3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Shafts For a Long Draw  (Read 193 times)

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Shafts For a Long Draw
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
First let me say - hats off to the administrators, moderators and people of this site.  I have been using and reading this site for several years (never had anything to say until now).  I first hear about it from Too Short who is a friend and customer of mine.  I was grilling him about arrow set up and he told me to go to this new site that had a bunch of very knowledgeable guys running it and keeping it civil.  I figured what the heck if a grumpy little guy like Paul likes it it must be alright.

Its more than alright.  Any question I have had up until now I could do a search and get it answered in spades by some of the most knowledgeable guys in the trad archery.

Here is the question I can't find the answer to:

I am looking for a carbon shaft for my 47@31 Morrison.  I have a legitimate 31 inch draw and need a 31.5 or better yet a 31.75 inch shaft.  Anything shorter and my broad head hits the riser.

What I am finding is 500 shafts are all 31 inches which is to short. With 400 shafts I have to dump so much weight up front to get them to bare shaft they end up way to heavy.  I don't want to start one of THOSE threads so please just trust me they are to heavy for what I am looking for.  I can add a compound bow thingie called a booster that screws in to the insert of my 500 shafts to get an extra 1/2 inch but, that just looks nasty.

I am looking at the Sitka shaft from Alaska bow hunting supply which they say has an unfinished shaft of 32.5.  Does anyone out there know if I cut them to 31.75 how much weight I would have to put up front to get them to tune and approximately how heavy of an arrow I would end up with.  It doesn't sound to me like you can weight these with weight tubes to fine tune your weight.  I realize that tuning isn't an exact science and I'm not looking for hard numbers just a ball park.

If any of you guys know of any other 500 carbon shafts that are 31.5 uncut I'm all ears.

This is the great thing about this site - I am sure one of you guys have been down this exact road before.

I am also posting this in the shooters forum.  If it doesn't fit please feel free to pull it from here or there.

thanks

Matt

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Shafts For a Long Draw
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Carbon Force Radial X weaves are 31.1/2 without an insert or a knock.Hope this helps.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Thanks - that helps a bunch

Matt

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
You could also try GT Entrada 400 Ultralights to start with.I believe they are 7.4 gpi to start with.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Look at the Easton Redline, I think Bob Gordon use to shoot those and he had a 32" draw.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
CE Heritage 150's are supposed to be well over 32" uncut, but I don't have one here to measure at the moment.  They are listed as .487 spine and 10 gpi at 32.75" length.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
that long power stroke puts a strain on those light arrows i have same problem keep lookin you will find the right one

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
The Arrow Dynamic Traditional Lites would be another good choice.  They come in Black and Wood Grain.  You can use the standard aluminum inserts or 100 grn Brass Inserts.  If you want to fine tune the wt even more you can use Gold Tip wt adapters which screw into the back of the insert.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I have 1 un-cut CX 150 and it is 32.875"

Eric

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys it looks like there are more options than I thought.

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©