3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full Metal Jackets  (Read 196 times)

Offline TA

• Trad Bowhunter
Full Metal Jackets
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Was wondering if anyone with a long draw has any experience with these. I'm shooting a Black Widow thats 52# @ 30in. Been shooting 2117's cut to 31in. with 125gr. up front.
 Never had a problem with the 2117's, just thinking about trying something new once our season is over.

Thanks TA

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full Metal Jackets
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I had these for my wheelie and IMO they are over rated and to expensive you can get the same quality for less.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
I love them and have 500's for a 55 lb r/d longbow.  My draw length is 30.25 inches.  I have heard a lot of wheelie guys saying they dont like them.  I love them!  I have shot 200 grain field points into rocks and rebar and turned the points into blunts without doing any damage to the arrow.  I just blew the nocks out, stick in a new nock and good to go!

Another nice thing is that they are skinny and slick finished which helps with penetration.  I will say that you will struggle to crack 20% foc on them.  I have mine tuned and they are full length with a 100 grain insert and 175 grain head and they are right at 20% FOC.  They are worth the money as far as I am concerned. Tough as nails for a trad bow.  As noted above, they are not cheap.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guys. The reason i'm asking is a friend of mine that shoots wheels, swears by them.

Thanks TA

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Use 500 FMJ's for my 50@28 Cari-Bow wolverine. I use a 100 grain brass insert up front plus a 100 grain Montec broadhead. They're good arrows, pull out of targets easy, penetrate well with the small diameter and have decent weight to them. I use gateway razor fletches at a 2 degree straight offset and they fly fine and are resistant to crosswinds.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I think you will end up with 400s.

Take a look here for some testing I did on FMJs:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060165

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I changed to FMJ's from aluminums and have found them to be very durable and hard hitting. Same as down south - 100 grain brass insert with your choice of broadhead and they pack a punch. I have shot a bunch of other stuff and think that the FMJ's are much more durable than the MFX, or other carbons available. The performance might depend on what you're shooting in terms of how the shelf is cut ( to or past center), but I really like them.
Is it September yet?!

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm of a diff opinion than others..not impressed w/ these shafts.
Shooting 500 fmj full length from my BW 57# @ 29.5.
Don't get me wrong...they shoot awesome outta my bow...just as well as my ST Axis 400, but not nearly as tough.  I shot 3 deer w/ the fmj's this year and broke 3 shafts.  They are just too brittle IMO because of the Alum wrap.  They wont take bending like the ST's will.
Have changed shafts in my quiver back to the ST Axis Nano 400's as I've found no tougher shaft.  Most of the ones in my quiver have killed multiple deer.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline TA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
I have found that the 2117's are as tough and versitile as any alum. shaft. Was thinking that if the FMJ was a major improvement over the 2117 I would try them in the off season.
 Think I'll stay with the 2117's for now.

Thanks for all the advise.
   Ta

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©