3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guru Scores!  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guru Scores!
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I've eaten plenty of boars....just not the rank ones....they stink, and the meat stinks, and will run you out of the kitchen.  Most boars are pretty good up to 100 - 125 pounds,...then I get all sausage save back straps if they are over that.  Sows are good usually no matter the size and I get them processed like a deer,..ham sliced, pork chops, and sausage etc....  But rank is rank and nothing you can do about that.

I've also killed hogs and deer that didn't 'look' right....and I didn't eat them either.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
....Coffee was done, it was time for us to go hunting. But that also meant it was time to say goodbye to Biggie...

Like I said earlier, it's never easy for me to say goodbye after sharing an experience like this....

This time was no different...I did my best to hold back tears...and off the Biggster went.....

Marty and I bundled up, got on the buggy and headed out....

I chose to go back to the stand that I'd stalked the hogs at last night. I really wanted to see if that big, brown sow would show this morning.

The wind would be kinda marginal, but it was ok when I got there and I just hoped it would hold long enough to have a chance at something....

7:04 the feeder went off....7:20 there were hogs at the feeder.....
•    

The only problem with this stand was that it was set a little too far to comfortably shoot. So they had to be "chummed up" closer....these 4 stayed under the feeder cleaning up what was there. But then a 5th hog showed up and fed within 15yds of me for 15 minutes while the others were at the feeder.  But as I waited and waited, he just wouldn't turn broadside. He fed head-on the whole time.

Then the wind shifted....and I was all alone.....

Since the wind was so shifty, I decided to get down and sneak around a bit.  I did hear some hogs in the thick stuff, but couldn't do anything with them. I also saw a deer cross one of the roads about 400yds in front of me.

When I got back to my stand, Marty was there waiting for me....back to camp...the last buggy ride.......

We went to check on the dump site to see if we'd got any trail cam pix. When we pulled up, we just caught the back end of something sneaking off low to the ground. We just knew we were going to have some great pix!  Everything had been totally re-arranged.Something had spend a lot of time there...but.....

But for whatever reason, we didn't get a single pix of what had been there. It had taken pix, but none of what had moved everything around. Couldn't figure that one out....

•    

•    

•    

We re-set the camera, and did a little more pruning.....
•    

As you could see from Marty's last post...he got great pix this time...Very cool!

I gotta admit, as excited as I was about what I'd just experienced the last 4 days, I was saddened by the fact that the hardest goodbye was still ahead of me....Marty "The Man" McMahon.....

I'm getting "teary" as I type right now...

This time I couldn't hold back the emotion and tears...this was a tuff one for me....But I made it through the goodbye....it was over...

I'll never be able to thank you enough for the invite my friend.   You've filled my heart and mind with memories can never be taken away.....Thank you......

•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Curt thanks for sharing it seems like it was a one of a kind irreplaceable experience!
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Curt man what an amazing adventure. You had an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing it with us. You are a great man and I am sure that the goodbyes were hard all around.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Man what a great read!

You did good man.. The whole lot of ya!

Thanks,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Thank you all for this thread. It kind of made me feel all warm inside as I thought about you in Florida while sitting in my deer-stands over the weekend with -5 temperatures and 21 below wind chills. Ha!  Mike

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks Biggie, and Terry,

So a rank hog is easily identified by it smell? Lots of good stuff here!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Curt thanks for taking us along, this has been a great read. Thanks again bud.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Cool, Curt.  Thanks for taking us along on your unforgettable memories.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Very nice Curt! A great start to this year! Congrats! A great hunt with great folks, doesn't get any better.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Awesome posts Curt, thanks for sharing!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Gotta say Curt, this has been about the best darned huntin' story thread I've seen since I've been on tradgang.

Thanks!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Great thread! Always enjoy your story telling and pic's....I may have said this before but you take the best pic's. Seems I always have a camera but it never comes out unless something gets killed or a pic of the group as we leave. Will be taking more pic's on future hunts. Marty and Biggie sound like a couple fine fellows to share a campfire with!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Guru, you write one helluva story!!

If I was to tell it - it would go like this:

This guy Guru came down- a typical New Yorker. I put him in a couple stands, he shot some hogs, and he seemed to be an alright guy. Me and Biggie talked about the next time we were gonna hunt. Probably the following weekend. When the dude left he musta got something in his eyes cause they was teared up. Maybe he'll come back.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
If I wrote it it would say:

We got there in time for supper. Deer burgers and slaw. I had two, the little guy from NY only had one. Wuss.
Breakfast the next day was venison sausage, eggs and biscuits. The NYer didn't know to cover his biscuits with gravy.
Lunch was good but supper was better. Beef steaks and salad with Vidalia onion dressing MMMMMMMMMM......I told the guest "DO NOT GUTSHOOT ONE ON STEAKNIGHT"
Breakfast was late the next day cause Guru shot a hog. Jeez.......
Grilled chicken breasts and thighs for supper. Dang Marty knows his way around the kitchen. Guru skipped the breasts and ate thighs!!!! Are you kidding me??? I ate 4 breasts and Marty ate 3!  I think maybe Guru was just being polite by leaving the breasts.....he can come back  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Wow, That sure would'a been a lot easier       :readit:  

I can feel the luv though   :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Biggie- should we send Uncle Gene some venison? He couldn't kill a deer this year. Even Guru coulda killed a deer with us and was too... to get a license.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
To Funny  :biglaugh:  

T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
If Curt woulda told it like guys he coulda put more pic's....of you guys eating...LOL
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Biggie, a man after my own belly!  I like the way he thinks! Got any photos of the steaks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©