3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glue on weight for Talon Small Game Head  (Read 250 times)

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Glue on weight for Talon Small Game Head
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »
Hey all,

Things are going well with the screw in model of the Talon small game head.  On Tuesday I'm going to start with the glue in model.  I will only be able to make one weight at a time so what I need to know is what is the most popular weight to go with for the initial run?

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue on weight for Talon Small Game Head
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
wow!!! i just checked out your website!! that head looks incredible.. are the edges designed to be able to ley the head flat on a stone to sharpen them??

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Cool looking heads!  When will they be avail?

I would recommend making em in 125 glue in and 200 glue in.
If you offer a 125 glue in and a 200 glue in then, using various combos of 75/100/125 steel adapters, we can make all of the following finishd weights:

The high and low (200 and 325 finish weights) are not avail (via steel adapter) if the glue ins are offered in only 150,175.  To me, that makes 125 glue in and 200 glue in the most versatile choices

good luck

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I clicked on 150 gr, but 160 would be better.  There are glue on field points and many broadheads in that weight.  Not so with 150 gr.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I like the 150 range, they seem to work on several different weight arrows.  Gives some flexibility.
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I didnt think about wood.  With that in mind, I think 150 is your best bet if you are going to make just one size for now.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Hi Gaff,

Yes, the heads were designed so that you could sharpen them on a file or a stone.  I don't think it is absolutely necessary for real small critters, but it makes a difference with raccoons and nutrias.

Thanks all for your comments and votes.

Stan

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Great small game heads! I'm taking the 125gr. screw-ins out this weekend to central Oregon to shoot at whatever crosses my path!!! Hope to call a coyote in. But the snowshoes ought to be out too. If I am successful Stan I'll post the results. The 125gr screw-ins work for my CE 250's because I use 100gr. brass inserts in them for 225gr upfront. But for woodies the 150gr come the closest to my setup....160gr would be perfect. But we'll work with your decision.  :thumbsup:    Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Make sure to let us know when a glue on is available. I am going to do some bunny hunting in late Jan and the month of Feb. Would love to try some out. I am a member of the GORH planning committee for 2011 and we are going to be scouting some new areas. We need a larger area to hold the next GORH.

Any ideas when the glue ons will be ready?

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks David, good luck over East!

Brian, I am getting the first prototype back on Tuesday.  We'll see what grain weight they come in at and then modify to get the weight we're shooting for.

They'll be available as soon as I can afford to pay for them.  Minimum size run is 1000 heads, so I want to make sure I get the most popular weight before I give the machinist the go ahead.  Thanks,

Stan

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Stan, I think the 150 is what a lot of guys shoot. But if you went with the 125, those of us who shoot heavier could find a way to get the weight we wanted.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Stan, I voted for 150 because I shoot 160's and that was the closest. I will for sure try some when you get the first run in. Flint

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Looks like 150 or 160 so far, but I'll run this up for the evening crew as well.  Thanks for the input.

Stan

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
We'll shoot for 150 or 160.  I'll post a pic when I have them available.  Thanks again.

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Any word oon the status of the glue on heads? Our small game seasons are beginning to wind down here in Ohio. Would like to give them a try.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©