3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Setting up a chronograph  (Read 344 times)

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
Setting up a chronograph
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I got a chronograph for Xmas. I'm looking for help/advice on setting it up and using it. The actual assembly seems straight forward enough, but shooting through it gives me a very wide range of numbers. Is there an optimum distance to shoot from? Is closer ( 5 feet or less) better than farther (more than 15 feet)? Does height above the unit matter, as long as it is between the rods?

When it registers on both sensors and gives a reading what can cause it to be below 100 fps on one shot and over 180 on the next? I presume that the extremely low readings are due to the first sensor being triggered by the point of the arrow and the second sensor by some other part of the arrow.

Anyway, I'm looking for any advice. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setting up a chronograph
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Are you shooting indoors?  They make indoor kits that go on top of the guides that form the V above your sensors.  Indoor lighting or the lack of enough of it, will cause speed errors.  

The farther back from the unit, the lower your speed will be.  If you are looking for what speed your bow produces, 5' would be more appropriate.  Keeping your arrows inside the height of the V should give you good readings in proper light.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Indoors and bright sunlight both can have an effect on them. They seem to work best outdoors on cloudy days. Like Ray_G said for indoors you can get a lighting kit for it.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I use mine all the time indoors, with the indoor lighting set up. I stand back about a arrow length, works great, have had it for little more than two years. I also have used it out doors with the sun sheilds that came with it, early mornings or cloudy days.
Larry

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I shoot through mine roughly from 2-3 ft.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Use the light kit inside, and also turn off any florescent lights. Bright sun can also give strange readings.
 Eratic readings can come from several things ,a very weak or stiff arrow that is not going straight, or if you shoot crooked thru it.
 Weak battry's also cause grief, so a plug in is better.
 The consistant area should be about 4" directly above the traps.
 There are tutorials on line for setting them up,lighting etc, just google it.
 Many often find they vary up to 20 fps when shooting. A chrono is a great teaching aid for a clean consistant release.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I use mine outdoors, In bright, but not in direct sunlight. A consistent release is the biggest variable in inconsistent readings. (for me anyway).

Good Luck

MM
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I shoot mine in the basement directly under a regular incandesant lightbulb. I stand back like most at 5' and let her fly.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
If it's the "Shooting Chrony" brand, I've seen the same thing happen sometimes with those. Don't know why but some of them seem to give erratic readings. My guess is it's the lighting. You should be getting variations of 3-5 fps at the most between shots, unless you're using different weight arrows or short drawing/over drawing your bow just before release.

I have a Kintronic ProChrono chronograph and have used it for many years. It runs on a 9 volt battery and works with firearms and bows. But, it is somewhat sensitive to the light. It likes cloudy days or shade and is very consistent with it's readings when used in those conditions. I stand back about 3 feet or so. Don't get too far back, or you could very easily shoot your chronograph! I've seen the results of that, and it ain't purty!    :scared:    :eek:    :smileystooges:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©