3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk hunting quiver  (Read 649 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk hunting quiver
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
For the county we bowhunt for elk it is hard to beat the Safari Tuff quivers.  They have the capacity necessary to carry both broadheads and grouse arrows and are quiet and lightweight.

I currently use an ussized stalker style quiver that Jason built for me.  I like the convience of my arrows being at hand without a lot of movement and the ablity to move the quiver around back for those "thick" moments.

I wear a Bison Gear pack that carries everything I need and expands to take that first meat load out.  It took a little time and experimenting but the quiver and pack now work together very well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Jake... Joe Skipp nailed down the big reason for me. It's about my romantic concept of what a longbow should look like.

There is a practical reason as well... and this is just my own take on things. Because the longbow is so physically light it's balance is more easily upset and that's important to me.

Since the recurves I prefer have plenty of mass weight they are less easily upset balance-wise.

I use to believe that any bow could be shot more reflexively accurately without a bowquiver. I still feel that way about longbows. Not so much about recurves.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by jhg:
How are they with a pack? I've wondered about that and really think they are a great concept but didn't dare try one owing to my always having a pack on.

Joshua
That is one of the slickest things with the Safari Tuff quiver.  The quiver kind of lays up alongside the pack and you don't even know it's there until you need it.  I've had people ask if they can be strapped to the pack, but honestly, you don't need to.  It lays very nicely along the side of the pack and is right at your side.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Use a bow quiver Sir, you will thank me later! Elk hunting in elk country is no place to have a side quiver or back quiver dangling around. Things can happen quick & you need your arrows right there in front of you at all times for quick action! This is not whitetail hunting!

I have taken many hunters out over the years & nothing but bow quivers is the answer for running & gunning style of elk hunting! I'm not interested in what's romantic or pretty, you need an efficient elk hunting tool at your disposal at all times as you will see, elk hunting for serious hunters is no stroll through the park! (grin) Have the right mindset & bow & arrows at the ready! If you do not, you will find that anything else can cost you precious moments & opportunities!
  If you are exclusively a treestand hunter then that is different! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I'll echo Whip's comments. I used a bow quiver until I bought a Safari Tuff from Whip. I now use the Safari Tuff combined with a skookum one arrow quiver on my bow. I actually attach the Safari Tuff to my Badlands SuperDay pack when I am hunting anywhere I may be moving (not a stand). I just remove the strap and used the straps on the pack to hold the quiver. It takes some fine tuning to get it just were you want it but mine is solidly anchored and allows me to access my arrows easily. This allows me to grab my bow and my pack and be ready to hunt. The main advantages to the Safari Tuff are: 1) your arrows are completely protected from the weather and othe elements which is a big advantage when elk hunting; and 2) your arrows are easily accesible but yet not flopping around like some side or hip quivers. No. 2 becomes very handy where we hunt elk as you typically find yourself running through the sticks to try and intercept the elk. I did add a little extra foam in the end to help cover my broadheads. I also find that you need at least 4 arrows to prevent the arrows from rattling when you run. I use the skookum one arrow quiver on my bow because it feels as though there is no quiver yet you always have quick acess to one arrow if you need it. For me, its the perfect combination. I tried to find a picture of my setup but, unfortunately, I don't have a good one of just the pack and quiver. These may give you some idea. Best of luck.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
Bow quivers vary a lot in size and weight, and shouldn't all be lumped together. You may not like a heavier bow quiver on your bow, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like a lighter weight 4 arrow bow quiver.  

There are bow quivers that will definitely alter how the bow shoots and require retuning the bow. Then there are those that won't change how it shoots, or won't change it sufficiently to where it's noticeable. I have tested (and had others to test in order to confirm) a number of other competitive quivers in trying to determine the extent to which they affect the performance of the bow. The weight of the bow quiver, how it fastens, distance from the limbs, and a variety of other things all come into play.

We get lots of responses from those who say our (EFA) quivers actually quieten their bows. Many of them say that they can't tell that it's on the bow.  

Again, don't put all bow quivers in the same catagory. There are those of you who want to shoot 6 or more arrows, and I don't think we'll ever make that quiver. However, when it comes to 3, 4, or 5 arrow quivers, we make them in more sizes, stitch styles, and colors then anyone else. We also make them in limb wrap, limb bolt, and side mount attachment systems.

Our motto is "Travel Light with Eagle's Flight".

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Intersting info.  Very interesting in how we all have preferences that we love while others hate them and vs versa. For example, I tried the hip thing and after two days swore I 'd sooner eat chicken liver and brussel sprouts than carry my darts again using one of those.

