3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY smallgame season thread  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY smallgame season thread
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Joe Sounds like a good afternoon.

How is the rabbit hunting on days like today (High winds)?

Hooper cant tell you from experience but from what I've heard you won't regret the JLMBH.

Bought some adder heads today, I figure for 4.50 per six count what the heck.  I'd spend half that on washers any way!  besides the local hardware store didn't have any washers to fit.

Anyone use these before?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
The adders work well, and take some punishment.

All set for tomorrow and the warm up. Hope to have hero pics for this thread...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Oops ,sorry I didnt read it was a NY Thread. My bad....  :o
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
That's ok Richard, we welcome all!  besides when i come back To Wi I''ll show you some of the best squirrels around.  I have a Big River bow being built in WI Rapids as we speak.   Usually make it back once a year hopefully twice a year as soon as I have more vac time.

Come to NY and you can post your story and pics   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Well I got my first hooper of 2010 this afternoon. I hunted behind my house and must of walked 100 miles and didn't see or jump a one until I entered my backyard,don't that figure. Caught him sitting in the hedgerow between me and my neighbors. Shot him sitting at about 10yrds and thought about jumping him for a running shot but it was just to dam close to dinner time and I was starving so I took the safe shot. ( LOL ). I have had 5 running shots so far and missed them all, hoping this year to get one on the run.

ishiwannabe - Thanks for the response to my question and I can't wait to see some of those hero pic's.

Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Hooper ya ought to come!! Last year we had people from 11 states and so far this year we are up to 7 states and Canada as well. It is a blast!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Nice bunny! I have managed to get three over the years, and the one running shot I made was pure luck! Sitting or running, a tough critter to take with a bow.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Shawn- Thanks, I am planning on attending. Sounds like you have a good pocket of hoopers there. Reminds of Chaumont Bay in the islands. Looking forward to meeting you and the other Trade Gang members.
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
How is the rabbit hunting on days like today (High winds)?  

I'm not trying to talk myself out of today but would like to know for days that are windy and I have an extra couple hours.

Do they just hide or can you catch them out!  I was thinking they might be out on steep hillsides out of the wind.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Well done Hooper.I've never hit one on the run either.But like Jamie said,they can be tough to get whether they're gittin' or sittin'.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Awesome Hooper.Good bunny there.Charles any weather is good if you have actual brushpile dens or really any type of structure where theyll live.You gotta do some convincing to get them out but if its their den theyre gonna be there at all times other than feeding.Get them moving from their dens and theyll usually stop for a second probably in brush where you cant shoot but they will stop many times.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Planning out how next Sunday is going down already!  It involves flinging arrows at rabbits.  Anyone else?

I can't wait to see what these adders will do to a rabbit.  They look kinda mean.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
After the bunny hunt warm up I still have bunny fever.I went out with my trusty mutt today close to home.He will only follow and will not walk ahead of me so I wind up busting all the brush piles myself when I hunt him.I managed to jump one today and missed another "Thread The Needle" shooting through a blowdown,missed that sucker by only a hair from 10 yards.He ran up the hill and all my dog would do is watch me to see what I was going to do. Man,,Im sure glad I was alone that was an embarrasing set of circumstances.Ill keep on trying to show him to see that theres more to life than laying on the couch and being spoiled by mama and the kids but man its gonna take some work. On the bright side I got a lot of stumping in and didnt loose any arrows.  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Izzy,

The rabbit hunt last weekend was a blast, it only fueled my fire.  If I were to take my dog, he would walk at my heels and then when I jump something he is fast enough to catch it.  He brought a rabbit home about in November that he caught in the back yard.  It was still warm.  I've seen him catch up to squirrels many times.  Sometimes I wonder who the dog is.

It was great meeting you!

Embarrassing or not you made an awesome shot at the JLMBH last year, just watched the video.

Good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Charles,we'll have to bring the mutts out together once or twice.Maybe mine will learn something.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Ha ha, mine wears a cute coat, since he is half bald (no hair on his belly)  Perhaps we can send them into the feild and sit at the house and shoot the $+*?.  Ok I don't want stinky arrows maybe just a target or two.   :biglaugh:

Are you attending the January MHTA shoot?  You can see my new bow.  in fact if you are impatient you can PM me your e-mail and I will forward some pics.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I'm just about ready to remove all my broadheads and install them there bunny busters.  :D  That makes me smile. Small game with a longbow is sooooooo relaxin' and fun.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Izzy we will bring Molly and Max with your dog. He will learn from them!! Molly is a freak, she has more energy and the best nose I have ever seen. I don't want her hunting bunnies as she is strictly my bird dog but she will run a muck with your dog! Me and Meat are heading out at 3:30 tomorrow for a quick bunny hunt, hopefully he will get his first kill, I saw 7 in the yard this afternoon!! We are gonna do the school push and the horse pasture push, lots of bunnies in both spots! OOOOHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Hope to get out next week...small game arras are all ready...gonna break in the new Toelke Whip

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm new to the Tradgang from NY. Been reading threads for awhile, and like the camaraderie. I've been trying to get out for some tree rats and some bunnies, but I've been sidelined with the flue for the last week and a half.  If I get some pictures, I'll be sure to post. Have fun-Sean Bleakley
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©