty bow

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Dan,

Your bow is just drop down georgeous and it appears that you did an awesome job!

As you may already be aware...Mark designed this take-down longbow especially for the classes and liked it so well this is his "go to" bow.  Excellent cast and overall shooting characteristics.  

I just hope I don't screw mine up, as I am not much of a wood worker.  :scared:

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Tater 2

Great to hear from you.  Can’t wait to hunt with you guys in February with 7th Age Bowhunting in West Texas.

Shortdraw 55

Good Luck on your Couse Deer Hunt.  Looking forward to pictures.

Buckster

Your class in on the books and the DVD will be going out in the mail on Monday.  Be sure and watch it at least 3 times, so to have all the stages set in your mind.

I will get the bow ready and it will be waiting for you.

Mark

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
The semi-scientific results are in. With 56# limbs on my Assenheimer, avergae penetration with my carbon shafted, 140 grain field tipped arrows was 5.5" at 12 yard in a "Hunter Extreme XL" bag target. The same arrows from my 50# Horne Custom Elite TD was and average of 5.125" a delta of approximately .375" with 6 pounds less in the limbs. What does it prove? Nothing really but it gives me the confidence to know that 6 lbs doesn't make an appreciable difference and my arrow speed out of the Horne is enough to expect predictable results. I didn't chrono today because it's raining but my educated guess is that arrow speed between these 2 bows will be negligable. I know I can hunt anything in North America with either bow but, the shorter 50#, 60" bow is easier for me to operate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©