3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BOW SCHOOL - Horne's Archery  (Read 1089 times)

Offline ronald morrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BOW SCHOOL - Horne's Archery
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
hey guys,Im still learning my way through trad gang.Pretty neet stuff in here.Dan when I come down Iwant to bring that custom I got off **** and post a picyure and see if anyone can identify it.I will need your computer savvy to ffigure out how to do that.Mark if you read this I want you to look at and see what you think.See ya soon
ron/whamo

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Dan,

Will be great to see you next week.

Ron,

Will be happy to look at your bow and tell you what I think.

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Now that the weather is improving here in N. TX I have more opportunity to practice and have now built my first batch of arrows in, well, many years. I am not sure if I was old enough to drive a car the last time I built arrows. I had an old fletching gig and feather burner, tapering tool and lost tips all the time but had fun. The arrows I built Sunday fly well and though my 50# limbs are adequate for my immediate needs, I think I want to build another set of limbs with a heavier pull for future needs - something like 55#, 58# incase I get to hunt where there are restrictions on the lighter pull weights. If I can squeeze in to the March class with Whamo, I'd like to make limbs out of the same material and configuration as what I have now. In addition, a 1 piece bow is in my future now that I have learned some of the competitions forbid the take downs. Who wants to get involved with organizing a hog hunt somewhere in TX? I lease 800 acres in Frio County and have other contacts near Breckenridge who might like a small group to help eradicate some pigs. Perhaps we Horne's Archery students can get together for this event. Anyone interested, chime in and we'll just see where this idea takes us.

Thanks!

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Dan,

We can fit you in the March class.  It will be great to spend the time with you again.

I think a Hog Hunt with bows from bow school would be a blast.  We can send a letter out to former students if you want to get something going.  Just let us know.

Mark & Sandy

Offline claysmokin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Hope any future hunt isn't just for the students who built longbows!  Just kidding guys. Mark also makes a mean (make that MEAN) set of recurve limbs for the kit bow.  I built mine with the recurve limbs and was able to kill the only thing I've drawn on with it....a squirrel. Anyone considering the class should know that Mark is great at keeping students out of trouble on the build. I had zero experience with woodworking, but still turned out a gorgeous bow that is an excellent performer. Mine pulls 52 pounds at 30 inches, and shoots my 630 grain arrows to a 49 yard point on.  I can't express the satisfaction that comes from having a hand in building your own bow, but I can recommend that you give Mark and Sandy a call if you have interest in doing so.

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Let's get any students, friends, guest and try this thing and see what happens. Let's just let the connection to Horne's Archery and traditional bowhunting be the catalyst that 'glues' us all together. I'm invisioning a day or weekend hunt at a place with lodging )hotel/motels) nearby if, lodging isn't available on our happy hunting grounds. We'd pack for a field lunch but perhaps could have evening meal as a group in a nearby restaurant. We could photo cronicle the hunt and post to Trad Gang. Who's in besides me, Mark and Sandy???

Offline claysmokin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Me and the bow school recurve are in.  I think this will be a load of fun.  Javies might make for some fun hunting too.
Burr Acres is your vision more of an outfitted type trip or more of a low key indivdual's lease/ranch hunt? If going guided we might keep the Hornes theme alive by visiting Curtis at 7th age. Any thoughts? And who else is in?

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Claysmokin - I am open to all options but my first thought was a low-key group of individuals getting together for a weekend event at a local (or somewhat local) ranch. Forgive my ignorance but someone will need to introduce me to Curtis at 7th Age as I have not had the pleasure and do not know what that connection brings to the table. Thank for responding - that's what we need to get this ball rolling!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Hi, I'm Curtis, cheif grunt in charge of 7th Age Bowhunting. Glad to make your acquaintance! I am always happy whenever I get the chance to team up with Mark and Sandy. Mark and I have already spoken about doing a bow class/hog hunt combined. We both agreed that it would be a great thing but trying to align our dates sometime prove difficult. I'd be happy to try and push some dates around and make it work though. Lets talk. CK

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Great to make your aquantance Chris - I'm Dan and would appreciate a chance to talk with you about a hunt. It appears, from the thread here, that we have enough interest to try to schedule something. Late Feb or any time in March/April (and beyond) works great for me. Thanks for your help with this!

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Mark,
You missed a good hunt with me and Randy last week.  We told many stories at your expense and you weren't there to defend yourself!  Nick and I are still planning a trip up for the bow build so leave a couple of spots open.  Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Just got off the phone with Mark. How would the end of March work? CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I leave in the morning for another 14 day run to West Texas. I'll be out of reach till I return. Whatever you guys work out with Mark works just fine with me. I've got bookings early in March and in April as well. Late March would work though. CK

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
Curtis and I have talked. Tentatively, we have dates in late March for a 3 day hog hunt near Crane. I will work with Mark and Sandy to finalize the plan but, for now, just know it would be a Thursday - Sunday hunt basically for $125/day - $375 total price. Once details are final (and they will be soon) I will post again.
Thanks!

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Dan,

Lets try to schedule a time this week.  It looks like we have 4 guys that want to go.  If anyone else is interested let us know so we can get you on the list.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking and think Friday is my best day if that works for you. If Friday doesn't work, how is your Saturday? We'd be happy to stop by.

Thanks \\\\

Dan

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Dan,

Mark is taking Jessie down to Uvalde to First Point Bowhunting to visit Mike and Nancy Palmer and for her date with Beau.  Wow another litter of Jack Russell puppies.  He is leaving in the morning and will be back late Friday night.  It looks like Saturday morning would be best for us.

Sandy

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
We'll call Saturday and see if a lunch meeting at Dos Chilies Grande is in order!!!

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Hey Gang - I cannot do a late March hunt so, accept my apology but if/when we can get something organized in April, I'm in! thanks

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Question about arrow wearing the strike plate - I have a tell tail line cut deep into my strike plate indicating my feather is digging in as it passes. The bow is a right-hand and the arrow are LW helical fletched, Shafts are Carbon extreme 150's cut to 28.5" with 100 grain inserts and 145 gr tips. Any ideas? Could the nock need to be rotated or the nock rest raised/lowered? Would 250's be too much spine?

Any advise is appreciated - thanks in advance!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©