3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison Limbs  (Read 389 times)

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison Limbs
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Trying out some Foam/Bl. Glass limbs.. R/c..
Are they AS FAST or..Slower than Foam/Carbon??
 Longerlasting ? More Resilient?? What? Should I keep them and hold out for f/c.. I NEED the
 collective Braintrust of Experience!!
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison Limbs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I have both Morrison foam/carbon and just foam glass both are some of the best limbs I have owned performance wise.I do think you gain a few FPS with the carbon but other than that quietness is pretty much the same and draw smoothness feels the same to me.I ordered another set of "A" carbon/foam recurve limbs last month I did the carbon mainly because I shoot low poundage and have a shorter draw so every little bit I gain helps.If I was shooting 55+ lbs and had a 28" or longer draw I would just go foam core at those specs you will be smokeing a arrow with out the carbon.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
I have about a 29" draw,  on 53# @ 28" limbs which
is about 56#@ 28"+-.. Was mainly worried about reliability... Know of a couple of foam/carbons that blew up.. I THINK--- I'll like the foam/Blackglass. Just not sure..  :bigsmyl:
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »
I have two pairs of Morrison LB Cheyenne limbs.
One is Foam the other Wood core, both pairs are super smooth drawing, and very quick, slight edge to the foam. I would be real shocked if the foam limbs ever give you a problem. These are Bob's premier limb. I paid over 700 for mine, better be the best.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Put them on a draw force curve. I'm betting foam or glass will measure the same. Smoothness is measurable and a function/result of limb shape. Less weight should mean more speed though; all things being equal of course. Carbon, done right, is lighter than glass, so should be faster as well, again, keeping all the variables equal. I heard the Korean Olympic archers are back to wood?  Not sure.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
The Draw force curve really only tells part of the story I think. I'll try and chrono them and let you know. As far as the Korean archers, they could probably win with solid fiberglass limbs, they are just that good. No one has such solid form throughout the entire team.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
I have/had several sets of morrison limbs cheyenne recurves,ILFs,Cheyenne longbow limbs,cheyenne Bamboo limbs. I have shot them all through my Chrony with the same a 540gr arrow my findings have been just what Bob said in order of speed bamboo the slowest,then foam, and then carbon/foam being the fastest. That said the bamboo limbs I had were world class limbs fast,quiet, and smooth draw so its really hard to pick a set of limbs from those three choices. As far as failures I haven't had any but if it worries you just go with the foam they will be great limbs when you get them.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm wrestling with the very question of bamboo or foam core myself.  I've a Cheyenne riser Bob built me that just fits beautifully.

Bob suggested that if I want the longbow limbs for the Cheyenne (I do) that he would solidly recommend the foam core to smooth out the draw since shoulder arthritis and back stuff keeps me at 50# or under at my 29" draw.

Cheyenne came with 54# "C" bamboo recurve limbs and I quit shooting them after shoulder surgery 6 years ago. Just not going to ever get back to 54#! Been shooting some used 48#@28" D recurve limbs.  I want longbow limbs big time...  :)

Course, Bob also finds the carbon-foam to be 3-4fps faster, which translates to more imparted energy, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

I'd be delighted to read more about anyone's findings on the Cheyenne longbow limbs in either bamboo under glass or foam core---or better yet, actual comparisons between them...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with those limbs.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I traded my A recurve limbs a few months back that were bamboo core new recurve style. I got in trade the foam carbon limbs and I am hear to tell you you would not believe the diff !!! Biggest diff for me was so much faster and so much quieter as if Bob's older limbs were not fast and quiet already. I picked up a solid 6fps faster and so quiet for a recurve ! If these are going to be limbs you plan on keeping go ahead and buy foam carbon and be done with it, they are worth it.... JMHO

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I have just a set of foam limbs,bob told me that the bigger advantage with carbon is more on longbow limbs.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
The one's I'm trying are foam/Black glass.. How do they rate---->> carbon/Foam?? I know carbon/foam are faster 3-6fps? But are foam/b.glass ??? More Dependable??  :confused:
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Dan,

Reading back over your concerns, it seems the stories you've heard about foam cores breaking down is stuck in your head...

And rightfully so for the $$. I've known Bob for several years. Not like some who buy/sell with him regularly, but we've shared many fires when he used to come to E. Shoots to peddle his bows. He's a genuine person of honor.

I'd call him. Tell him straight up what is bothering you and ask for his input. He's as straight a shooter as ever walked. I'd trust what he tells you.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I got the carbon foam longbow limbs on my Cheyenne.I had the foam longbow limbs before I got these.

I do like the carbons more by a bit.I think they shoot a little crisper.Possibly a little more stable on a marginal release with the stiffer properties of carbon being more resistant to torsional pressure.

The foam are very nice as well.both are very quiet.

I liked my foam limbed arapaho recurve limbs alot.Very impressed with the carbon foam recurve limbs on my cheyenne that are supremly fast limbs.

I have had good luck with the foam and foam/ carbon.Both are very quiet and shock free.

The carbon/foam cheyenne longbow limbs are one of my favorite setups.I got an A riser all phenolic with D limbs.I draw it 30 inches and its one of the smoothest pulling and shooting bows I ever had.It is quiet!

I believe black glass is gonna be tougher as far as  banging the limb on hard objects like concrete or steel.Especially the edges of the limb.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the help Guy's!! Was out shooting them yesterday trying to get a Feel for them! They are fast. Still wondering??? What am I Missing??  Can I be Happy w/ a Honda when I wanted a HARLEY!! LOL.  :biglaugh:
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that Bob uses glass on the belly of the carbon limbs which makes them much more durable. Usually when the carbon blows up it is on the belly of the limb.
I have three sets of ILF long bow, all carbon backed and foam cored with glass bellies. They are fantastic limbs and seem to be very durable. I had my lightest set on an old riser and they jumped the string (long story, the string loops were too big) and flew out of the riser, sliding 10 yards down a concrete floor at the range. They are just fine and have been shot at least 700 to 800 times since then. They don't really have any noticeable scratches except for one corner of one limb, that I just superglued. The concrete was smooth and finished indoor style though. I think the carbon foam limbs are very tough.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
OK Bob, where are you? Technical question here.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
just kinda hidin. keeps me out of trouble. What ther question???

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Spoke w/ Bob (Extremely Fine Gentleman) today. He allayed ALL my FEARS..  Made me understand that each Alien needs his own kind of spaceship  :notworthy:
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
So I take it you have a new set of limbs ordered?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©