3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting In Washington- What Not To Do  (Read 753 times)

Offline browningcobra

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting In Washington- What Not To Do
« on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
http://didia.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest/n-cascades/elk/10769726_xXySN#750672785_qpsGh

Thought some here might be interested in the recent uproar about hunting in Washington State. Its been a big news item here. A real black eye for all hunters and bowhunters in particular.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting In Washington- What Not To Do
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
That is one ugly situation.

Legal - yes, unethical - yes, Something the anti's will run with - yes.

I really feel for folks with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife trying to explain what happened and trying to smooth it over with all concerned parties.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Culling is never a pretty sight. Given the chance the guys would have probably used a high powered rifle, and the scene would have been looked upon as culling. Put a guy in camo walking around with a bow, stir in a dose of slow dying elk, and sprinkle with a good amount of ignorant passer by and it's a recipe for "Anti-Hunter Surprise"! The situation sucked for sure.

Around here you can get a permit to kill deer out of season if you can prove substantial crop loss, but I have never heard of corraling deer and letting hunters have at it. One thing for sure, it will be used against us.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
It is unfortunate the WA Fish & Game went thru with this hunt, because the previous year with muzzle loaders was a disaster.  I will never understand why the hunt was conducted in this manner, in plain view of a road. Surrounding the elk in this manner and shooting into a herd is bound to upset most people especially bystanders. It is obvious, they let the WBH's take the blame, boys I think you were setup.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
It is so unfortunate when you see a set up like this-no win...............the only thing you can do is walk-unless of course this appeals to you.
I like to do my killing in private.

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
I don't think there was really any "hunters" involved in this activity.  I'm a hunter and this activity really makes me sick.

hate to say it, but I don't feel that this is an appropriate thread for Trad Gang

if it is, it should be move to the Politics section

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
ditto bjorn....this is not hunting its shopping.this type of so called hunting is very very bad for all hunters.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
I agree with Kevin Braun... this just makes me absolutely SICK! I'd like to get ahold of those pricks that put a black eye to all real Hunters... seriously, that unethical slaughter really upsets me.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Part of the problem was the bystanders. The elk would have gotten away if they were not there blocking them. The story is written in such a way that it looks like the hunters rounded up the elk and killed them. This was a depredation hunt. The game department wanted 10 animals taken out of this herd of 80. 7 were taken. The bowhunters did nothing illegal. The only problem was people seeing it. Bowhunters have been doing drives for deer forever and no one has a problem with that. I to like to hunt in private and I don't think I could have shot one of those elk with bystanders watching just because I know how politically correct Washington is. At least the meat won't be wasted like it is when the game department shoots animals out of a helicopter to cull animals. Doesn't Jackson hole Wyoming have a drawing every year to shoot elk in there wintering grounds?

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
cch, driving animals where they can escape is one thing... pinning animals in where they have no chance of escape is just plain unethical. Yes, the bystanders did block an area, but when they did the hunt became unethical then. The so called hunters should have stopped their so called hunt right then! I know that they did not do anything illegal as far as laws are concerned, they did go completely illegal as far as ethics are concerned!

I am sorry, but if someone thinks that this hunt was OK then they really need to look at their own ethics as far as hunting is concerned.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, let's not call it a hunt.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
It's what it is!  A attempt to remove animals that are causing damage.  These have been going on for years and are not hunting.  Unfortunately, it's become a media circus and now fuel for anti hunting organizations.

I fail too see what thrashing this here has too do with tradbow hunting however.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I agree with Mr. Stout and Mr. Westvang!

Michael
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Yup.. pretty horrible. I thhink the most disappointing part is the "after a 4th arrow from an experienced archer" quote in the picture captions. Really? That one's a black eye for sure.
Is it September yet?!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I have been in a very disappointing conversation about this on a different site,
I agree it has no place on this one (Tradgang) because I would expect better behavior from Trad-Archers.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©