3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tape Users- what sealer do you use?  (Read 140 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch Tape Users- what sealer do you use?
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I am a big fan of fletch tape, and have had good results with it. I've been using gasket laquer, which the tape sticks to great. I want to get away from using gasket laquer because when rubbing a shaft with a screwdriver or whatever to straighten, the gasket laquer sometimes will chip or peel off, which I hate.

I have used water poly as a top coat in the past, but had problems with feather slipping if the arrow gets layed down on a table or flat surface. The feathers would shift,a drop of glue on the ends didnt seem to matter.

My typical system has been stain, oil poly, crest, water poly, then gasket laquer. Steel wool between coats.

I just stained a new set, and an interested in using Danish oil, but not sure how well fletch tape would stick, or if its compatible with other finishes.  

If not this, can I get some other recommendations? I use the water poly after cresting as it doesnt smear my cresting. I use testors model paints for cresting, and have a ton of them in every color imaginable, so I prefer to stick with that.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tape Users- what sealer do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
AA, I too use fletch tape exclusively and really like it. I use Bohning for crown dip, Testors for cresting, and I also seal with Minwax water based sealer (in the blue can.)

Just curious what sort of "slipping" issues you are having. From time to time I seem to have the last 1/4" nearest the nock move somewhat but I have never had the entire feather "slip."

Once I started using the fletch tape I began running a knife along the "edge" of the feather once I remove the clamp to really "seat" the base of the feather on the shaft. This, and a spot of CA super glue, at both ends of the feather holds them in place.

I have been curious about other sealers so I will be anxious to see what others have to say.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
The slipping is the result of laying the arrow on a flat surface. The feathers will slip from say 120 degrees orientation to almost 180- flat with the surface. the whole feather does it, except the ends if they are glued. The tape slides on the arrow surface. Its not the tape coming loose from the quill of the feather. I do the same as you, I run the back edge of my knife along the tape to seat it to the quill before removing the red backing.

This problem seems to go away a few weeks after the arrows are fletched, perhaps as the adhesive on the tape cures into the finish.

It does not do it with the gasket laquer, but I do not like the way the GL can chip off when straightening arrows, hence my inquiry.

I've been using spray paint for crowning, which is a ton easier than dipping. No globs of paint on the end of the shaft, no bubbles, perfect crown every time. Lots more color options too.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Two or three coats of Pro Fin. I use tape all the time and have had no issues. Also I have not seen any chiping or cracking when streightening sealed shafts.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
u use the thunder bird sealer and it's tuff enuff for me if it chips when straiting you might want to try a hook type or even that ace roller they say it's suposed to help from cracking the seal

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I have the ace roller, and I also use a burnishing tool, its a polished round rod used for burnishing a burr on a scraper tool. Sometimes when straightening a shaft with a gasket laquer finish, the GL will crack or chip off. Its too brittle. Other than that, I love the stuff. Just looking for other ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©