3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ProFin  (Read 703 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
ProFin
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this product as an arrow finish?  Do you use a dip tube like Bohning products?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ProFin
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Jeff,

Excellent arrow finish.  I dip mine (no gasket squeegee), let it run off for a few seconds and hang to dry.  Light steel wool between coats.  It does not dry fast like gasket lacquer - I let mine dry at least eight hours in Summer weather.  Temp and humidity will dictate how long.  Maybe Snag will chime in as he has a lot of experience with it.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Have used it the same way Ray does. It is a great finish, I have done 200 Dozen arrows with it.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
So you are using a dip tube just like bohning?  Then hanging to dry between coats.  How many coats do you use?

Where can I buy this finish?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Hi Ray, I do just like you do. I can even dip in colder temps as long as I let it dry for at least 8hrs. The finish is great and holds up as target burn pretty well. Love this stuff. The consistancy is perfect for just letting it run off.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
cannot thank snag enough for turning me on to Daly's Profin. Simply an awesome product and I can find no fault in it !

I made me a 1" PVC dip tube about 34" long with an adaptor on top that bumps it up to 2" diameter. That way as I dip the arrow down and start displacing material it has room to expand into the 2" part and not run over the top. It also gives me finger room and the ability to see exactly where I am dipping and can get right to the nock. Could have just bought a big dipper from 3 rivers but had the PVC laying around.

As snag also said I wait at least 8-10hrs or more between coats and lightly sand with 320 grit between coats for good adhesion between coats of Profin. When finished I just tilt my tube up and let it run back in the quart can. Hardley any waste as 99% will run back in the can. As I use this product if it starts to thicken up I can add a touch of mineral spirits to keep it running like new. Probably will not have to thin it until I am down close to the end of the quart. I dip four coats and get little to no target burn. Thanks again snag !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Just passing it along....glad to help. Fun stuff!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Woops..... forgot to also tell you the other great thing about Daly's Profin.... Use $1 a tube Duco for nocks and feathers from Family Dollar Store. The duco " melts " down into the Profin and you cannot even see the duco when you are thru fletching.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Three coats
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Where can you purchase profin?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
You can get ProFin from Bob Burton at Whispering Wind Arrows, I am sure others places sell it though. Flint

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
dragonheart, you lucky dog ! If I remember right there is a distributor for Dalys in TX, cannot remember what city ? I had to order my satin Profin from Daly's direct. It was $17 + $17 for hazmat shipping from Dalys to TN for me. Go to Daly's website or call them and they will fix ya up.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
OK, i am going to give this a try.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
DO NOT try to put Bohning paints over top of ProFin unless you want a crinkle effect paint job. You can use ProFin over Bohning though.

I dip one coat of Bohning Clear to give a good base for my crown dips and crest. Dip my colors with Bohning, crest with Bohning, and then cover with 2 coats of Profin.

If you use a white crown dip, Profin will turn it slightly yellow. When I crown with white, I will dip the first coat of Profin from the point end, then dip second coat from the nock end to minimize yellowing.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
How is ProFin for waterproofing the shaft? That's one of the biggest objections I see to gasket lacquer is the claim that it's useless in wet climates.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
ProFin is supposed to be a very good moisture barrier. I know it holds up much better than GL. I once lost 2 arrows at one target at a shoot. There was snow on the ground so I didnt find them til the next shoot several weeks later. One had GL and was peeling badly. The other was ProFin and in fine shape. ProFin is oil based if I am not mistaken.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I have lost arrows at a shoot and have found them in a lost arrow bucket in one case 2 years later. The arrow was sealed in Pro-Fin. Don't know how long the arrow was in the weather but by the looks of it, it was a while. I inspected the arrow, refletched and had no issues. That arrow and the few others held up well. Pro-Fin on woods always.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I stain with Minwax, then crown dip with Rustoleum, then crest with waterbased paint (I like the paint Whispering Winds sell), then I dip in Profin...no problems with running paint or yellowing. When I used to use Spar Urethane over time the white paint would yellow...NOT with Profin.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Snag,

You are using spray paint to crown dip?  Then you can use the profin over that?  Is that correct.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I also spray the crown. Then crest and finaly dip in the Pro-Fin. Absolutly no issues.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©