3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground blind question  (Read 224 times)

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
ground blind question
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Recieved a comfort zone predator ground blind for xmas.I have a great family to be thankful for...My question is do you ever just carry these out and hunt or do you think that is a waste of time?I dont want to leave this blind out on this piece of property for fear of theft.I know it would be better if I could leave it out so the deer could get used to it but just wondered if anyone ever had much luck using a ground blind same day they put it out.The blind looks great it has the leafy cover all over it and it is roomy with lots of windows with the shoot thru mesh.Would be real easy to add some branches or grass to it as well for more camo.thank you Ricky

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground blind question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I hunt turkeys out of my blind and have had some really nice deer come by. Most of the deer did notice that there was something strange going on but they still passed within bow range. My set up is pretty open and I do take the blind home after each hunt.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
you would just have to try it. i leave mine out even though i didn't use it at all this year. depending on the cover around you it could be a non issue. like if you set up on a filed edge where your back in the edge line and hoping to shoot onto the field. never know what deer will and won't react to. give it a shot, and good luck
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
My experience is the same as thunder1.  I just set it up, taken a few turkey's out of it.  deer did seem to notice, but with the right wind, they came in past.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
At this time of year with temps low, it feels pretty good to be out of wind with protection from the elements it gives. I use pop ups like some people use tree stands, I buy a new one every year and put them up in key hunting areas before season and leave them or move them as needed.  I always keep one spare to set up as needed.  The one I will hunt from Friday morning is a Cabela's Lighting Blind (a favorite) and has been up since mid-September. I bring them all in after season, air them out and dry them, pull maintance and get ready for turkey season.
It is very important to know this, the land owner, my son and I are the only people who hunt this property, no danger of theft.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Thats what I am thinking with the colder weather being out of the elements would be nice.I have hunted mostly from a treestand but this property has a lot of deer using it right now and I don't have a stand up so gonna give it a shot with the blind.

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Brush it in as best you can. I attended a seminar by one of the Double Bull boys (Brooks Johnson) I Think and he said on deer the blind worked better on the edge of a field brushed in rather than in the woods. Turkey it doe's not matter.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
If you are going to the same place, have some brush cut and piled, pop itup and brushin, go hunting! I put a brand new pop up up this fall, first time, new smell, put a buddy in it 15 yds from a trail, 5 minutes before dark a doe walks up and beds down in front of it at 12 feet! MY buddy leans over and spine shoots her right there. It depends on the deer, how much hunting pressure and so on.
samuel koger

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
ive shot deer out of blind I put in the same day and ive had deer spook on blinds that have been set up for months...luck of the draw and depends on your deer herd.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Had a mule deer fawn stick it's head in and kiss me on the cheek. His mom wasn't too happy, but she offered several shots if I were interested.
 Larry

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by koger:
If you are going to the same place, have some brush cut and piled, pop itup and brushin, go hunting!  
I do the same thing.  Brush in a few areas  ahead of time (spring) and make a entry way and room for the pop up in the middle.  I take it up and down each time though but have cover and brush in the area so the deer are use to it.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©