3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sting Material Education  (Read 288 times)

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
Sting Material Education
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Built some strings long ago when B50 was about the only option.  Can you guys educate me on all these different string materials and the pros and cons of each?
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Sting Material Education
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Most modern bows can handle HMPE (High Modulus PolyEthylene) string fibers (trade names such as Vectran, Dyneema, Spectra).  Most older "vintage" bows are best to use nothing more "modern" than Dacron (B50 or B500).  Take care.  When in doubt, check with your bow's maker.

HMPE fibers have far less stretch and string creep than Dacron fibers, and with increased durability.  This allows for bowstrings with fewer strands and thus lighter mass weight, for a faster, and sometime quieter, bowstring.

As to what's the "best" or a "good" HMPE string fiber, that's subjective at best and you do need to do some testing on your own.

You'll get tons of conflicting opinions and IMO, a good starting point with modern string fiber is the popular BCY Dynaflight'97.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
There is also a difference in cost of the materials if you make your own, with B50 being the least expensive. However, if you consider the life of the string, then the modern fibers would actually be cheapest in my opinion. And, as Rob mentioned they allow building a skinnier string that in my experience has led to a quieter bow as well as about 5 fps faster speed. The speed increase is nice because it allows a somewhat heavier arrow to be used. Make sure your bow can handle these strings as mentioned.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
What is the padded loop concept?  I'm learning that even something as simple as a bowstring is not so simple these days.  This must be a sign I am getting old!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
A padded loop is just a string with extra strands in the loops. It is usualy done with low count strings as insurance for the nocks.{ 10 strands DF97 with 16 strands in the loops.}  The extra strands in the loop distribute the load of the string on a larger part of the bows nock. Any string material can be used for the padding, as it is just dead filler material.
A side effect is the padded loop strings are also quieter.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks - gonna have to start experimenting.

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
So the extra strands in the loops just lie alongside the "main" strands & are served into place, as a sort of filler or backing, but not actually "connected" to the main strands? I'm thinking of making a 450 skinny string just to try one out, & I want to be sure I understand this process. Thanks.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I've had custom strings made by CJC(a sponser here) that I've been very happy with.  Quite a bit less stretch than D97.  6 strand for lighter weight bows and 8 strand for heavier bows seems to work great.  Padded loops to 10-14 depending on how deep the string grooves are on the bow.  Really working out well.  There is another material out there that is called Ultracam that is supposed to be even better regarding low stretch, but I don't know of anyone making strings for sale with it.  If I knew how to make strings myself I would try it.  I'm sure others that know more than I do on the subject will chime in.  PM me if you want some resources that might help.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
What part of AL is Alexandria?  I'm in NE MS (not to far from Tupelo, real close to Red Bay AL).  If you want, you are welcome to come by my shop and I'll show you what I can.  I don't claim to know it all, but after making a thousand or so strings a year for the last several years even I have to learn something.  I've got dacron, Dynaflight '97, Formula 8125, and 450+.  I think opinions vary a lot more than the materials themselves.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©