3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk hunting quiver  (Read 650 times)

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
elk hunting quiver
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
I have always used my cat quivers for hunting. Planning on elk this September, will be hunting out of a camp and also might not return every night. What kind of quiver do you elk hunters use? Do i need one on my bow or will my catquiver work good for the hunt as well as the moving in the rough timber and brush?
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk hunting quiver
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
For some reason I want to NOT use a bow quiver and have tried everything else out there.  I just cannot find anything better to use than the bow mounted quiver.  Especially for elk hunting.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
I use a bow quiver. I cant find anything better.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I hate bowquivers on longbows, but they're great on a recurve.

Having said that... you might consider what the small game opportunities are like in your elk area.
The presence of grouse usually dictates a bigger arrow supply.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I used a catquiver II several yrs out there and it works well. Gets thru the brush easy. Drawback is if you are wearing a pack also. I have since gone to a bowquiver. It works better for me than anything else.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I have had the excellect good fortune to go elk hunting in Idaho several times with Mike Westvang.  Mike grew up hunting elk in the Northwest.  

When tring to cut off elk, we would "dive" into and thru some very thick brush (bushes) that were 7 or 8 feet tall and thick as a hedge row.  I don't see how you could get thru them with anything but a side quiver.  That is what Mike and Jason used.  I followed their lead and was glad I did.

The other good thing about a side quiver was you could carry 2 or 3 grouse arrows   :)  .  Elk hunting can often break out into a grouse hunt.

If you have to hot foot it thru the huckleberries, avalanache bush, etc, it will test your arrow carry system to the max. It is gonna be real easy to leave some arrows in the bushes if you can't keep good control of your quiver   :)  

rusty

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
I hunt with a pack that will handle a quarter on the first trip out - which leaves me using a bow quiver. I use a variety of bow quivers holding at least 6 arrows. 4 broadheads and 2 judos.
Is it September yet?!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
You probably already know this, but what ever you choose, make sure it works well with your pack on.

I thought I 'd not like a bow quiver, but after one day loved it. It just becomes part of the bow. I hunt with a LB, so I guess I'm lucky that they are not a problem for me on them.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I used bow quivers for a number of years, but when elk hunting I often found myself in oak brush and extremely thick cover.  A bow quiver hung up often and I even lost a couple of arrows along the way.  Not only do I dislike losing arrows, it could also be downright dangerous.

I found my answer with a side quiver.  I first made one myself in the style of the GFA quiver sold by G Fred Asbell.  Last year I switched to the Safari Tuff quiver and have been with it ever since.  Either one work very well in heavy cover.

I carry the Safari Tuff quivers on my website below if you are interested in taking a look at them.  You can see Asbells by clicking his sponsor ad at the top of the page.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
How are they with a pack? I've wondered about that and really think they are a great concept but didn't dare try one owing to my always having a pack on.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I hate bowquivers on longbows, but they're great on a recurve.
Charlie

Might I ask why you feel that way, It seems a bow quiver, no matter what it is mounted on, would add similar characteristics to each.

Please elaborate Mr. Lamb if you would be so kind.

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I think Charlie means its Sacreligious to put a bowquiver on a longbow....I agree....I just can't picture Hill, Swinehardt or Schulz hunting with one...

Seriously....the longbow just seems the "simple" weapon that should be shot without anything hanging on it. out West, I use both the Catquiver 3.5 and bowquiver for Elk, Deer and for Antelope, I prefer the backquiver.

I don't hunt with my longbow out west...just my recurve....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I personally use a bow quiver for some of the reasons stated above, and have found that going through oak brush or thick cover is much easier for a bow mounted quiver than one on my back or at my side.  I tend to get a side quiver hung up way more often and it always seems in the way of a pack and of brush.

What I use is a Great Northern quiver with the bottom mounting brackett bent in such a way that it mounts to the side of the riser rather then the back of the limb.  This allows the arrows to sweep back within the "footprint" of the bows profile so that they are even more out of the way.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I used the Safari Tuff quiver this past season and I have to say, its pretty slick. The arrows and fletches are protected. Branches and brush don't smack against them or get tangled up as they do in a bow quiver. My first year I used a back quiver and hated it. Switched to a bow quiver and stuck with if for 14 years. Two years ago made my own side quiver with an old bow quiver I attached to a "possibles bag" but got sick of losing my judo points when they slipped out while I was walking around. Now I'm sold on the Safari-Tuff style quiver.

Offline Charlie Schweikert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
I hunt with a pack that I can haul out the first load of meat with.  I always pack along the essentials for staying out overnight.  Bow quiver has always worked best for me.  For me it's easier to get through brush with the pack on and bow/quiver in-hand than pack, bow, seperate quiver to tend to.  Between now and your elk hunt, do trial runs with different pack/bow/quiver set-ups in your home area and find what works best for YOU.  Would be a good "homework" assignment - would whet your appetite for the elk hunt!  Practice your bugling and cow calling on these forays and mystify the locals.

Take care  -  Charlie

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
To each his own but I really like my leather side quiver for everything from whitetails to elk.  (Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh page if the photo doesn't open)

[IMG]http://brothersofthebow.com/elkquiver.jpg[/IMG)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
Let me try that again:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Logsdon

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
Quiver caddy...works well with packs.

And it does'nt add to the neck strap clutter!

And is the easiest on/off quiver option out there, for when you are setting up to call, or just want to hang it by your side in a tree.  

A lot of successful elk hunters here been using it for decades now....through the thickest tangles, and in the widest open country.  Not perfect, but almost.  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
I had a catquiver; and in steep rocky country- man its dangerous!  Catquivers can have a real place in some hunting situations; I liked mine for treestand hunting for bears. Bears notice white nocks and fletching and having them hidden in the catquiver was a really neat trick.

But- wearing it while carrying in bait was a chore.

And for hunting elk- well.. if your on flat ground fine..but if your on scary ground - a catquiver is not your friend.

Try sitting down with one on.

Maybe if you shoot really short arrows you can- but you need the option of sitting down fast when the ground gives way; or you slip. And if the word 'slide-rock' means nothing to you - well here's some news: you don't want the option of rolling on your back; or sitting down not to exist.

A backpack is not the same issue; as it is not full of arrows - arrows which can break as your riding the rocks. I have been there ! I ended up with one arrow - an ash arrow with a rubber blunt. The rest of the quiver was full of carbon arrows with broadheads on them ( they are still there if you have a metal detector and the nerve)

Everything has its place; and a bow quiver or side quiver while elk hunting is my choice: after hunting here for 24 hunting seasons.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
I'm glad Mark chimed in on this one.  I have tried almost everything.  The Quiver Caddy is fantastic.  It goes through brush and protects your arrows better than anything I've used.  Not having another strap around my neck is really nice.  The different sizes of Kwikee quivers, 3, 4, 6 arrow, models gives you lots of choices.  Very fast on and off.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©