Joshua, not a C. liver and B. sprouts kind of guy.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Good observation Joshua!  It seems like the choice of a quiver draws even more passionate responses than the choice of bows sometimes!  Each person needs to find what works best FOR THEM.  There are pluses and minuses to every option available.  I think I like  the concept of GOKE's set up best of all  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
As I look back on past hunts where guys had anything other than quivers on their bows they had the toughest times getting an arrow back into the quiver easily & quickly. Some may feel this is a moot point but it's actually a deal breaker! Broadheads are razor sharp so you can't just handle an arrow by hand & shove it into a back , side or pack quiver effortlessly without undue risk of cutting yourself, it can be very dangerous when your eye cannot see what the hand is doing. The next thing you find is your hunting partner is always trying to put your loosed arrow back in for you.

These things are common place where setups take place & you have to re-postion for another & another & by god you'd better not even think of moving through the woods with a nocked arrow. It's tough enough to negotiate much of the country with just yourself than worrying about a 30" arrow hanging out in front of you or held by the opposite hand as you hustle to the next setup.
  Please seriously consider the bow quiver, it's your best friend during ones elk hunt!

ElkNut1

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I hunt with a bow quiver most,but have used a side and back quivers for a couple of years. For me I like the bow quiver the best mainly because I always have a pack on. But I think I use bow quiver mostly because its what I learned with so it feels better. I know many hunters that use cat style quivers with packs as well as back and side quivers. I think it just a prefence of what works for each hunter. In the back country I know I would rather have something that I am comfortable with then trying fumble for a arrow as a bull comes in silent and they do. I would try it with the set up you plan on taking and see if it works for you. Good luck

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Charlie, I understand now what you were meaning.  Especially the balance issue on such a light bow.    :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Elknut makes a very valid and valuable point. No pun intended. Moving with an exposed head is not a good idea. I will say that quietly putting arrows back into the Safari Tuff when it is strapped to my pack is not as easy as when it is hanging free. However, the skookum solves this problem as well. If I have an arrow out of my Safari Tuff, bull moves on and I need to move, I just stick the head in the cover along side the one already in my Skookum (it works for me with Grizzly or Muzzy two blade heads but may not work for all heads), hold the shaft to the bow with my hand while moving, and then out it comes again when I set up. Once the action stops, I can easily put the arrow back into my Safari Tuff when stealth is no longer needed.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I really like my cat quiver. I use the one that has the smallest pack just big enough for two bottles of water, knife, tag, extra tab, and four power bars with elk calls on the out side. My feathers are always dry and protected and out of site. With the addition of a single arrow holder on my bow Ive found thats works well for me.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
GOKE has a good idea in his setup. I think I'm gonna try the Safari Tuff and 1 arrow quiver idea. For years I used bow quivers and for me they always seem to make the arrow not fly the way I would like. I don't really like anything on my bow at all. Back quivers work well but can be a pain at times. ELKNUT also makes some very valid points as well. I'm now so sure that there is a "one set up" that works for all conditions. Although, I have not tried the plains quiver set-up as of yet. Alot of guys swear by that set-up.  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a bow quiver as much of the time I'm packing in to hunt and other quivers don't work as well for me.  I do like shooting a bow with out a quiver on it, however, and if you're not packing in a side quiver would be a good choice.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I just went to Whips web site and saw that safari tuff, looks good. Anybody know how well it holds arrows do they rattle when you run.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I have got both sizes of the Safari tuff quiver.  this is my pig hunting rig.  I hunt in about 1 square mile of very dense privet.  The quiver has proven to  be "TUFF" as green briar and privet can gets.  

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Just think about putting your quiver and arrows thru a square mile of this stuff.

Wingnut (Mike Westvang - Dryad bows) following a blood trail. Arrow in for ground.  Wingnut uses a leather side stalker.  I use one of my Safari Tuffs.  I like the fact that the Safari is deep enough to cover my arrows completely with the fletch cover on.  

What every works for ya.  but when the going gets real tuff.......it gets Safari Tuff  :)

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Oh and I forget to mention "Alder".  they will make your elk stroll interesting.  One time Mike and I were pushing thru some real tall real dense alders to get to a bugling elk.  We hit a tunnel and jumped on it.  I told Mike that this looked like one of my pig tunnels.  Without missing a beat Mike says no it a bear tunnel.  see his tracks. ?????????? I held my arrows a little closer to my chest.  :)   Not sure what good that did but maybe is was like a kids "security  blanket" LOL

rusty

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by elktalker:
I just went to Whips web site and saw that safari tuff, looks good. Anybody know how well it holds arrows do they rattle when you run.
No, if you have enough arrows in they don't rattle at all.  I usually carry 3 or 4 broadheads and a couple of judos.  Even with less than that I doubt they would rattle much since the broadhead is buried in foam and the feathers tend to hold the nock end apart, plus the design of the quiver tends to keep them in place.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©