3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk hunting quiver  (Read 648 times)

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk hunting quiver
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Elktalker,

What Whip said.  Here is a previous post where I have a pic of my Arrowmaster at the nock end.  You can see how the shafts stay spaced.  The somewhat flexible middle of the quiver will keep the shafts from moving around after they are inserted in the foam for your points.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=078169;p=1#000001
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I started out with one of the old Kwikee bow quivers that did not have a hood years ago and have owned most every bow, back and side quiver on the market since. Always went back to a bow quiver for the convenience and think they are the best all round quiver. Several years ago I discovered Great Northern bow quivers and used them exclusively. I was always looking for a lighter quiver and when Don Ward at Eagle Flight started making his I had to have one. I now have 4 of his quivers and think they are about the best there is. They add very little weight to a bow and hold the arrows very securely.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
I agree with elknut bow quiver all the way. I'm sure there are times when a side quiver or back quiver would do fine but all around the bow quiver fits more situations.

You already will have binos,calls,pack maybe gps etc; hanging off your neck or back to get hung up when your hiking or running from one setup to the next. You only have one free hand to hold or grap onto branches to move them out of your way or help you up the slope or over blowdowns etc. Why have the added worry or hassle of your quiver or arrows hanging up.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
This is what works for me, maps, snacks and torches are as accessable as my arrows too.

As for re loading an arrow I just feed them up backwards when in the field.

I found my 6 arrow kwiky quiver hung up in the thick stuff and was on the wrong side of my bow if I have to crawl.  Love the look of a bow quiver.

Like the look of the safari tuff too and will get one sometime.

Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I am making my own bigger version of a Glen St Charles style leather back quiver. Should fit a solid 9 or so arrows, but I am not done just yet. You can use it like a cat quiver but w/ my design should be stronger, more versatile, and bigger. I really am not fond of bow quivers as they change the balance of carry, are very limited w/ # of arrows, and my longbows simply don't shoot the same with them on. My curve seems to not mind them.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
It sometimes comes down to what you like and are proficient with. Just like bows! The bow quiver tends to be easier to master* (*arrows in and out), making it a good choice for many.  Personally, I look for a little more versatility and a method for getting the arrows off my bow.  I like to carry at least 6 arrows and they're pretty darn heavy, weighing in at 710 grains each.  That's a lot of weight to hang on my bow plus I don't like pushing that nest out in front of me each time I prepare to draw for game to pick up on.  After 40 years of playing with every quiver under the sun I finally came up with one that can be quickly removed for a final stalk, hung or strapped in/to a tree, attached to a pack, and easily maneuvered through the thickest brush.  I've used it from the brush jungle of south Texas to the elk backcountry.  It works well for me. I suggest using whatever you like and are proficient with in the terrain and conditions in which you hunt.

Gary Logsdon

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
What an awsome response. i highly respect each ones honesty and years of experience worth of opinions. i can honestly say i'm not sure how i will go just yet, but alot of valuable information to digest. Thanks, keepem comin.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©