3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon arra length  (Read 1173 times)

Offline billy on the road

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon arra length
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Shot a round of field targets with a friend; he pointed out that my arrows are extra long.
 Looks like there may be 3-4" in front of my bow at full draw, plus whatever head is on the arrow.
 ...arrows are currently - 28", cabela's
55-75,100gr brass insert,125 screw in points. I shoot 58",50#, Red Wing Hunter,evidently drawn at @25 or 26.
 -Am I losing speed or cast, as I'm set up?
 -Will I gain speed or cast by going shorter?
 -Then, there comes the big one; Do I cut these arrows or buy new ones and start over with a different spine group?
 Any thoughts welcome...

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon arra length
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
www.bowmaker.net  has a tuning guide you should read.
 A long good flying arrow beats a short wobbly arrow every time.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
I personally leave mine full lenght, the biggest mistake I think most trad guys make is cutting thier arows.  If you are only pulling 25"or 26" you should go with the 35-55's IMO and yes leave them full length. if you hunt you gain abot 40gr leaving the length, and you can better balance the arrow if it's not too short.

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
both Pete and Matty are on the money! Leave them long it won't hurt a thing and it will give you extra arrow weightfor hunting. As long as the fly good they will be fine in my opinion.

LeRoy
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Jim/LI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
It is very likely that you have a problem that is much bigger than the length of the arrows.  3-4" from 28" indicates a draw length of 24-25".  I would bet the lower number is more likely.  Unless you are about 5' tall with short arms, this indicates a problem.  You are pulling about 40#, not 50 pounds.  You are also losing a lot of bow efficiency with a very short draw.  Your efficiency is probably about equivalent to someone else shooting a 35# bow drawn to a full 28".  I would recommend you try a very light weight bow.  Extend your draw so that your bow arm is almost straight and your drawing arm is pulled back so that you can achieve back tension.  That experiment will help identify your correct draw length.  If you cannot achieve that with the 50# bow, you are overbowed.

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Billy just grab your gear and bring it over, it's a lot easier to do this in person. Have you fixed up in no time at all!..........Steve
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline billy on the road

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Sounds good Steve...I'll be in touch. Thanx guys for all your comments.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©