3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Was Wondering...Experience  (Read 833 times)

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
Was Wondering...Experience
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
First I would like to say that this is a great forum and have learned so much from just reading the postings. I'm kinda new to this forum and have been reading for awhile and was curious, how much experience you guys have?  What I mean is...how many years have you been shooting Trad bows? Have you ever shot compund? and do you ever go back to the "training wheel" bow?  Just curious that's all!  Thanks!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Was Wondering...Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
I have only been shooting trad for about 6 years.  Stopped shooting my wheels about 5 yrs ago and sold it about 3 years ago.

Up to that point, I shot a compound.  Shot one since I could pull one, and shot competativly for a few years for Martin Bows.  Over all I shot a compound for approx 15 yrs or so.    

Not looking back now, really have no desire to.  Not that shooting a compound is not fun anymore, just not as fun as trad.  I will add...I would not be where I am with my form, knowledge, and all around trad knowledge and skill without this site.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
I only got into archery about 3 years ago shot a compound for one year and was introduced to trad and haven't looked back.  The trad bows blow my mind, how can a stick and string be so pretty and so unassuming, yet be deadly accurate and lethal!  It gets me excited just thinking about it...well got to go practice!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I have been shooting trad for 24+- years. I have always shot traditional really.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
I shot a compound for about 4 years, then I picked up a recurve on the cheap  at a GOB sale and took both bows to hunting camp that year I never used the compound and later gave it to my brother in law. have never been tempted by the dark side since.

Offline Near Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I have been shooting traditional bows for over 15 years.  Before that, I shot a compound for almost 20.  A few years ago, I did go back to "wheels" for a season after getting into a bad slump shooting-wise.  Although it was easier putting meat in the freezer, it was no where near as much fun as shooting recurves and longbows.  I really don't miss all the gear and gadgets!

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Started out shooting trad as a kid, then in my teen years I transitioned to wheels. Shot wheels until 5 years ago when I came back to trad. One day I just stepped back and took a long look at it. Then I sold ALL of my wheel stuff and didn't even have another bow yet, just knew I didn't want to hunt with wheels any more. I don't care if I ever kill anything, I just love the challenge, and the simplicity. I feel that no matter how long I shoot trad, it will never get boring, which is what my wheel bow had become.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
shot a compound for about 20 years went trad 8 years ago would not go back to wheel bows unless physicaly unable to shoot trad

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
I have only been shooting Trad for 5 years but I'm 31 and I have been shooting a bow for as long as I can remember, 3or 4 years old maybe.  I've been hunting since I was about 8 I think.  Been pretty forunate to live in an area where most people hunt and it's just common practice to get your younguns started early.  I don't think I would ever go back to a compound.  I was a ctually to the point that I was about to give up hunting all together until my uncle invited me to a trad shoot and one of his friends let me borrow a Bear Montana, which I ended up buying.  The rest as they say is history.

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
i started shooting compounds 17ish years ago and shot my dads recurve in between that until i just got my own trad bow. i'm not too sure i'll give up the compound, because i love shooting it as well as my recurve, but time will tell
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Started archery with a compound when I was about 11 or 12.  A couple of years later I went "wheelless" thanks to an older cousin and his friends.
That was 25 years and I have no intention of going back, this way is much more satisfying.

Eric.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Fifteen years or so with a compound.  Switched to trad two and half years ago and really enjoy it.  I like being able to do stuff myself.  I find it way more rewarding.  That being said, I still hunt with some compound friends with no trouble, but I don't use mine any more.  Got a nice, slightly used, Hoyt Intruder if anyone wants one.   ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Shot a compound for 27 years.  This is my 2nd year with trad.  I got 2 deer last year with my recurve and feel like I need a few more kills to really build my confidence in my abilities.  No plans on going back to the compound.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
I got a recurve for 6th or 7th birthday and shot that till I out grew it. then was side tracked with school and the Navy for a few years. shot a compound for the 1990 season and bought a used Tim Miegs longbow in early 1991, went a little crazy after that. Have made all my bow kills with trad gear and have had a blast for 19+ years.(alot more than that if you want to count my childhood, and I do). I do something with a bow everyday. or so it seems.
OH! and I love every minute of it. Have fun.
Happy New Year.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I started off in full high tech mode about 19 yrs ago, and got my first longbow 5 yrs after that.  I haven't even flirted with that other kind of bow for about 12 yrs. now, and incidentally, I still use that first longbow. You probably won't find too many guys toting around a 12 or 13 yr. old compound, thats one thing I really like about using trad equipment.
Molon labe

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I've been shooting for 34 years...started out with recurves...in the eighties I went to compounds, and like most, I found the let-off/speed combo exciting. Around 1990, I was shooting with Bruce Barrie for the first time, and was a little stunned to find that he shot a recurve...he let me shoot it, and it was like I was a kid again. I LOVED it. after that I went to Alaska for a few years guiding for Moose, Sheep, Bears, and that experience left me spiritually exhausted; took me ten years to hunt again...when I walked into an archery shop after that, I couldn't believe the new compounds, not to mention all the gadgetry that goes with them...I bought an RER LX, and Brothers and Sisters, I am back with a fury, and I wouldn't want a wheel bow if someone GAVE it to me.
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I've been in archery for 20 years.I started trad,went to wheels,then back to trad mainly but I still enjoy shooting wheels.Archery is archery.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Gumby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Like alot of hunters, started with a compound for about 6 years, and then fell in love with the trad gear. I have been hunting and shooting trad only for over 20yrs.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
They didn't have training wheels when I started. Probably haven't shot 10 arrows out of a wheel bow in my life. Just don't care for them myself. My youngest boy got frustrated with a recurve so I bought him some wheels. Just not for me.

When I can't pull the string to full draw anymore I'll probably just pick up a camera.

Now, if someone gave me a crossbow I'd incinerate it just so no one else could ever use it.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I started shooting when I was 5 with a hickory stick my brother whittled out for a bow. My uncle gave me a little red fiberglass bow when I was 6 and I never looked back. I shot a compound from 1977 til '80. I started shooting a Hill longbow in 1980 and have shot a longbow since. Every big game kill has been with a longbow
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©