3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie half scared to ask  (Read 476 times)

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie half scared to ask
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
I am trying to figure out where I can ask certain question on here so if this isn't the right place let me know.
This question is about arrow weight. I was told if your draw weight is 40# your arrow should be at least 400gr. 45# = 450gr. Is this right?

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie half scared to ask
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
Yes,most will agree.Although arrow matched to shoot very well from bow is most important.

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
Many answers to that question, all a matter of personal preferance. But most on here would agree that 10gr per # is a good starting point.

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Whoops, a little slow on that post.

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
10 gr per inch is a good start. I shoot around 11 gr. per inch. I would still bare shaft or paper tune my arrows. Most trad bow recommend 9-11 grains per inch of arrow.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Jerry, there is no "right" in this topic. Target shooters often like arrows with lower weight, hunters often like heavier arrows. Some bow makers recommend shooting an arrow of at least X grains per pound of draw to avoid damaging the bow. Experiment around and shoot what seems right to you. I like to shoot arrows from 10-15 grains per pound for hunting and stick to that for 3-D to keep in hunting practice.

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Browning, Don't be afraid to ask questions on Trad Gang. There are alot of wonderful folks more than willing to help answer questions or help solve problems.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
8 grain per pound is probably enough so that you would not hurt the bow.
Remember heavier arrows make the bow really quiet and hit hard in any animal. I was told years ago to think of this like the difference in throwing both a golf ball and ping pong ball into a snow bank.. Which will penetrate most?

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
See, that wasn't so hard!   ;)  
 Ask questions and have them answered - that's what makes this such a great place.  Plenty of knowledgeable people here and you will find an answer to just about anything you can think of.
  :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
The advice you got is sound. However, it should be considered a rule of thumb and not written in stone.

Most arrows when properly spined for your bow will fall into acceptable limits of weight.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Like Rufus said, don't be afraid to ask. If it is the wrong forum someone will help you get it to the right lace to get the best answers.
I would like to point out that as a general "rule of thumb" a 10gn per pound or bow weight is a good start. Most carbon arrows are listed as per INCH of arrow(as longbow55 mentioned his arrows are per inch). I tend to stick with the PER POUND formula as do most trad shooters. And that is when the 10gn/# comes from. BUT, as Others have said, work up an arrow that works great and you will be having fun. I shoot around 60#@30" and will have some carbons that weigh in at 475gn. that is about 8gn/# and with my arrow cut at 31" OR 32"(sometimes i will not cut them) that is about 14-15gn/INCH.  My hunting arrows are 31" long and weigh 750+gn. That is 24gn/INCH but only 12.5gn/#  Just try not to let people like me confuse you and work up your arrow to fly well. As a rule for hunting 10gn/# is a good start, as stated several times already. Good luck
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info. I found these Beeman carbon shafts at Bass Pro ( 9 for $30.00 ) so I grabbed them. Cut them the length I needed used 4" feathers and a 100 gr. tip they weigh 475.5 gr. They all seem to fly very well. I haven't tried shooting them with a broad head yet. Thinking about trying my 100 gr. Muzzy's. The reason for asking this question the bow I shoot now is 40# and the one I'm getting ready to set up is 49#. I was going to try using the same arrow's.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Browning, where in Missouri are you? I'm from the Branson area.

If you decide to use the BH's you like but need a bit more weight, you can get some "All Thread", which is a bit of rod that is threaded the whole length and cut what you need and screw in the other end of your insert until you get the weight you need. I know trying to describe this without pics is difficult. But if you need clarification we can figure something out.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
BadKarma, I am about 1 hour west of you. I live close to Cassville. With my job I come to Branson about once a month. I won't be back to work till February. Can you find all thread small enough to go in the shaft of the Beeman arrow? It's pretty small. I am also looking at trying some Gold Tips.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
If you check at Lowes or Home Despot, they should have it.

I have no experience with Beemans, but Gold Tips are very popular. I shoot Blackhawk CarbonWoods and am thinking about trying the Easton Trad Only carbons.

Cassville huh? I go to Roaring River once or twice a year to tangle with those monster trout.

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Man I was looking at profiles and there are allot of Missouri people on here. How cool is that?

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
And a lot of Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma nuts too.

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Lee you can have that place. I'm not much into the trout seen. Give me a river bank and some rolling carp to stick. But there are allot of deer around that park.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
That there is. I've been a flyfisherman since I was 6. If you like the carp stickin, you might try Bull Shoals over here by Forsyth, MO. Lotsa carp and gar when the waters right.

Offline Browning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I go through Forsyth on my way to Gainsville. I guess I will have to keep my bow in the truck when I'm working.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©