3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D97 or TS Plus String  (Read 368 times)

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
D97 or TS Plus String
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Don't know much about string mat. but am in need of a new one (string). Of these two materials which one would make the quietest shot.D97 or TS Plus?                                     Flemish string for my  longbow.
Thanks for any info.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D97 or TS Plus String
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with TS Plus, but I have an 8 strand padded loop D97 string on my Kanati and it's very quiet. The one I have on it now is a continuous loop string rather than Flemish twist. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the two, but CL strings are easier to build without my hands cramping up...the price of too many dislocated knuckles during my misbegotten youth    "[dntthnk]"  

You might get by with a six strand with a 42# bow, but I found they creep more than eight, so that is what I am staying with. The string that came on your Kanati was a D97, but I think they are overbuilt for our lighter weight bows. The eight strand is MUCH quieter.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
there will be people here with a better opinion than me.

from what i can tell each bow reacts differently to the string material. saying D97 is always quieter is wrong....same goes for TS Plus.

i just got a couple 6 strand padded loop TS Plus strings to try on two longbows and two recurves. all four shoot quieter than before and i also got more performance.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
I like D97,it is a great string material in my opinion and use it alot.I feel it is quiter then my old type FF.Haven't had much experience with TS Plus.I do make some strings with 450+,it makes a good solid string too.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Use 8125. Each strand can handle 12.2# of draw weight so a 4strand could handle 48.8# of draw weight.  That would work very well for a 42# bow.  8125 doesn't creep like D-97 and TS+.  D-97 would work too but TS+ creeps and stretches too much.  8125 will stretch for the first couple shots and then settle.  8125 is a very quiet material even more so at 4strands.  The bow will be slightly quieter with this material but not a lot until you retune because of the extra power the bow has available.  The extra power messes up your spine weight, brace height, etc but when you retune the bow it will be several times quieter.  Then just add the silencers of your choice.

The reason a lot of people think bows are louder with fastflight than b-50 is because they tune their bows to b-50 and when they shoot fastflight the tuning is messed up.  The messed up tuning makes the bow louder.  The same would happen if you tune your bow to fastflight and switch to b-50.  So if you change to a 4strand 8125 or other fastflight make sure to retune the bow before you decide if the bow is too loud.  

If your making your own string and make it 4strands of 8125, pad the loops to 14-16strands and use a long neck taper.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
I have found ts plus to be real quiet but I shot mine out real quick and it started to get loud.  I have had the best luck with 14 strands of d97 with standard loops or 10 strands of d97 with padded loops.  Ymmv, every bow is different.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I have gone to 10 strand TS-plus strings and like them a lot but as noted, they will creep for a while until they settle in. After that they are very quiet and decent strings. With that said I think I'd like to try 8125 if it creeps less. Just got a new bow that came with 8125 string and there was very little change in brace height as I shot in the string. Set it at 8.5 inches and it settled at 8.25 inches and has stayed there. This happened after only 20 or so shots. I liked that a lot!

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Bruce my experience with 8125 is exactly the same.  I highly recommend using it for any bow.  A skinny padded 8125 can be used on pretty much any bow and it makes them preform better by reducing noise, reducing handshock, increasing speed, etc.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks for that info Jesse. I'll peruse the vendors to see who sells it. Deer season ends tomorrow and it's time to get in the shop and diddle with bows and arrows and strings!

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
B.C.Y. simply the Best your choice d97 8125 or 450t=t or 452x all very good !
Gord

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
The serving is the  part of string building to consider.The lighter the serving area of a string the better results.
I've done the low strand #'s and paddes loops thing and for me,not worth the wear and tear on fingers along w/ arro knock fit.14 strands of either w/ light weight serving(Crown .26 for about 6'') will give you the same results in performance and have better finger to string feel w/ better arro knock fit.

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Has anybody tried double serving to get the right diameter serving on these "skinny" strings for a proper nock fit?

These interest me, but I worry about the serving slipping if I just build it up w/ extra strands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©