3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 535 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Guys,
I'm totally frustrated and didn't even start to shoot my bow yet. Hope I'm not being a pain in the arse and some might be able to help me with some of the info I provide.

Several years back I was measured pulling what I thought was a lighter # bow. The Trad shop owner said your @ 28 1/4 in.(longbow). So I ordered a new recurve bow 59 @28 It was way two much weight for me and the bowyer agreed to make me another. This one came out to 53 @ 28. Well here's the skinny, I went to the same Trad shop yesterday and was measured with a #40 Red Wing Hunter recurve.

Found out my draw length is actually 30 in. (far side of shelf). All I can figure when I was first measured is I was not bringing the string to me (anchor). I had to be bending at the waist and moving my head to meet the string. Does this make any sense to you ? I'm surprised the owner didn't catch me doing this. The bow was probably a #50 longbow  and I was not coming to full draw..

I don't think I'll be pulling the whole 30 in with the #53 bow.  :knothead:  I'm fairly big 6' 290 guess I lack the upper body strength.

If and when I ever do pull the 30in what is the increase from a bow made @28 vs 30 in.

I think for now I might look for a older Bear or Red Wing Hunter to start with and sell or put the new bow on the back burner.

Any help or replies  is greatly appreciated.

THANKS,
Mike  :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
about 3# per inch more.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
I would think that the poundage of your 53# bow would be 59 @ 30" roughly, given the approximate 3 pounds per inch of draw rule.  I would definitely start out lighter and work yourself up to it because your form will be better and you will be more consistent/accurate with it, which will in turn build your confidence as you go along.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
You will measue a differant length with a Recirve than a longbow....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Mike,
I didn't know that. Thanks guys for the good info. Please keep it coming   :thumbsup:

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Treeyelpr, To explain a bit more, Mike's right and the reason for the difference is in two things--you usually have a smaller riser on the longbow front to back so when measuring the draw to the back of the grip it will be shorter, and also the hand position on the longbow will normally cause a lower wrist grip on the bow, i.e., heel of the hand more down on the bow.  That also makes the draw a bit shorter....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
THANKS DAVE    :thumbsup:

Offline Tom Uselding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Find a bow you can shoot comfortably.  This is a good time to spend money on a good used bow.  It's not all that hard to recondition your uppper body to enable you to handle your 53#@28/59#@30, but you want bow to shoot while that's happening.  My heaviest recurve is 57# and I'm an old, little guy.  Your a big guy, you can surely handle 2# more than me.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  Semper Fi - Tom

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I agree with trying to recondition your aging body.  I am doing the same.  I used to shoot a Martin Hatfield with 65 lb limbs drawing 32" in 1992.  Then I went Over the Road Truck Driving for over 10 years, Now I have trouble with 45 lb. I have a bad shoulder from Vietnam, but it did't bother me before.  I am just pretty far out of shape; so I'm going to change that some.  You should talk to a doctor about strength trainging to avoid injury.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©